• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mr Ammouri Said NO

Thanks again
I am doing what you all suggest and in my head I know is the right decision.
I am going to research the bypass again and I am hoping I have not blown my chance of wls away.
I am also hoping I have not just added an extra god knows how much time on to this whole situation. Yesterday Dr Syed asked did I still want to have all the tests which I replied a big fat NO - Idiot bloody idiot why didnt I say yes and think about it later arghhhhhhhhh

I sent Mr Ammori and email this morning and I am just hope that he will give me a second chance as I knwo I cannot lose this weight alone and only have him to help me and I must understand that he knows what is best in teh end he is teh bloody surgeon isnt he what am I I know nothing about the right proceedure I just know what I read and listed to.
Thanks once again for all your input it really is appreciaited and it is great knowing that so many of you are here to help give ideas and support and also add teh odd spanner which makes me think rather than just agree with me when I know in my mind that I must do what is right for my body and not be so bloody silly.
Thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks me too. I bet he will think no too late. Hope not x

im sure that he will give you time to think about it, after all its a life changing decision and you cant be expected to make it in a day :)

He will understand, as I doubt you will be the first to say no to a bypass and you probably wont be the last.
Good luck and hope you get a reply from him soon.:D

sure he will get in touch as he will have been in this stuation many of times , and with you being so upset he will be able to reasure you he has your interests at heart .Keep us informed fingers crossed you will hear very soon x

oooh you only have 3 days left woohoo

how have you found the pre op ???

HI Thanks guys well I didnt enjoy my KFC well maybe for 2 seconds but that was it and this morning up bright and early to contact mr Ammouri to find out more info, I see his secretary can be contacted be email so that swhat I will do, I have also contacted my GP who I see a week today who suggested teh band to me and my dietician is phoning me on monday (In my head I know in teh end that it is the surgeons decision) but feel I have to do everything I can first.

I understand where you are all coming from with the bypass or nothing take teh bypass. I was just against it so much I dont want to just go "ok then if I cant have a skirt i will have pants sort of blase typ eof attitude" do you know what i mean,

why is the risk 1 in 100 when teh band is 1 in 1000 if the main thing is being out for the op, is it the length of time.
also how long are you in hospital with a bypass ?

the next question I am sure is goign to piss you all off -

with a bypass can you life ever be the same (or similar to what it was pre op)
I know with a band you can pretty much after 8 - 12 weeks eat what you eat now but just smaller portions

god my head is spinning again, I am now thinking am I mad, I dont need wls I am not that fat arghhhh what is wrong with me.
I am 19 stone and 5ft 5 making my bmi almost 45 of course i am chuffing fat but do I need wls I think I need a bloody new brain never mind a new body.

right sorry crazy rant over should have just deleted that and made you think i am normal lol

well better get on with my battle of the band lol and see where i get to, Mr Ammouri was still lovely he did look a little taken aback when I burst into tears poor man xx

Thanks again peeps you are all great, i came home yesterday had a cry again then came on here as I knew you lot woudl be here for me so thanks it means more than you know x

I know how you feel to have so many things going around in your head. I just wanted to send you some virtual ((hugs)). You will eventually come to the decision that is right for you.

oooh you only have 3 days left woohoo

how have you found the pre op ???

apart from wanting everything I pass ? fine thanks lol

I have been good, which for me is good lol. Im just hoping I have done enough for my liver to shrink. Ye know another worry to worry about lol

Im having celeb slim for this weekend for 2 meals then a carb free meal in the evening, so hopefully that will just finish it off :D

Hiya

I just wanted to say that I had similar thoughts and feelings to you. I simply wanted a band because once I had lost the weight I could have it removed and be "normal" just like everyone else, it seemed far less intrusive then the bypass, I went privately and the surgeon said to me I am happy to give you a band however I think you should consider the bypass... when I had arrived at this appointment I had ruled out bypass I was completely against it and never even heard of gastric sleeve. He told me to go away and think about and said "I just don't want to see you back here in 9 months time disapointed it hasn't worked and asking for a bypass". Food too was my comfort and tbh honest I was fed up with how it controlled my life but that didn't stop me fearing being without it. I am nearly 6 weeks post op and to be honest I've almost lost my attachment to food I just don't think about it. Its the best feeling in the world. Look at more statistics and if you really want this to work consider your surgeons suggestions.

Take care clare

x

Last edited:
I wanted to say a few words...I can empathise with you about your fears of having a bypass - i have them too.

I had a gastric band fitted 2 years ago and it made my life hell - I lived on fluids for much of the time, it was painful and even though it has been removed, i am left will problems swallowing, reflux and pain where the port was and nerve damage causing rapid gastric emptying, fat malabsorption and other things - the band in many ways is a 'simpler' less invasive procedure - I have to live with these problems for the rest of my life - so simple and non-invasive? Well, not for everyone.

