• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Tummy Tuck Diary (Pics Included)

PoppyPoo

Inky Minx
Dear friends,

Now that my dream of getting a full tummy tuck is finally a reality, I thought I'd start a diary (including photos) as a source of information for others.

Of course, I do realise that all PCTs (NHS Primary Care Trusts who decide if they will fund the op or not) differ from area to area, causing a postcode lottery. However, my experience will hopefully give hope to anyone that has medical grounds to get an NHS tummy tuck but thinks it is not possible or is apprehensive about approaching their GP.

Please Note: NHS tummy tucks can cause controversy. Please be aware that I have medical grounds for this procedure. As a result of suffering from weight-loss-induced excess tummy skin, I have suffered numerous infections around my c-section scar area as well as very severe depression. These infections have caused further permanent damage to the scar. Getting rid of this infliction is not an act of vanity. I am disfigured and the help is available to take it away and make me feel relatively normal again. If someone was born with a deformity nobody would refuse them the right to have this fixed with NHS funding. My excess tummy skin isn't just the natural result of carrying babies. It's the result of a huge weight loss and two major abdominal surgeries (NHS c-sections). I don't mind my stretch marks. I quite like them actually. They're a reminder of what a wonderful thing I've achieved. But the excess skin, the infections, the feeling disfigured, the severe depression, it has made my life unbearable. Please read on as I share my journey in diary form...

MY TUMMY TUCK DIARY

1998: 23 years of age, 5 foot 3 inches tall, and normally 9.5 st in weight, I had my first child (a 9 pounder) by c-section. I gained nearly 6 stone because of a gestational glucose intolerance. Before my pregnancy I was ultra-fit. I even worked part-time giving inductions and at my college gym. I therefore started off with a pretty strong abdominal wall.

2000: I lost all the weight but was left with a horrible overhang of excess skin and weakened abdominal wall.

2003: I had my 2nd child by c-section (another 9 pounder). I gained 3 stone and lost it within half a year. My overhang worsened.

March 2008: One day, at my wit's end, I googled 'NHS tummy tuck' and was directed to Minimins where I found a host of encouraging information.

May 2008: After plucking up the courage to show my mum and a close friend what my tummy looked like underneath my clothes and comparing it to theirs (both middle aged women that have also had big babies but not by c-section) I was convinced it was time to reveal my embarassing problem to my GP.

My GP was very sympathetic and she contacted Addenbrookes Hospital Plastic Surgery Team in Cambridge (the nearest plastic surgery clinic to West Norfolk).

They responded with a questionnaire to see if I met the PCT's criteria.

August 2008:
I received an appointment letter for a consultation with a plastic surgeon (meaning the PCT had awarded the funding for the op).

September 2008: I had my consultation. My tummy was examined, weight and height taken, criteria questions asked again, concerns about the op discussed, photos taken, forms signed.

October 2008: I received an appointment letter and arranged a date for my tummy tuck (November 25th 2008)

The process (from the first visit to my GP to the actual op date) took just half a year. I had initially thought that even if I was lucky enough to be awarded the funding to have the op done on the NHS I would have to wait years.

Please see my photo albums for pre-op photos of my tummy and I'll look forward to updating the album after the op... http://www.minimins.com/members/11372-poppypoo-albums.html

Thanks for reading,
Poppy-Poo
x

Last edited:
Thanks Emma! :)

Make sure you come and have a peep at my pics when I'm post-op. You'll just need to add me to your contacts to view my albums.

good luck for the 25th, i hope all goes well for you, as you deserve this op very much !
best wishes
liz

Thanks Liz! :) I still can't believe it actually. I've suffered so long because of it that it feels like a dream that I'm finally getting it sorted. So excited but a bit nervous too.
x

Hi Poppypoo, I would love to see your pics and ultimately post op updates. I'm having surgery in Dec for a hernia and stretched abs (2 c-sections and a 10lb 13 baby). It isn't a TT so i'm not lucky enough for them to take my apron away - my abs make me still look pregnant (my bump didn't go down). I may go private for full TT in the future so it'd be great to follow your progress. I've requested you as a friend, i'm new to this forum so if this is wrong can you let me know? Thanks

Hi FocusedTer. Good luck with the op. Even though you're not getting a tuck, I'm sure the procedure will make you feel loads better. It can't be fun looking pregnant all the time when you're not.

I'll go and accept your friend request now so you can view my pre-op pics. Catch you later! :)

xx

HI again, I'm new to all this and not sure what i'm doing wrong but if i click on your link (1st post) i'm not given permission. Am I doing something wrong? should i be going somewhere else to get access...? sorry to be a pain.

Hi FT. I don't know. I have accepted you into my friend's list so you should be able to view it. Try the links under my username on the left.

Hi Poppypoo... Thanks for that. I've not got access yet as i'm a newbie. I have to do 50 posts first.... i'll be in touch. I'd better get posting.

Oh I see! Haha! What diet are you on? Maybe you could go in that specific forum and get/give some advice. It shouldn't take too long to get enough posts under your belt once you get stuck into some active threads. Speak to you soon. xx

I'm on cambridge diet - been there posting the day away! Be there soon I hope...

HI POPPY
Im new to this site and wanted to view your albums as iv just had a tummy tuck after my 4th pregnancy .The site wont give me access to your albums,maybe im doing something wrong.
Anyway good luck with your op.Il come back soon to see how you got on
Debbie xx

Dear friends,

Now that my dream of getting a full tummy tuck is finally a reality, I thought I'd start a diary (including photos) as a source of information for others.

