• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mr Ammouri Said NO

I was told the same thing when enquiring privately and through the NHS about PCOS and banding. It would be harder to lose weight down to the PCOS and they also mentioned something about better for fertility as well. The doctor hasn't said no but he has told you that he won't band you. If you think the band is right for you, then you can always request a transfer of hospitals and see another doctor. But I cannot see why he would be leading you astray as he is trying to do what is best for you medically.

I am banded and I have PCOS, my surgeon reassured me that weightloss will still occur and with 79lbs gone, he was right.

I was never given the slightest inkling of possible trouble having PCOS.

Maybe Mr Ammouri prefers the bypass to banding...I would definitely pursue this further.

I have PCOS and was promised a band. On my first meet with Mr Ammori, he said that the band would not work for someone with PCOS, he also said that I was a snacker type person, and again I would fail with a band. He old me my only option was the bypass. Im so glad I went ahead with it. I have had no complications, dont have to go for fills and have lost nealry 4 stones in as many months!
Good luck with whatever decision you make babe x

Thanks
My worry is that the bypass inyears to come will be an "old method" with "problems" which cannot be amended and there will be a newer better way that does not have the need for stomach cutting etc...

Hun there could be future problems with the band too, there is a risk with all weight loss surgery not just in theatre but later on in life. did you see news article someone posted earlier ? A women who had been banded had serious complications twice! months after the band was fitted !

Dont give up do a bit more research on the bypass ! Mr Ammori has a great reputation and Im Sure is one of the best surgeons in the country for doing bypass's, I wanted him to do my surgery but my PCT would'nt allow it !

Hope you find a solution soon

Kel x

Thanks kel x

well I am be no way pleased with myself but I have decided to chear myself up with food !!! husband is one way to kfc. I have not eaten a thing all day and am starving now and this is what i do happy eat sad eat emotional eat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a sad excuse for a life

I'm sorry to hear you can't have the op you want. That must be massively upsetting. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hun thats like saying I dont want a heart bypass incase there is a better op in the future.Your health will get worse not better if a)you dont have surgery now or b) dont go on a permanent diet and exercise regime for the rest of your life.There are risks with all surgery and Mr Ammori wouldnt advise the bypass without considering everything you have told him.The gastric sleeve is less invasive ask him about that.What happens in 5/10 years if you dont grab that chance now.You could be heavier,sicker,depressed etc.Really think about the other options before you give up.Do you have another appointmeent with Mr.Ammori?

Its the dreams and thoughts if you know what i mean, not teh fact i cant have it
its the thought i cant have the result unless i opt for a bypass
it was never in my mind he might say no to one but yes to the other i thought it woudl be either a yes or a no to the lot.
I really was under the impression is was up to me in the end not one gp or dietician ever mentioned pcos and the fact i might not get the band i was told by them to go for.
we cant all have what we want and some of us are refussed funding so I shodul be pleased i got as far as i did.
I just need to have a godo think
I am sending mr Ammori a letter I am hoping he wont mind me sending it to himn, i just need to ask him some questions. I also need him to look at my results for pcos which are 10 years old and just double check them as i was only ever told verbally !
hope that he does not think that i am dismissing him in any way or that he is too good to answer them

sorry to go on have lots in my mind that is spinning at the moment
x

He probably thinks it will be harder to lose with a band,cos of the pcos and the bypass will give a better result,no use putting you through one procedure to find the other would of been the better option in the long run.Its not over yet hun have your kfc, dont feel quilty, enjoy it.Then have a bath and a good sleep.Get ready to take on the world tomorrow.

hi all

can someone explain why its harder to lose weight with band and not bypass with pcos plz. i have pcos and know how hard it is to lose the weight and keep it off...............just wondering in wot way a bypass makes it easier to lose weight with pcos then band.......(p.s, i know the bypass is a different procedure etc)

all the best - mejulie xx

I have pcos and am doing ok so far. I'm sorry you did not get the response you wanted - sending a letter is a gd idea, I really hope you can reach some sort of happy conclusion to this.
Very best wishes to you x

I dont know much about WLS so cant comment on that but having PCOS doesnt mean you cant lose weight Ive had it for years and it hasnt hindered me so far. I do hope he reconsiders or you find another option x

I found this and found it interesting...I thought it might help.

There is an unmistakable link between PCOS and obesity. Many women who have PCOS have an issue with their weight. The hormonal changes that occur with this disease aren’t just an imbalance of the reproductive hormones such as estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Insulin, the body’s tool for dealing with sugar, is also affected. For people who have been battling their weight, weight loss surgery (WLS) may seem like a dream come true. But as with any surgery, it requires serious thought and consideration before deciding to proceed.
Will Having WLS Help PCOS?

If you are significantly overweight (over 100 lbs overweight), and have been unsuccessful in losing weight despite multiple serious attempts, weight loss surgery may be an option. While losing weight will not cure the syndrome, it may restore a regular menstrual period and reduce the severity of the symptoms.
Who Is Eligible for Weight Loss Surgery?

Not everyone who is overweight is able to have weight loss surgery. You need to have at least 75 to 100 lbs to lose, or a BMI (Body Mass Index) of at least 35 to 40 or greater. Sometimes the surgeon will consider someone who has less weight to lose if they are facing significant medical complications.