Having had the band removed in April I am now at the point of deciding to go for a bypass. But have a few weeks before D Day.

I worry that in the future new better solutions will come along - but that could be 10 or 20 years time. What about the present? I don't want to live in this fat suit just in case a better solution comes along in the future. I want to live now. In addition, medical advancements could mean that reversing the bypass is much simpler than it is now.

This is a big decision, but research it well - you have got the funding, so you have nothing to lose by finding out as much as possible before you decide to walk away.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi, i'm sorry you didnt get the decision that you wanted.

Four years ago i decided as a last resort to go for a gastric band (like yourself) but after talking to the surgeon in Birmingham he made me see that a bypass was more suitable for my eating habits. Like you i walked away disappointed but with the thought that 'hey right, so i cant have the band, i can't live my life like this anymore so i'll have to go for it' then for personal reasons i didn't go any further with it.

Over the ensuing four years i looked occasionally at bypass info and also read magazine articles of people who had the surgery and their fantastic stories.

At the end of the day the surgeon looked at my eating habits and picked what he thought would be the most successful way forward for me. Mr Ammori (god i hope i spelt his name right) has looked at you with all of your information and picked what to him will be the best way forward for you. There are risks with any sort of operation, we all know that. I have 2 dependant children and a new grandson (i know i know i dont look old enough - you should see me pre wake up, scary) and i am once again treading the boards for wls...

Why? Because of my health, so far it is only diabetes type 2 to contend with, how long before heart disease and all the others creep in, i already wheeze like a woman in the final stage of labour when i climb the stairs at work..

One question for you and everyone else on this forum...

Are you actually living or do you just go through the days?

Me? I go through the days... i cant remember going on a fair ride with my girls, we have missed out on a lifetime of memories almost. Well no more, we are going to make memories that we can share! And i will chase my grandson round the garden and take him swimming. All the things fat nanny can't or wont do!

Don't rush your decision to not have surgery. Speak to bypassers on here, i dont think i've heard one say they regret it, even Bonita who had a terrible experience has said she doesnt regret it...

Open up your mind, do your research and then say yay/nay!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do xxxx

I need my head to change and have been told that the surgery will do this I was told yesterday by numerous post ops that it is as if mr ammori switches a switch and they no longer feel the same about food and nor does it matter to them.

Sorry but i laughed out loud when i read this as i remember saying to Mr A when i went for my 6 week post op check that " i dont think you have done anything with my stomach apart from stab 5 holes in me i think you have meddled with my brain really"
He laughed and said "sussed again its what i like to hear and then said to the nurse file this folder in the sucess box now shes cracked it"
And i have got to say that with only 10lbs to go to get to my desired target since november i think he was right.
hope everything works out for you
hc

Thanks again I really am considering it hope that no one thinks that I have just thought oh cant have band ok will have bypass but it comes doen to two things
I cant go on the way I am
and
I dont want to waste another year of my life
thanks guys you really are top and I cant wait to repay you all with words that are needed at hard times xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
from the bottom of my heart thank you

Good luck - i really hope everything turn's out great for you

Last edited:
thats right he said no
after i had been there 3 hours
i was told due to the fact i have pcos he is not willing to give me a band ONLY a bypass which i dont want so thats the end of teh road for me

I am heartbroken

Helen
x

hi helen, he shouldnt really be refusing you a band on this basis, i have pcos and ive been banded twice and it was never an issue to stop banding for me, they are aware i have it and they said the symptoms of pcos would improve with the weight loss after banding. i would ask again to be reviewed by him.

liz xxx

All surgeons will differ in their opinions as to how, why, if and when they perform their operations.

It's not that Mr Ammori is wrong, it's his opinion based on his findings, his experience and his judgement after his appointment with his patient.

I have sought WLS through 2 different surgeons, one of which (private) will give me a bypass even though I have colitis (in remission and unspecified) and the other surgeon (NHS) who might not give me the bypass (or any other operation).

I have done lots of research on my own conditions with WLS and found so many bones of contention amongst surgeons...some in USA have found that UC improves in the obese sufferer of UC with WLS.

I have also googled this subject (POS and the band)and found that while most surgeons will do the band for people that have PCOS, there are some that won't but once again it's down to his/her past experience, and that all important consultation with his patient.

Thankfully your WLS surgery journey is not finished as you first thought....I can understand how scary this whole thing must have been.

All the best of luck

(((hugs)))

well its monday so i am hoping that first of all my dietician phones and that i hear something from Mr Ammori (although i know he works private loads too)
here's to a better week ahead and possibly some answers and a way forward x

good luck chuck x

Back