• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LOU1973: I'm back from my breast lift

Just a quick note to thank you all very much for your good wishes - they really meant a lot as only 3 of my real life friends and none of my family knew i was going in for the op so your thoughts were extra special - thank you.

Well happy to report I'm home safe and sound and feeling remarkable considering I went under the knife less than 48 hours ago - I'm moving around the house without too much pain (just a little slowly LOL) and in myself feel on top of the world. Am going to unpack and get myself sorted a little then I'll write up how it all went but just wanted to pop on and say I'm home safe and everything went fine
x

Just a quick note to thank you all very much for your good wishes - they really meant a lot as only 3 of my real life friend and none of my family knew i was going in for the op so your thoughts were extra sspecial - thank you.

Well happy to report I'm home safe and sound and feeling remarkable considering I went under the knife less than 48 hours ago - I'm moving around the house without too much pain (just a little slowly LOL) and in myself feel on top of the world. Am going to unpack and get myself sorted a little then I'll write up how it all went but just wanted to pop on and say I'm home safe and everything went fine
x

welcome home hunny, glad it all went well and your not feeling to badly ,wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing your after pics :)

xx

So pleased to hear everything went well. Good luck with the recovery process xxx

Oh that's brill news hun! Have thought about you every day and wondered how you've been getting on. Can't wait to hear all the details. Take your time hun and hope to see some pics of your lush new tum soon.
xx

On Tuesday I went in for a tummy tuck and liposuction arranged through the Harley medical group.

I found everyones stories on here really helpful when I was researching whether it was the right thing to do and so would like to return the favour and give my story.

My admission time was 11.30am at Highgate Hospital and I’d been told to not eat or drink after 7am. Frankly eating at 7am isn’t on my list of priorities anyway so I ate my last thing – a chunk of cheese and some ham at 10pm and set my alarm for 6am to have a drink of water then went back to sleep until 8am.

The taxi picked me up at 9.15 to take me to the station so I had an hour for a bath and to grab my suitcase before I left the house. From there it was a train into London, a tube to Highgate and a 10 min walk to the hospital.

I got there half an hour early which would usually be an excuse for a coffee and a cigarette but given that I had to give up smoking three days before the op (did have a little blip on Monday with one!!) I thought I’d go straight in.

Check in was easy and after I’d filled in some forms I was taken to my room a nice private room with its own bathroom and a window to the grounds but very much a hospital room. The next few hours were pretty boring – I unpacked, the nurse popped in to do final checks blood pressure, weight, height etc and other than that I was left to myself so I lay on the bed reading and trying to avoid how thirsty I was feeling (not drinking is much harder than not eating!!)

At about 1.45 Dr Pros popped in and got me to sign the consent form again, he took some pictures and got out his black marker and drew all over me – he said he had two minor operations before me and then I’d be going in for my op. More waiting, more reading. Then the anaesthetist came in to see me and checked my medical history again and said she’d see me at 4 and again I was left alone

Must have been feeling quite relaxed at this point as I feel asleep!!

Woke up about 3.30 and decided to change into my gown, support socks and gorgeous paper knickers and waited.

Just before 4pm the nurse came and got me and we walked together down to the room where they were going to put me under (I can’t remember the official name). This is the first time I was really nervous and my heart was pounding like you wouldn’t believe. I can’t explain why but it felt a bit different to when I’ve been under previously – it might be because the anaesthetist wasn’t waiting for me – I had to lie on the bed and wait for her then she kept popping in and out in between putting in the drain and she didn’t really talk to me. She also mentioned Dr Pro was preparing the theatre which was the room she kept popping into – it was a bit unnerving hearing clanking and clattering of instruments that were basically going to cut me open – it was just strange. Then she said “you ready” I said “yes” and as I looked at the clock 4.05 everything started to get a bit blurry – I felt pain up my arm as I went under which I’ve never felt before – I mentioned it but not sure if they replied as my next conscious thought was post op.

