• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mr Ammouri Said NO

why is the risk 1 in 100 when teh band is 1 in 1000 if the main thing is being out for the op, is it the length of time.

It's more to do with the fact that a bypass or sleeve, you're actually having your stomach and relevant 'tubing' physically cut/removed and internal stitches. This can cause risks of internal leaks causing complications. Plus it's 'generally' a longer operation.

also how long are you in hospital with a bypass ?

I was in hospital 2 nights. It's all dependant on recovery or how well the op went.

the next question I am sure is goign to piss you all off -

with a bypass can you life ever be the same (or similar to what it was pre op)
I know with a band you can pretty much after 8 - 12 weeks eat what you eat now but just smaller portions

Why would you want your life to be the same as before? I had this operation because I wanted my life to change! I get up in the morning and think 'What can I do with the family today?' not 'What shall I be eating today?'

Just over 6 weeks after the op and I am eating some very nice foods. No, I'm not eating KFC, but then I don't want to! I'm not eating sweets or cakes, I'm not even having sugar in my hot drinks any more! I don't want to!

I think I need a bloody new brain never mind a new body.

I don't want to be preaching to you and I know it's not easy but I think you seriously need to think about what life will be like after any of the operations. The talk of eating what you did before but just smaller portions is not going to be good for you. You need to alter your eating habits after the operation too to make the best of it!

It's not simply, have the op, carry on as normal, just eat less. That is not what it's about!!

Hi So Sorry to hear you did not get the answer you wanted.
Being a person who prays at times i realise the answer to prays are sometimes NO.
Can you see another consultant?
Know how you must feel,and i hope you get the result you desire but maybe after a couple of days you may accept this solution who knows.Take Care of yourself Mia

Hi
Mixman thanks for the honest answers the reason I say about food is that it controls my life, I cant understand what it must be like and not think of food and wouldnt untill something is done.
I love my food it is part of life and our life is nice teas as a family going to the seaside and getting a meal, going out for the day and stopping off at a pub, a sunday dinner round the table as a family etc etc..
I love my life in that way but not the way i look etc... my husband eats what i eat and weighs 10 and a half stone I know that this is our make up and what is just IS !

does it sound stupid that I think I dont need a bypass ? OK OK I was really wanting a band as it was more of an "easier choice" out of thee two options sorry if that upsets anyone but thats my opinion I was delighted at the thought of having a band that coudl be adjusted etc.. to suit my body rather than have my stomach permanently cut never to be teh same again.

I have emailed Mr Ammori and hope he will read it and respond with answers to my questions.
I know deep down (and when I just put my jeans on) that i need to do something
thanks again xx like I say your advice and opinions mean the world to me

why is the risk 1 in 100 when teh band is 1 in 1000 if the main thing is being out for the op, is it the length of time.

It's more to do with the fact that a bypass or sleeve, you're actually having your stomach and relevant 'tubing' physically cut/removed and internal stitches. This can cause risks of internal leaks causing complications. Plus it's 'generally' a longer operation.

also how long are you in hospital with a bypass ?

I was in hospital 2 nights. It's all dependant on recovery or how well the op went.

the next question I am sure is goign to piss you all off -

with a bypass can you life ever be the same (or similar to what it was pre op)
I know with a band you can pretty much after 8 - 12 weeks eat what you eat now but just smaller portions

Why would you want your life to be the same as before? I had this operation because I wanted my life to change! I get up in the morning and think 'What can I do with the family today?' not 'What shall I be eating today?'

Just over 6 weeks after the op and I am eating some very nice foods. No, I'm not eating KFC, but then I don't want to! I'm not eating sweets or cakes, I'm not even having sugar in my hot drinks any more! I don't want to!

I think I need a bloody new brain never mind a new body.

I don't want to be preaching to you and I know it's not easy but I think you seriously need to think about what life will be like after any of the operations. The talk of eating what you did before but just smaller portions is not going to be good for you. You need to alter your eating habits after the operation too to make the best of it!

