• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lurker no more , life is leaner on the other side

Really pleased it went well mate! Good luck with the future fills :)x

Thanks Mark and thanks to everyone who offered their congratulations.

I decided to take of the plasters today and most of the scarring is non existent. The big scar where the port is doesn't seem to have healed so well and is still quite raw. I've left the rest uncovered and put a plaster back over the big one. My stomach does seem rather swollen but hopefully this will be gone by monday.

I've been drinking tea, mulitpower protein shakes and water. I haven't been drinking alot but I feel as if I can manage more today. I'll have to see how it goes.

On the pre op diet I really liked Oxo but now I can't stand it. I think its because by the time I've taken a few sips the whole cup is cold.

Im going into the Dr's surgery this morning to use their weighing machine as the two in my house are giving me totally different readings.

I don't feel like I need most of the medication, however I'm still going to take up until Sunday. I don't think i'll be too productive at work after taking a tramadol

Hi topboi,

My port scar is the one that's still the most uncomfortable, the others aren't a problem, maybe this is the one that takes longest to heal, although I haven't taken my plasters off yet, but scared to in-case they don't look good, lol.
Have you tried eating smooth yogurts and cup-a-soups, i'm finding them ok and the soup is quite warming in this weather. I've just been trying to mix my flavours up etc as I think i'm going to get quite bored of the liquids soon, 3 more weeks on fluids is a long time.
Anyway, best of luck with the weigh in later, let us know how you get on :)

Hi Katie,

I didn't make it to the surgery on time so I'll have to do it one night after work.

Im only on liquids until next tuesday and then I get to the puree phase which lasts for 1 week. I haven't really tried mixing up my intake. Im making sure I have protein and trying to get through water, Im not keeping to my fluid goals so I've got to pick that up.

I've just come in and heated up a protein shake only about 1/3 of a cup and I am so full. It sounds strange but Im so happy that so little makes me feel so full

Hi topboi,

It sounds as-though each provider gives different lenghts of time for the liquid stage then, although I do think 4 weeks is quite a long time to stay on liquids, i'll definately be missing chewing by then, but i'm going to stick to it, or try to at least, lol.
I've been finding it difficult to take in all the fluids too, they told me 2 litres a day, which pretty much means I need to be sipping something all day to get through that.
I know what you mean about feeling full on a small amount, it is a good feeling :) I tried a small bowl of smooth tomato soup yesterday and only managed half of it before I had to get up and move about as I felt so full and uncomfortable... but that is a good thing, just need to tune in to my bodies signals so I don't get to the uncomfortable stage, i'm sure it will come in time though.

Really strange today.

I had a stange panick that my band has slipped. Im sure it hasn't but something feels really different today. Im not sure why but my full feeling has weakened since this morning.

The swelling on my stomach and pain when moving is virtually non existent today.

I had my usual protein shake and also a oxo drink and could really feel the restriction everytime I swallowed, but since about 3 ive had a lot of gas and not I'm getting the same feeling when I drink anything.

Im not sure what it is, but I hope that the full feeling returns tomorrow.

Does it sound like it could of slipped??

Hi topboi,

I've had a similar feeling over the last couple of days, I actually thought I had what felt like a bit of a hunger pang earlier, although a slim fast took the edge off it, but I did get the whole thing down fairly quickly without any problems. My consultant told me that the pain would become less and less as each day goes by and they do say that recovery time is only about a week for bands, so I would assume that the swelling has gone down and perhaps some of the tightness caused by the swelling and bruising has relaxed around your stomach which may make you feel less restricted.... this is how it seems to have felt for me anyway as i'm not feeling the restriction I was expecting at the moment, however my first fill is in 4 weeks, so that should sort it out. The only pain I've got now is around my port area and that's no-where near as bad, just tender and twinges when I bend the wrong way etc.
I'm sure everything will be fine, but if you're worried phone your provider.