I’ve thought about this a lot because it’s odd. I felt very alive and not in the least groggy from the moment I woke up but I was back in my room so I guess I did come around in the recovery room and they wheeled me back to my hospital room but I must have blocked all of that out as my memory is very much of one minute being asleep and the next I was wide awake – no in and out of conciousness and being really sleepy as I’ve had before.

So I’m back in my room and I can feel something tight on my tummy but I’m not in pain, I’ve got a drip in, and around my legs they have these things that expand and contract. The nurse mentions that she’s put something on my lips to keep them moist and I immediately ask for a drink of water which she lets me have – bliss!!

As I say I feel really quite alive and not sleepy so I chatted to the nurse the normal types of q’s – did everything go ok etc. Quite soon after the doc came and saw me and said he was really pleased with how it all went then I was texting and reading in my room and drinking more water. Must confess I lifted the blankets to look at my tummy but just saw the huge compression garment, and two drains and not a lot else – also noticed I wasn’t wearing the knickers anymore which was a bit disconcerting for half a second then I realised modesty was probably inappropriate given that the team had seen my insides!! Was rather glad I’d done my bikini line the night before thou (LOL)

As soon as the drip had finished they removed it but kept the needle in my hand in case I needed any painkillers. They asked me if I wanted anything to eat and to be honest I didn’t but they brought me a few biscuits which I did end up eating.

When I wanted the loo I needed to call the nurse – mainly because I was still attached to the bed with the leg compression thingies and they had to unhook me. The nurse helped me get up and came with me to the toilet and of course I couldn’t go – turned out to be stage fright – when she left me on my own in there I was fine. She helped me back to bed and I did feel a little sick from the exertion but again I wasn’t in pain everything just felt tight.

By now I think it was bed time as the hospital was quiet but of course I couldn’t sleep – I think I may have dozed lightly but seemed to spend a lot of time looking at the ceiling waiting for them to come and check my blood pressure again. About 3ish I got so bored I put the telly on and watched that for a couple of hours – after I was helped to the loo I asked the nurse not to put the leg compressors back on as I couldn’t sleep with them and she didn’t so eventually I managed to get to sleep but don’t think it was very long before the hospital woke up – nurse came in to check blood pressure, breakfast and paper etc arrived. Of course I managed to doze through all of this so by the time I felt awake enough for breakfast my scrambled eggs were cold.

Not long after at 9 the doctor came to see me again and checked the garment and the drains and said they’d take the drains out before I left the following day. The nurse came in and I asked if I could have a shower. She said no – that I couldn’t have a shower until my first appointment with the harley medical group which was in a week – no shower for a week!!! To make myself feel better I got out of my hospital gown and put on my nightdress and some knickers (the drains were coming out of me slightly below where my knickers would normally sit so they weren’t massively comfortable but I felt better wearing them.)

The rest of the day was to be honest fairly monotonous – I finished my book, had my blood pressure taken every now and then, got up to go to the loo – unassisted by this point as I wasn’t hooked up to the leg compressors, dozed and was brought my meals. They also gave me my first antibiotic which I will have to take twice a day. The only drama came at the end of the day when I went to the loo and noticed blood at the top of my knickers – one of the drains had come a little lose and they had to change the drain dressing.

Sleeping overnight wasn’t easy - again not the pain in my tummy (I am still amazed how little pain there was) but by now my back was hurting and I could only lie in one position. Whenever I needed the loo it was a bit of a struggle to get up and I was starting to worry a little about going home the following morning – I had a friend I could call on if I needed her but I really hoped to be able cope OK on my own.

7am and the hospital came alive again – they came and took my blood pressure for the last time and my breakfast and paper was delivered. By the time I had finished breakfast the nurse came in to take the drain out – it was a weird sensation having them removed but it was remarkable how mobile I felt once they had been removed – it was easier to get out of bed and move around and by now I was ready to go home so I got up and started packing. The pharmacist popped in with my antibiotics to take home and then the doctor came in at 9 – he looked at the garment again said he was happy for me to be discharged, wished me a good Christmas and said he’d see me in the new year.