What Kind of Procedures Are Available?

There are a number of different techniques and types of surgery that a surgeon can use, depending on the patient. Make sure to speak with your doctor about what he recommends for you. The most-well known procedures include the Lap Band and Gastric Bypass.
Risks of Having WLS

As with any surgical procedure, weight loss surgery has its own risks. These include pulmonary embolism, blood clots, infection, pain, inability to tolerate food, excess skin, dumping syndrome, malnutrition, ulcers, constipation and anemia. This article from About.com’s Surgery Guide provides thorough information on these potential risks of having weight loss surgery.

(((hugs)))

Hi all please would somebody explain what pcos is, sorry but i've never heard of it!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi all please would somebody explain what pcos is, sorry but i've never heard of it!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome. It means that you have loads of cysts on your ovaries and the egg doesn't mature, whereas if you have normal ovaries, one egg per month ripens and is sent down yer tubes. I think this is right. Sympoms are weight gain and getting a bit hairy. I'm very pale but have a few dark hairs on my tummy. These are shaved off as soon as they try and make a comeback. Pesky critters. Also it is harder to become pregnant naturally. Hope this is accurate. x

Helen I'm so sorry you've had this upsetting news today. From a personal point of view I too was scared of the bypass because of the finality of it. I was'nt brave enough to go through with something so invasive. I don't have pcos and I'm doing fine with my band, BUT if I was told only the bypass was available to me then I would have taken time out to consider it. Even now I feel the bypass too risky (personal opinion) but I could'nt have lived in this fat suit for much longer so I think as a last chance I'd take the bypass option. Good luck with researching the bypass sweetheart and just think of your long term health.The band is also a risk because you'd be having aneasthetic which is the biggest risk of all. seriously take everything into consideration before saying its the end of the road. Big hugsxx

I have PCOS and the subsequent infertility. I did a lot of research prior to wls about PCOS and obesity. PCOS is part of a cluster of sydromes I have that involve insulin and hormone production (TYPE II DIABETES +PCOS + PSUEDOTUMOR CEREBRI), each of which are responsible for insulin resistance which allows more sugar to be stored causing excess weight gain & inability to maintain weight at a healthy level long-term. With the gastric bypass a portion of the small intestines is bypassed which researchers believe *might* be responsible for insulin uptake and resistance thus explaining how diabetic bypassers can somethimes have their diabetes resolved in a few days after the surgery. Because of the quick and yet to be fully understood resolution of insulin issues the gastric bypass is highly recommended as treatment for PCOS. That is not to say that the band can't help PCOS because it can and does but in totally different (and less desirable from some sugeron's perspectives because of possible long-term maintenance problem) way. The band will address the actual weight issue, most doctors will agree that a 50% weight reduction will resolve many of the PCOS symptoms. So that is why you will see banders on here with reduced or resolved PCOS symptoms. With the bypass you have both the weight loss angle AND a metabolic effect to help make the change permanent. So, in this case your surgeon may feel that you have the best chance of having successful resolution of your PCOS with a gastric bypass. He obviously feels strongly about this as it seems he has advised other PCOS suffers the same. In the end, it is your body and your wls journey and you have to go with your own convictions. I hope that you are able to take what your surgeon has recommended and give it a think. If you still find that the bypass is not the way forward perhaps you can investigate how to go about seeing a different surgeon or going privately. I wish you all the luck going forward and if you would like to chat, please PM me. Sometimes it helps just to talk it through.

Nic;)

HI Thanks guys well I didnt enjoy my KFC well maybe for 2 seconds but that was it and this morning up bright and early to contact mr Ammouri to find out more info, I see his secretary can be contacted be email so that swhat I will do, I have also contacted my GP who I see a week today who suggested teh band to me and my dietician is phoning me on monday (In my head I know in teh end that it is the surgeons decision) but feel I have to do everything I can first.

I understand where you are all coming from with the bypass or nothing take teh bypass. I was just against it so much I dont want to just go "ok then if I cant have a skirt i will have pants sort of blase typ eof attitude" do you know what i mean,

why is the risk 1 in 100 when teh band is 1 in 1000 if the main thing is being out for the op, is it the length of time.
also how long are you in hospital with a bypass ?

the next question I am sure is goign to piss you all off -

with a bypass can you life ever be the same (or similar to what it was pre op)
I know with a band you can pretty much after 8 - 12 weeks eat what you eat now but just smaller portions

god my head is spinning again, I am now thinking am I mad, I dont need wls I am not that fat arghhhh what is wrong with me.
I am 19 stone and 5ft 5 making my bmi almost 45 of course i am chuffing fat but do I need wls I think I need a bloody new brain never mind a new body.

right sorry crazy rant over should have just deleted that and made you think i am normal lol

well better get on with my battle of the band lol and see where i get to, Mr Ammouri was still lovely he did look a little taken aback when I burst into tears poor man xx

Thanks again peeps you are all great, i came home yesterday had a cry again then came on here as I knew you lot woudl be here for me so thanks it means more than you know x

Back