Awww Katie I'm so glad that we can use each other as benchmarks seen as we both had surgery on exactly the same day.

Im not sure what has changed from this morning till now but you must be right. The swelling has probably gone down. I must admit I still cant imagine swallowing anything solid.

Like you my port scare is still the only one slightly hurting. It also hurts when I breath or tense my stomach the pain is on the left just below my belly button.

Im going to see how I feel in the morning when I have my first drink. Im going back to work tomorrow so hopefully moving around will help in the weightloss.

Im aiming for 2kg this week!

Yes it is realy helpfull to be able to speak to people that have had the surgery at the same time :)
I've hear that on a morning a lot of people with the band fel extra restriction anyway and this relaxes through the day, so this combined with the reduction of swelling will probably be what you're feeling.
My pain is very similar, when tensing my stomach etc, I get to take my dressings off tonight and have a good luck at the wounds, so hope they're ok, lol.
Good luck with the first day back at work and don't overdo it. I've got another week off, although i'm going to be doing some work from home to keep me busy.
I've not set myself a target for this week yet, set myself 2 stone off for Xmas day, and i'm 12lb's down already since starting pre-op diet. Although I might set myslef a weekly target too for some extra motivation!

Well this week has been good so far. I have really bad pains in my stomach about 30% of the day. I just want to do a really big burp but I can't, so it must be gas.

I never made it down to the surgery to weigh on their scales, but according to my scales I've hit my target already. I went back to the gym exactly 1 week after and manged 15mins on the bike and some light weights (yes I made sure I kept them light).

Ive transfered into my next eating stage and have stuck to it. I did have to chew something the other day and then spit it out. I just needed to actually chew something. I think it tricked my brain and I was fine after that.

I took my last plaster of which was the big one over my port. It is healing well and all my others are barley visible. I always put a bit of purrell over the big one because it looks large enough to still get an infection ...why purrell....we've run out of TCP.

My restriction is still there so I'm still healing inside. I think part of my restriction is actually the gas which I am suffering from.

I got all my appointments through. My first fill is the 22nd!!! Im so happy its before Xmas even though I have two office functions to go to before the 22nd I know the most temptation will come from the 24th onwards. I also have another appointment to see my surgeon and one with the dietician all within the last week of december and the first three weeks of Jan ....hopefully my fill is OK and I will only be visiting every 3/6 months.

I got a email from one of the other trust I was hoping to get surgery from. I had already asked to take me of the list but the "secretary" wasn't sure how to do it. Anyway I emailed the clinical nurse and guess what she is off until 8th December so I spent half an hour on the phone trying to explain to her that she needs to discharge me and re refer me to my orginal surgeon which was for another health ailment.

Im already feeling much more confident with losing the weight I have lost. I got a strange comment from my boss (male) when he said I looked really different and obviously my annual leave did me the world of good.

I wore a coat I had hung up for when I loose weight this week. Only wore it once though... I'm all for fashion but it was too cold to be a victim two days in a row.

Just passing by to give a update

Well my weight is still dropping without the fill. I still have restriction but it weigns out by the night so thats when I need my will power the most.

Typical day is

B - half a fat free activia with two heaped tea spoons of whey protein.

Coffee

L Soup half a cup

NAS Juice

D Half tin of tuna. 2 wheat crackers

I Went out on saturday to a 21st.....a little alcohol goes a long way TRUST me. I really enjoyed myself my mate who is usually the drunk one finally knew how it felt to be on the otherside.

It didn't end to well. I remember heading of to KFC and ending up screaming as I swallowed something a bit to big and the pain was awful.

Im sure the council must have it on cctv......and it must look hilarious...how could one bite of chicken cause so much harm.....

What that episode did proved was that willpower is eliminated by alcohol, however imagine if I had a fill I wouldn't of even managed half a portion of fries even if i wanted to. I only managed about three and two bites of a wing.