And that was that – I just needed to wait for my car to take me home – he was a bit delayed so I stripped the bed (yes the removal of the drains had made that much difference!!) and walked to reception to wait for him, got a bit bored of waiting so took myself for a walk around the outside of the hospital – fresh air feels so good after being cooped up for 2 days.

Once he turned up he drove me home and the trip was remarkably comfortable considering I’d had major surgery.

So I’ve been home for about two hours and currently I’m lying on the sofa typing this – I have no worries about being able to look after myself – I’ve been up and down to the loo and to the kitchen and although I’m slower and stiffer than usual I feel fine – in fact when I’m lying down the only thing I can feel is the compression garment which is quite tight.

Frustratingly I still haven’t seen the wound or my tummy as it’s been encased in the garment and wont come off for a week. I really don’t know how much of a difference it’s made – my tummy definitely looks flat under the garment but it’s so tight I’m sure if they had put it on my old tummy if would have looked flat. My tummy also looks broader and I can’t define my waist but the surgeon has mentioned that it’s just swelling and it’ll take a few weeks for that to go down.

So that’s it for now – the exciting time will come on Tuesday when I see my tummy for the first time and can put up before and after photos

oh one thing i forgot to say is the doctor said he removed 1.5kg of skin which if my maths is right is about 3.5lbs

Well done chick! You sound like you are coping extremely well. Take it easy though even if you feel able to cope because your body needs all its available resources to heal the wound properly. It's brill that you are feeling so good though. You are definitely over the worst of it now and so if you feel this great now just imagine how you'll feel come Christmas and New Year. :D

I know what you mean about the pain. The wound itself didn't hurt too bad. I just felt really stiff and restricted because of the tightened skin. My upper abs being repaired contributed to this I think as they were quite sore and made it hard to change position. I walked so slowly afterwards and I am still not back to my normal pace - although not far off.

Is your posture a bit stooped? How about your drains? What were they measuring when they were removed? Did they tell you to expect any fluid build up?

I know I've already said this but I just can't wait to see your results. I'm so excited for you because I know how good the elation feels at kissing goodbye to that apron of skin. :D
xx

oh one thing i forgot to say is the doctor said he removed 1.5kg of skin which if my maths is right is about 3.5lbs

Bonus! :D

I've been stressing about my weight because I gained 5 pounds post-op in 2 weeks but have lost it again so I guess it was water retention. Stupid I know since I'm meant to be concentrating on recovering but it really has been doing my head in. I'm going to start gentle exercise on the stationary bike now since I got the go ahead from my GP.
x

Is your posture a bit stooped? How about your drains? What were they measuring when they were removed? Did they tell you to expect any fluid build up?

I know I've already said this but I just can't wait to see your results. I'm so excited for you because I know how good the elation feels at kissing goodbye to that apron of skin. :D
xx

Definately stooped yes - although if I'm moving for a few minutes I straighten up a bit more - i think i just need to get my flexibility back

One drain got no extra liquid in it from yesterday morning when they emptied it to this morning - the other ended up with a little in but not too much - they didn't really mention any fluid build up with having taken the drains out - I'll check when I see them on tuesday

I've put some initial photos up of me bound up in my compression garment but don't think they are that impressive and nothing like yours - i think my waist looks thicker and I look like a baby elephant but am hoping by the time tuesday comes around some of that liquid will have gone and when they take the garment off I'll see a difference - crimes I hope so.

