• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Midline abdominal weakness?

gbone

I used to be super obese
Having just heard about my PCTs criteria they insist on a BMI of <26 not great news for me I am a pretty big guy but losing another 2 stone is easier than saving 5 grand:),I find bmis a bit unfair to pretty big guys as at 13st 7 I will be very lean almost bodybuilder lean,my fat free mass is around 12 st 10 is there anyway around this stipulation? otherwise I will have to diet down below 10% bodyfat seems a bit harsh,they also insist on a midline weakness in the abdominal musculature,anyone know what this is or how to find out if you have one,will my GP do it?

Having just heard about my PCTs criteria they insist on a BMI of <26 not great news for me I am a pretty big guy but losing another 2 stone is easier than saving 5 grand:),I find bmis a bit unfair to pretty big guys as at 13st 7 I will be very lean almost bodybuilder lean,my fat free mass is around 12 st 10 is there anyway around this stipulation? otherwise I will have to diet down below 10% bodyfat seems a bit harsh,they also insist on a midline weakness in the abdominal musculature,anyone know what this is or how to find out if you have one,will my GP do it?

Hi hun. I had never really thought about it like that before but I see what you mean about the discrepancy with BMI.

I had my abdominal wall sutured back together during an NHS tummy tuck. It's changed my life. I really hope you get it sorted. I think you should discuss your BMI concerns with your GP. Why shouldn't the PCT incorporate other tests in these sort of circumstances?

Good luck mate!
xx

Men and women can get abdominal wall separation from gaining too much weight.

Pregnancy is the most common cause which is called Diastasis Recti.Diastasis recti - Symptom

Video's not for the squeamish!

But they do show how the abdominal wall is repaired during a TT.

YouTube - Tummy Tuck Muscle Repair with 3D CAT scan

YouTube - Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck Surgery Video

Mini hun the second video is fantastic. Thank you for that. Its very satisfying for me to see what happened during my TT - especially the suturing bit. I had wondered about it.
xx

You can test your self for the midline weakness by doing the following:

lie on you back with you knees bent
pull up like a sit up but only for a few inches
hold the postition and place your hand just under your belly button
use your forefingers and slightly press down

If you have a midline weakness you'll feel a sort of gap between your two muscles.
This is how how the midwives told me to do it after i'd had my baby. Luckily I managed to repair mine by doing abdominal exercises (Not situps, they can make it worse apparently).
Good luck, hope you get the news you want soon.

Back