After all that . I woke up the next afternoon...jumped on the scales and had lost two lb's.YAY.

During the week I have been really strict with my protein and I'm keen to keep on my muscle and its working. I've been doing lots of excercise at home like push ups and sit ups/crunches every morning.

The thing that im really happy about is that everytime I lose some weight. I know that by rights I will never be that weight again. I have started to chuck out my old clothes and I'm wearing another item out of my smaller side of the wardrobe today and its not uncomfortable.

I've set myself a goal of losing another 5kgs before my fill on the 22nd. Its a bit steep, but not impossible.

Any questions or oberservations??

Hi Topboi,
Just read your diary through.
Sounds like the band is really working for you.
Good Luck with the rest of your weight loss journey
Leanne x

:) I don't expect you're the first person to scream after one bite of kfc!!!

Hi Chrstal! Hows it all going....

Fanx for the support poppet and scooby!

Went to the Dr's today to get an accurate weight. Happy with their scales as I'm even lighter on them! Im still going to keep my target at 5kgs by 22nd. If I hit this target I'll be my post 2 weeks usa/mexico all inclusive weight. I know it will be tough but Im up for the fight!

The receptionist at the Drs started asking me how I was doing and said how she could really see a difference and told me how she was considering wls herself....I dont think she gave the game away but she could of been a bit more tactful. Shes a nice lady so I know there was no malice behind it!

I went into a supermarket today. I hardly picked up anything and what I get did ended up in the freezer. So tempted to get the ben and jerrys and better than half price but I thought whats the point. I watched the box set of Fat Friends whilst recovering last Sunday and they kept quoting the line which Kate Moss is being tarnished over..."Nothing taste as good as skinny feels"

I feel so exhausted lately but hopefully i'll get a energy zap as Im of to the gym a bit later. I'm not going to do anything too heavy just some rowing and some light weights.

As I mentioned in a another post I think my hair is starting to break. So im uping the vits and thinking about "protective styles".

Update.

I had a really rough week. I went to a work conference and experienced being sick (at least the toilets where nice). I was sick because a piece of not well chewed chicken just wouldn't go down. I felt like I couldnt breath I managed to style it out but it was all very dramatical for me internally.

This episode frightened me because I haven't even got a fill and I can't imagine how little I will be able to have when the 7.5mls goes in my band. It wil really be chew chew chew chew chew tiny swallow from now on. My fill is just two weeks away. Just before xmas so it will be liquids and spirits over xmas.

On the positive side I am on target and I have met the first target I set myself when I had surgery. I've got two more 2kgs to lose before I hit my summer 2008 weight. (I think I looked good and was happy at my weight at that time). Also another positive I wore a large shirt to work this week rather than the usual xlarge or the xxlarge sizes I was wearing just a few months ago.

I have kept up with the mainly protein diet. When eating I havent struggled to find something. I had a weetabix with soya milk and candarel when I woke up at 3 this morning it was soooo nice. It was strange to have a middle of night hunger pain but it was the best thing available at the time.

I haven't kept up with the Gym as much as I hoped so I've been doing floor stuff at home. I think if I go gym i will get that hunger and it will be at the time of the day when my band is the least restrictive (evening).

I did visit my gym to do a fitness assesment for my health insurance. It had improved my fitness level by 3 points so hopefully lower premiums. I had to do a step test and it was much easier than the last time simply because I wasn't carrying so much.

All my scars are healed. I apply EVOO everynight and there are fading.

Hope everyone is doing well and making good progress :)

Topboi

Hi Topboi

Things are going really well for me. Had an appointment with the dietician last week and I had lost another 4.4kg, which is really good. She said she does not want to see me again until post op, which is really good. All being well should get my op Feb/March 2010.

Sorry to hear that you have had an episode of being sick but I guess once it happens you try not to do it again. I do like the idea of liquids/spirits over Xmas.

Fantasic news about the shirt size and the fitness test.

Keep up the good work.

Back