Definately stooped yes - although if I'm moving for a few minutes I straighten up a bit more - i think i just need to get my flexibility back

One drain got no extra liquid in it from yesterday morning when they emptied it to this morning - the other ended up with a little in but not too much - they didn't really mention any fluid build up with having taken the drains out - I'll check when I see them on tuesday

I've put some initial photos up of me bound up in my compression garment but don't think they are that impressive and nothing like yours - i think my waist looks thicker and I look like a baby elephant but am hoping by the time tuesday comes around some of that liquid will have gone and when they take the garment off I'll see a difference - crimes I hope so.

Wow you're doing well with your fluid then. By 5 days post-op I had 30ml. Hopefully you won't get a build-up like I have.

I haven't seen your pics yet, will go and have a look shortly. I'm sure you'll notice a massive difference though hun - especially come Tuesday. I could see the benefit on day one and if you weren't bound up and could see the apron had been removed you'd feel so much better.

Hey! You're a bit like a Christmas present waiting to be unwrapped. Haha! :D No peeking or prodding. The result will be worth the wait.
x

I have just read your entire thread and love your honesty and detail. I hope that the tummy looks great when it's revealed to you on Tuesday. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks Thaialina - Poppy has a great thread - she's two weeks ahead of me and her story really kept me motivated and excited as the big day approached.

well 5 days ago exactly the surgeon was working his magic on my tummy and I'd been "under" for about an hour.

In 2 days I'll get to see the first glimpse of his work and hopefully be able to have my first shower in a week. I've been pretty bored at home as I've been trying to take it easy but know the recovery is important and necessary.

I remain amazed by my recovery which is so much better, quicker and easier than i thought it would be. By yesterday I was carrying suitcases/ washing upstairs and sleeping on my tummy!! Don't get me wrong it's still a little sore when I go from sitting or lying to standing and it takes a couple of mins for my tummy to feel comfortable being at full stretch standing up but once I'm used to it I'm fine. When lying on my tummy to sleep I can't wriggle around and have to stay still but when I do I don't feel any pain at all. I'm finding getting up so much easier and smoother as well and my arms aren't getting anything like the workout they were being used to push my body weight up. I still feel a little swollen but definately not as bad as I was. The pain now feels like a bit of an extreme version of when you've overdone it at the gym and everything aches when you move.

On Tuesday I have my first follow up appt and am seriously considering driving there (it's about 40 mins away). Legally you can drive 48 hrs after an anesthetic providing you can emergency stop. I've sat on the sofa and simulated it and think I can but will go out on monday for a quick practice run to my local shops and depending on how that goes will make a decision on driving.

My only concern at the moment (daft as this sounds) is that my recovery has been so easy compared to some that I am worried he hasn't done a very good job tightening the skin and that it's still quite loose which is why I'm not pulling/ stooping like others. I've looked through the compression garment and it looks ok but I guess I'm not going to know until Tuesday as the compression garment is so tight it would be holding any loose skin in anyway. Because the garment is white I can see the dressings underneath and where there is blood on them I can follow where the scar looks like it is - it's a little higher than I was expecting at slightly above my knicker line but again I know I should stop speculating until tuesday and if that is the case I'll just have to change the style of knickers i buy (I've been tempted so often to take the garment off and have a proper look but I don't think I'd be able to put it back on on my own as the one time they tightened it in the hospital it took two of them)

I'm still planning on losing a few pounds post op - about 10 or so I think although not sure - and prior to the op was on a high protein diet. I gave myself a few days before the op off and obviously whilst I was in hospital and got back onto it on Friday (protein is good when recovering from an op). Because I ate carbs I've been avoiding the scales as I'm sure even with the 3.5lbs of skins that was removed the scales would have shown me as heavier and why depress myself but tomorrow morning I'm going to be brave and start weighing myself again. Once the recovery is well and truly on track and xmas is over early Jan I'll set myself my final goal because I have two very important resolutions for 2009

1) maintain my weight within a few pounds for the year
2) join the gym and exercise 5 times a week

These are important to me as once I get my head around a diet losing weight isn't that tough but I find keeping it off the challenge. Last time I failed at this because I didn't like what I saw in the mirror - the plan is if I can like my tummy in the mirror I'll keep the focus on keeping it that way.