It's not simply, have the op, carry on as normal, just eat less. That is not what it's about!!

i was in one night but echo everything mixman has said.
I have a better social life than before and eat out more now than i ever did but have healthy choices and sit there and enjoy my food not worrying that people are looking at me and saying look at that fat cow stuffing her face again!

I would say that once a bander is at the right fill level they are actually more restricted on food types than a bypasser is. I can eat anything, I limit my sugar and refined carb intake because of dumping but as a bander you would be expected to do that too.

I see lots of banders on here saying they can't eat most meats, fish, complex starches such as rice and pasta, raw salads, lots of different types of veg etc. This is something I struggle to understand with the band as to me (and this is just my opinion) that is not healthy.

So with a band, you might be able to eat pretty much what you can now after a few weeks, but that isn't necessarily the case long term, and seems to be only until the fills start going up.

By the way, I had KFC for my lunch yesterday. It was yum. Not an ounce of guilt with it either ;)

Hi
Mixman thanks for the honest answers the reason I say about food is that it controls my life, I cant understand what it must be like and not think of food and wouldnt untill something is done.
I love my food it is part of life and our life is nice teas as a family going to the seaside and getting a meal, going out for the day and stopping off at a pub, a sunday dinner round the table as a family etc etc..
I love my life in that way but not the way i look etc... my husband eats what i eat and weighs 10 and a half stone I know that this is our make up and what is just IS !

does it sound stupid that I think I dont need a bypass ? OK OK I was really wanting a band as it was more of an "easier choice" out of thee two options sorry if that upsets anyone but thats my opinion I was delighted at the thought of having a band that coudl be adjusted etc.. to suit my body rather than have my stomach permanently cut never to be teh same again.

I have emailed Mr Ammori and hope he will read it and respond with answers to my questions.
I know deep down (and when I just put my jeans on) that i need to do something
thanks again xx like I say your advice and opinions mean the world to me

I know exactly where you are coming from. I used to be in the same boat. Do exactly the same, think exactly the same.

What I had to realise is that I couldn't go on like this. If and when we go out, I will/do eat differently. The people around me and who I love know my situation and they understand it's for the better. I much prefer the walk after together now a thousand times more than the feeling of oooooooohhhhhhh that was lovely, I'm stuffed!

It's more of a psychological issue that is going on and there are professionals out there to talk to about it. I am not going to tell anyone on here what's the best for them, I can only say what has happened to me and how I think differently now to what I did before.

I hope what you choose is the right one for you and the results are what you want! xx

i too went for the band and was told the bypass was the way for me, i was gutted as the bypass was a major no-no but i came away from the appoinment and thought there must be a reason why the band is not for me i looked up everything good and bad and yes it would be the best for me concidering my eating habits , the things iv tried in the past and my life as it is now , the dr you have seen seems to be the one who people rave about the most on here , to me id be thinking he knows what he is talking about . Be honest with your self does reasons he gave ring true, once i got my head round it they did with me. If you still dont want to have a bypass then that has to be your choice at the end of the day i just know for me i dont want to look back in five yrs 5 stone heavier then with maybe a 1 in a lot less than a 100 of dieing of a weight related condition and wish id done something about it. Its such a hard situation to be in and i wish you all the luck in the world that you get what you want , as they say if theres a will theres a way ! x xgood luck x x

Hi,

You must be so disappointed but Mr. Ammori really knows his stuff and has done a huge number of bypasses and bands. I went to see him determined to have a band and he didn't rule it out but he did make me reconsider my motives. I agree with you that logically some time in the future they may come up with something less invasive etc and I had all the same worries as you. I also met a couple of Mr. Ammori's patients in the waiting room who had bands and were wanting to see him to get bypass after only losing a small amount of the weight they wanted to.
Although it's scary, and I still keep thinking about it, I've decided to go for bypass as I want a more perminant fix. Mr Ammori knows what he's doing and if he says that I'm better with a bypass then I trust his opinion.

You've had some really good advice here have a think and decide what you want to do. If you really want a band you could always change surgeon.