Of course, I do realise that all PCTs (NHS Primary Care Trusts who decide if they will fund the op or not) differ from area to area, causing a postcode lottery. However, my experience will hopefully give hope to anyone that has medical grounds to get an NHS tummy tuck but thinks it is not possible or is apprehensive about approaching their GP.

Please Note: NHS tummy tucks can cause controversy. Please be aware that I have medical grounds for this procedure. As a result of suffering from weight-loss-induced excess tummy skin, I have suffered numerous infections around my c-section scar area as well as very severe depression. These infections have caused further permanent damage to the scar. Getting rid of this infliction is not an act of vanity. I am disfigured and the help is available to take it away and make me feel relatively normal again. If someone was born with a deformity nobody would refuse them the right to have this fixed with NHS funding. My excess tummy skin isn't just the natural result of carrying babies. It's the result of a huge weight loss and two major abdominal surgeries (NHS c-sections). I don't mind my stretch marks. I quite like them actually. They're a reminder of what a wonderful thing I've achieved. But the excess skin, the infections, the feeling disfigured, the severe depression, it has made my life unbearable. Please read on as I share my journey in diary form...

MY TUMMY TUCK DIARY

1998: 23 years of age, 5 foot 3 inches tall, and normally 9.5 st in weight, I had my first child (a 9 pounder) by c-section. I gained nearly 6 stone because of a gestational glucose intolerance. Before my pregnancy I was ultra-fit. I even worked part-time giving inductions and at my college gym. I therefore started off with a pretty strong abdominal wall.

2000: I lost all the weight but was left with a horrible overhang of excess skin and weakened abdominal wall.

2003: I had my 2nd child by c-section (another 9 pounder). I gained 3 stone and lost it within half a year. My overhang worsened.

March 2008: One day, at my wit's end, I googled 'NHS tummy tuck' and was directed to Minimins where I found a host of encouraging information.

May 2008: After plucking up the courage to show my mum and a close friend what my tummy looked like underneath my clothes and comparing it to theirs (both middle aged women that have also had big babies but not by c-section) I was convinced it was time to reveal my embarassing problem to my GP.

My GP was very sympathetic and she contacted Addenbrookes Hospital Plastic Surgery Team in Cambridge (the nearest plastic surgery clinic to West Norfolk).

They responded with a questionnaire to see if I met the PCT's criteria.

August 2008: I received an appointment letter for a consultation with a plastic surgeon (meaning the PCT had awarded the funding for the op).

September 2008: I had my consultation. My tummy was examined, weight and height taken, criteria questions asked again, concerns about the op discussed, photos taken, forms signed.

October 2008: I received an appointment letter and arranged a date for my tummy tuck (November 25th 2008)

The process (from the first visit to my GP to the actual op date) took just half a year. I had initially thought that even if I was lucky enough to be awarded the funding to have the op done on the NHS I would have to wait years.

Please see my photo albums for pre-op photos of my tummy and I'll look forward to updating the album after the op... http://www.minimins.com/members/11372-poppypoo-albums.html

Thanks for reading,
Poppy-Poo
x

[/quote]

Hi Debbie! Thanks for the well wishes.

Unfortunately the forum doesn't allow you to view albums until you've made at least 50 posts. You also need to be added to my friend list. Send me a request after you've achieved 50 posts and I'll add you.

Hope you're feeling well since your op. Are you sharing before and after pics?

xx

Hi Poppy im new on here to so i couldn't see your pics, i too have just recieved a date to go in for my tuck on the NHS.
I will be done on 19/12/08 so just before xmas, i'm going to the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank. I will get sum of my own pics put on soon and keep you all informed of my journey as i will follow yours too Poppy. Take Care, Linda.

hi linda
goodluck for the op and if you dont mind me asking what were the reasons for the op on nhs? as im thinking about this op also.
emma

Hi Emma
I gained 4 stones with my first child and 3 with my second having not lost all the weight from the first pregnancy. I have terrible stretch marks where the skin is so thin. I have also suffered depression and lack of confidence due to the 'disfigurment' as i see it
Thanks for the well wishes, any other questions i'd be glad to help if i can.
Linda xx

Last edited:
Hi Poppypoo, I've finally viewed ur pics and i'm so excited to see someone with an identical tummy to mine! It now makes me think that I could try pushing my GP into referring me once I've finished losing my weight. I have had 2 c-sections which left me with hideous overhangs - my last baby (Jan 08) was 10lb13oz and so my skin is hideously overstretched. I'm having an op in dec for my abdominals / hernia (from a big baby) but it's not a tuck - they won't touch my floppy overhang as it's cosmetic but this is general surgery and not a plastic surgeon. Maybe there is hope after all? I can't wait to see your experiences and pics post op. I bet you'll feel amazing!

Congratulations on your success with the NHS, Your tummy will be gone by the time I see my surgeon after my pct approval on the 28th November.
I'm having my boobs done, and I agree and feel strongly about how you mentioned it's not for vanity, my breasts look deformed, I'm only 33 and with a toddler hate bending down to play etc as if you get a glimpse down my top it's frightening. People say, oh I'd have the tummy tuck but it's all personal, my tum is bearable unlike the way you feel about yours, I can't wait to see your after pictures, all so quickly, talk about great christmas present, I'm hoping I see the surgeon on the 28th and he has cancellation on the 29th I can go to hee hee.

XXX

Hi,
hope everything is ok with you.
Could i please see your pics, i`ve had 4 kids and not sure if my stomach will ever be normal again............

Back