I may go and get arms and boobs done next year as well but am going to give my body a break for a bit as I've had two ops in 4 months and don't want to push my luck too much - plus I want to really investigate the boob job element as it's a life long commitment - go and see surgeon every year plus it doesn't last forever so I want to ensure I'm totally informed and don't make an impulsive decision.

Crimes turned out to be a long post. For those of you also post op I hope you are well and recovering nicely. For those of you pre op I hope these ramblings help as others posts have helped me.

Tuesday or Wednesday I will hopefully be able to put up post op piccies

well I braved the scales and I've lost 1.8lb in 2 weeks which is basically a combination of 1) a few days of putting on weight pre op 2) being in hospital 3) removal of 3.5lb skin during op 4) swelling as a result of the op 5) 3 days back on diet so all together not a bad result

Will let the scales even themselves out over the next couple of weeks and set myself a small goal for the new year

On another note I leapt out of bed this morning - very strange but I woke up and decided it was time to get up I sat up quickly and sort of jumped out of bed (sorry you must be getting bored of me making these comments but I'm just so surprised and grateful as I had been wondering how I would cope with xmas with the family - my sister has three very active kids who love spending time with their auntie lou as I play with them loads and was a little concerned this year I would be boring auntie lou).

Gonna try driving to my local shops today and may take myself for a walk as I'm a bit bored of being house bound

Last edited:
You sound like you're doing really well hun. Don't worry. I don't think it means your surgeon hasn't done a good job. You are obviously very healthy and able to recover more easily than some and you see to have a good pain threshold. Everyone's different. It's like when people ask me about my tattoos and the pain. People with no tattoos want to know if getting a tattoo will hurt them and it's like asking how long is a piece of string. Everyone is different.

I can imagine you'd be going out of your mind with the suspense. I would for sure! It's only one day now though. Can't wait to see your pics as well as your sigh of relief. :)

Embrace your easy recovery hun. You've done so well. This past 5 days I have been doing things relatively back to normal. Climbing, reeaching, running up the stairs, etc. Not back to normal as quickly as yourself but also proof that the op doesn't necessarily make people housebound for a month.
x

Lou I'm so glad all went well! You must be very excited about tomorrow - 1.5kg is loads. How long do they usually advise you to 'take it easy'? It sounds like your recovery has been speedy but don't over-do things especially being on your own :) ... I'm like that so just preaching what I don't practise ;) Will take a look at pics shortly. Take care. xx

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You seem to have made a very quick recovery, hope I'm as lucky lol. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

well I'm back from the shops - driving was absolutely fine and i ended up buying quite a few bits and pieces in town so ended up lugging some pretty heavy bags around with me.

Felt ok whilst I was out driving and walking was fine (don't think anyone would have guessed what was going on under my clothes ;-)) and even tried some clothes on in DP - and bought them LOL. Now having a rest on the sofa and can feel my tummy pulsing a little bit (you know like your legs can after a good session on the tread mill) so think I need to take it easy this evening.

Meant to say earlier took my final antibiotic tablet this morning

Appt 2mrw - yecks

Lou I'm so glad all went well! You must be very excited about tomorrow - 1.5kg is loads. How long do they usually advise you to 'take it easy'? It sounds like your recovery has been speedy but don't over-do things especially being on your own :) ... I'm like that so just preaching what I don't practise ;) Will take a look at pics shortly. Take care. xx

Thanks - they usually say to take 2 weeks off work and even despite my easy recovery I'm glad I did - I work in central london and am not sure how I'd feel commuting in every day and then sitting at a desk for 8 hours. Luckily don't have to do that until january now so plenty of time to wind up to it. Having said that I also have the option to work from home and to be honest could easily have done that from today.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You seem to have made a very quick recovery, hope I'm as lucky lol. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

When are you having the operation?

Back