Net
x

thanks again it is all making sence i was very emotional yesterday and yes i left saying to them thank you for their time etc etc but for me its bye bye
i am now sat here in my tight jeans feeling like an inflated elephant thinking what a bloody idiot i am.
my first thing it yes i am 33 speaking with my mum who is anti bypass
thanks again but its not bye bye is it xxxxxxxxxx

sorry to read your news re no to a band, but don't let that put you off, i know you set your heart on it, but if it's what you want, then persevere, the bypass is an option that is offer, but you must be mentally ready for that choice, as you were for your band, research it loads more, and i hope you get to where you wanna be, even if it's a trip round the houses to get to your final destination....just remember re bypass being so final and something better could come along, medicene and it's procedures are moving along at such a fast pace it's unbelievable, i did read just recently, they are researching a tablet that can make you lose a huge amount of body fat and overall weight in just weeks, being tested on mice, but none the less, this will be the future, a tablet to stay slim, once a day, but in the mean time we need to use what means are at our disposal, best of luck with whatever you decide, we're all here for ya ;)

Sweetheart don't beat yourself up about it, its your body and you have to do whats best for you.

I can understand why a lot of people on this thread have tried to reasure you about the bypass op and the after effects, but ultimately you will know your own mind and your right, there is no return from this operation and also whilst they operate on your stomach they don't fix your head, so some of us may still have emotional difficulties and that has to be considered.

Nic is right when she says that medically the bypass will be giving you a double whammy because PCO is affected by the sugar in your body which is probably the main reason why your surgeon reccomended it, but from what you have said it sounds as if your head isn't in the right place which is just as important.

I too wanted a band but quickly realised that with my illnesses that just wouldn't be an option. With regards to the surgery I've been to hell and back (being honest here), its certainly not the easiest of options, but for me and many others here there simply was no choice. What was the other option? Live the rest of my what would have been a short life in pain? It was a no brainer really and three months down the line I'm bloody glad I did it.

But thats me not you. I genuinely think that you should push for what you are going to be happy with and that you have to be realistic about it and not carried away with your emotions. I note your surgeon does do bands so maybe if you stick to your guns then he will reconsider. Having said that I also think that you should seriously research the bypass and not dismiss it too easily. See if you can get your head around it, because your surgeon wouldn't have reccomended it if he wasn't certain that it was the best option for you.

I always find the easiest way when faced with a decision is to sit and write down all the pro's and con's of each on paper, that way you can get a clear and emotion free picture rather than the jumble of all those thoughts in your head.

I hope you get it sorted out and get whats best for you in the end.

Glad you are feeling a bit better today.
You have been given lots of information and support which I hope has helped you
I too went for band and was asked to consider bypass, and although I could have a band, I know it will not change my food issues long term.
I could cheat on a band and I cant take that risk as human nature being what it is I probably would, not because I think the band would do the job for me, just because there are times the spirit is weak and you eat something then regret it.
With the bypass not only will it help many of my co morbidities, it will also support me to eat healthily all the time, and yes some of the girls and boys have treats but thats now and again, and they are able to live with that, and I know the fact that I cant eat things I want will be greatly outweighed by the benefits the bypass brings.
I too have worries and fears, who doesnt, but at the end of the day. as others have said, we must read all the info and then make an informed choice for ourselves. We have to be honest with ourselves and thats not always easy. You are the only one who can make that decision for you, is it the bypass or do you just go on forever feeling like you do.
Good luck whatever you decide .

Jay xx

Some fantastic posts on here and i can't add anything to them all i can say is i was determined to have the band because like you i was frightened of how final the bypass was and how scary it seemed. When i met and talked to Mr Ammori and he felt the bypass was better(given my eating habits and final goals) i was terrified but went away to think about it. I came to the conclusion that i had been miserable for years as a result of my weight and was never going to be any other way and for me personally the band may fail, i couldn't take that chance so went with the bypass and as i sit here a week post op i have no regrets, Take your time and look at all your options and that decision will come to you xx

Bloody hell thanks again you lot.
I have just been to my mums and she didnt mention it once which makes me angry, I am very close to her she lives 4 doors away and is looking after my kids while we have building work done and she minded them yesterday. Shas has also been cooking for us for 2 weeks while we have no cooker and i have put 7 lb on !!! so that shows what i have been eating !!!
i dont know why i feel i need to get her approval.
Thanks again
I sent Mr Ammori an email and am hoping for his advice and support I have also asked him aboutthe bypass and will be attending the hope meeting on teh 9th of September.
thanks again xx all of you

There is an artical in this weeks copy of Take A Break Magazine about the band and PCO.

