• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I am home - My Bypass diary

starry

Hi All
I am home !! well what can I say - firstly I want to say this op is nowhere near as bad as your mind will trick you into thinking it is !!

April 18th - alarm set for 5-30am got up and with hubby and drove to St Richards got there about 7am. Went to the chichester suite ans shown into the bariatric Bay where I meet three ladies who are going home and had the bypass in wednesday and they look great so that makes me feel better and meet two others having the op along with me .

I have to say at this point I am really struggling - I feel like bolting I am VERY scared and feel very sick. The nurse comes in - Andrea who has had the op herself and is a little star does all my papaerwork, path man takes some blood - they weigh you give yoyou your gown and you wait. Anaethetsist comes along and goes over it all with you

Then the lovely Shaw Somers arrives as I can say everyone he is as lovely as on the TV and just a great guy. He explains the op and what you are having done answers any questions and tells me I am 2nd on the list and they will call for me at 10-45

This two hour wait felt like 2 days - but when they called my name I panicked so my lovely hubby walked me outside the ward held my hands very tightly and nose to nose gave me the very best pep talk I could have needed told me how long I had waited and wanted this and how much he loved me and would be here the moment I woke up.

Walked the walk to theatre - a fantactic theatre nurse met me - still crying I might add - daft cow that I am but i was scared !!!!!! said goodbye to hubby ( whom i then found out later went outside and called my bestest bud and cried his eyes out to her !!! )

You get into the operating room they undo your gown at the back and you get on the table. They are all lovely and try their best to put you at ease - the anesthatist does his thing 2 drips go in and an oxygen mask on - Shaw Somers arrives and asks me if I like his pyjamas actually wipes away my tears and reassures me and says night night .

Next thing I know I am being woken up - I immediately look down to find 5 tiny plasters and feel for a wound drain and nose tube ( neither there - )and shout Yay I woke up !!!!!!!!!!

Stayed in recovery for 3 hours - this is longer than normal because my blood pressure shot up and the beta blocker they gave me I had a v bad reaction to and they watched me for longer -

Wheeled me back to the baritric bay where my hubby was waiting showed me the morphine pump which you press when in pain - this is great IMHO the pain is OK for those of you who have had a c section this op is nothing compared to that pain and recovery wise.

Had catheter and oxygen and drips and on these machines that monito everything through those sticky pads attached to wires and I pretty much slept all day drifitng in and out of conciousness according to the OH.

Shaw somers and anaesthetist came apparently as my BP wouldnt settle and explained to my OH what had happenned in theatre.

He left about 10pm bless hime been there 15 hours and the burse said he has been holding my hand , wiping my face talking to me all the time, they give you a sponge lollipop in water to wet your mouth which he did too - aawwww.

slept on and off all night. they were doing obs every hour on me. I wasnt got up out of bed as BP too high but the others were and sat up in chairs about 4 hours after !

next day - still very sleepy all day no pain as on morphine still. still not allowed up.
gave us a drink which was heaven have to say not drinking for that time wasnt as bad as I thought it would be at all.

Shaw somers came OK's me to get up and catheter out. No worries there lovely to be up and that tube out.

next day - felt much better - took my arterial line and drip off and monitors all off. Had a shower washed my hair clean clothes on and had a cup of tea !!! OH was amazed when he saw me !! now no morphine the pain is still OK just sore really. Trapped wind is far more painful ask for peppermint tea it really helps. had clear soup and jelly twice today - all OK told if I kept breakfast and lunch down could go home tomorrow.

Had a low period today where I wondered what I had done and got a bit emotional really .

next day - up and about walking feeling fine. Had tablespoon of porridge - felt fine no problems. packed my bag up and had a vile antacid tablet which makes me gag and unfortunately I have to have them every day for 3 months YUK.
Showed how to do heparin jabs no probs.

Lunch was a tablespoon of mash and swede ! again felt fine nice to taste something !! waited until 2pm got Ok'd to go home - hurray.

got home last night very tired very emotional and feeling a bit of a wreck really in my head.

Wednesday - feel much better after sleeping in my own bed seeing my kids and being home.
will keep you updated

Oh yeah and btw since start of pre op diet 10 days pre op to yesterday have lost 9kgs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

talk soon xxxxx LIz

Last edited:
aww liz welcome back im glad your ok and thankyou for sharing your experience, well done on loosing 9kgs !!! and many more to lose in the future.

best wishes

liz x

Great post, glad your feeling ok, take it easy now and what a fab pre op weight loss a real good start to get you going..xx

Well done on weight loss.
Take it easy and don't over do things.

Glad your home, and thanks hun for the surgery story, it has put my mind at rest:D:D

Well done and thanks for sharing your experience. Well done on the weight loss!! Take it easy now...........

Well done on what seems like a easy journey for you. Rest, rest and more rest
Keep on keeping on

Ali

thanks everyone my head is in a very strange place but I know it will improve physically I cant be more pleased doing well.

Liz welcome to the losing team, am glad you had a reasonable transition and what a fantastic start to your losing days

welcome home, glad you didnt have much pain!! (i mustve had ur share!!)
xx

fantastic post, im waiting to goto st richards for a band ,so it was really nice to read your detailed story,thankyou orchid xxx

Hi - thank you so much for taking the time to go through all that you did in Hospital. I am on the list for a bypass with Mr Somers having met him last week at Chichester so its really good to meet someone who has gone through what I will go through. Its wonderful to hear that its not as bad as we make it out to be. The tubes and injections bother me more than the actual surgery and will I definitely feel no pain and be completely asleep? Its so scary and will be the first time for me to go into hospital. Thanks again for the story!

welcome home and glad your feeling ok. well done on that weight loss! x

well done hun ... cried reading lol big poof i am ..

thanks for the post i keep going through whats going to happen in my head ..

great to hear all went well and your home and well..

keep us updated hun xxx

Back