All the best in whatever you decide to do.

Bloody hell thanks again you lot.
I have just been to my mums and she didnt mention it once which makes me angry, I am very close to her she lives 4 doors away and is looking after my kids while we have building work done and she minded them yesterday. Shas has also been cooking for us for 2 weeks while we have no cooker and i have put 7 lb on !!! so that shows what i have been eating !!!
i dont know why i feel i need to get her approval.
Thanks again
I sent Mr Ammori an email and am hoping for his advice and support I have also asked him aboutthe bypass and will be attending the hope meeting on teh 9th of September.
thanks again xx all of you

I have given your situation a fair deal of thought over the last day or so, and I have no desire to offend you in any way but I think you need to re evaluate what is important to you.

You have told us food is a big part of your life and I get the impression that it’s more important for you to be able to eat what you like, albeit in smaller portions, than being prepared to make the lifestyle changes that you must make if any WLS is going to be successful.

I would question your commitment to the long-term success of any WLS. If you still want to be able to make poor food choices then WLS is not for you. The bypass is forever but, the discipline required after a bypass might be your best chance of success, it might be that concern that is leading the surgeon to refuse a band for you. He might just think you would fail as a bander.

Any WLS is merely a tool that the patient can use to help them make the changes they need to make in their life that will lead to a healthy new life. It is not a quick fix and it cannot do it on it’s own. You as the patient have to be ready to play your part.

Good luck with your choice I really hope you make the one that is best for you xxx

Hi Karlos
Thanks for your honest advice and opinions, I know exactly what you mean I am like that I love my food my weekends are all about having a couple of drinks with my hubby watching a dvd at night eating nice food and its a bit of the same old same old and thats what has got me in the position of weighing over 19 stone and with pcos being unable to shift it.
I need my head to change and have been told that the surgery will do this I was told yesterday by numerous post ops that it is as if mr ammori switches a switch and they no longer feel the same about food and nor does it matter to them.
that is what i need i drive my hubby mad when we wake up and i say good morning what do you fancy for tea !!!!!

Thanks again xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am having a good old think and research and am hoping for the chance to speak with Mr ammori without crying

I just wanted to add my half penny worth in ;)
I went to my surgeon to ask for the bypass and was expecting him to say no to it and that he would only do the band. Reason for me not wanting the band was simple, well to me it was, I cannot control what I eat and have no willpower to sustain a weight loss with a band. I explained that if I had willpower I wouldnt have been in the chair opposite him that day.
He totally understood my reasonings, he also immediately disregarded the band Woot !?!
Then he droppe dthe bombshell of him only doing open surgery instead of lap. Thats when I nearly hit the floor. Im guessing I felt similar to you as he said no he wouldnt do lap bypass and I was nto happy about open. I was gutted.
All I did was weigh up the pro's and cons' of open v lap and even though there is no difference in the surgery there is a slight difference in the recovery/scarring etc. The biggest issue then appeared, did I really want this surgery enough to take on board what he had said and trust someone who has done this for years and knows the best outcome according to the info I have given him. ? hell yes

I guess what Im saying is take on board why he has said no, his reasons, research it a bit more, research both the band and bypass so you know how they will affect your PCOS in the long run. Because its not the immediate problems, its the lifelong picture you have to look at.
I honestly think you have blinkered yourself, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I know I did, all for a scar ! Im not saying yours is as trivial as a scar but it does look like you have got your heart set on the band and wiped the bypass or even the sleeve out of the window. Step back hun and take another look. It might not help but it sure as hell wont do any harm.:D

Good luck in your decision, remember the only person that can make you decide is you :)

p.s. sorry for the long drawn out blurb

Back