• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric Bypass Journey

I was on training yesturday and forgot to pick my lunch up and it was a buffet lunch. luckly there was salmon sandwiches so i had about an ounce of salmon. I am still on the pureed stage so remembering shels tips about the rubber sized bites and chewing for england it took me about 20 mins to eat. I was comfortably full and really pleased that i didnt suffer any discomfort.
I wasnt a great fish eater befor my bypass but seem to be developing a tasting for it.
who would of thought an ounce of fish would do it for you.lol

Just remember, if you're foods still warm by the time you finish, you're eating too fast!

Shel you should open a thread called top tip of the day cause I'm learning so much from you, your a star!!

i found my sons baby bowl the other day you know the ones you used to fill with hot water unfortunatly the bung is missing. do they stil make these bowls? lol

Hello guys

I'm feeling much better, still having some pain from the surgery, things seem to be pulling a bit inside and I'm still having to take things very easy.

I'm having problems with my wound. Its practially all opened up now and the District Nurse said its going to take a long while to heal up which is getting me down a bit. No matter how big I ever was I was always very active, cleaning up the house every day, cooking for the family.. I did n't rely on help from any one. Having to accept that I can't do things and having to let others do it all is very frustrating for me. Thank god my friend is so loyal to me and is still, 2 weeks on coming every day to sit with me and to help look after my baby and cooking for my family. I really don't know what situation we would be in with out her. Its so hard not being able to pick up my baby and do things for him. Has any one else had wound problems, any one took a long time to heal or am I just unlucky? :cry:

Hi Chick sorry to hear your news, I have had no problems with my wounds but had keyhole surgery. I am sure you feel very frustrated but let your good friend carry on for the time being as it will aid your recovery....keep thinking ahead to a time when it will all be fine and you can get on with enjoying the new slim healthy you....((hugs))....xx

u r the star!

ur doing great -->u have got the biggest fans all round you!

alia although i had key hole for my bypass i had open surgery for my gall bladder 20 yrs ago. I know i had been very poorly before hand with a blocked bile duct and massive stones was wasnt in the best shape going into surgery and my wounds healed just fine but i think anyone who has open surgery is at a disadvantage recovery wise in comparison to key hole but your recovery is compounded with yr wound opening. Its very unfortunate and as you say frustraiting you must listen to yr body and dont push it. Take one day at a time and as and when you feel like doing things do it slowley. Once i was mobile after my gall bladder op i went for a short walk each day, first to the end of the street then once i was ok doing that i went round the block and gradually increased it. Getting yr heart pumping that little bit faster increases blood flow and aides healing.
Really feeling for you especially with a baby.
take care
carole

If you're wounds opened are you not hving it restitched?:eek:I had to after my wound burst open, after a hysterectomy, cos the nurse yanked the staples out too hard:cry::cry:
I can't face the op unless it's keyhole:eek:what was the reason you had to have an open op?:confused:

If you're wounds opened are you not hving it restitched?:eek:I had to after my wound burst open, after a hysterectomy, cos the nurse yanked the staples out too hard:cry::cry:
I can't face the op unless it's keyhole:eek:what was the reason you had to have an open op?:confused:

Not all of it has opened, there is a large bit at the top and its ok in the middle but open at the bottom. Apparently they don't restitch, it has to heal by its self and I just have to be patient.

I had my surgery on the NHS and my surgeon does it open. I don't know if you can actually get it done with key hole on the NHS, please some one correct me if you know different.

I think mine opened at the top cause the staples were taken out too early cause she took thouse out then suddenly said mmm I think I'll just take every other one out instead of all of them but by then it ws too late for the top.

Its not causing me any pain just its getting increasingly frustrating cause I want to do things with my baby and I know I can't... think right now I need to have the patience of a saint. Have lost 25 pounds now, thats whats making all this worth while

Alia xxx

Who was your surgeon?Soz about all the questions, and well done on the weight loss, and hope you heal soon:D

Its all comes down to the individuals surgeons skills, and also the patients needs some excell in open surgery and some in laproscopic surgery.

There is such a mix on here some people have gone private and had open and some are nhs and had keyhole.

no two people are the same so its hard to compare.

take care
Hc

Who was your surgeon?Soz about all the questions, and well done on the weight loss, and hope you heal soon:D

My Surgeon was Mr Pollard at St James hospital in Leeds, he's a very well known and respected surgeon, guess he prefers to do them open but I certainly would n't base his skills on whether he did it key hole or open

My Surgeon was Mr Pollard at St James hospital in Leeds, he's a very well known and respected surgeon, guess he prefers to do them open but I certainly would n't base his skills on whether he did it key hole or open
I'm not basing anyone's skills on the type of surgery hun, but due to my nightmare experience which I explained above, I am terrified of having open surgery again.It's just me, not the surgeon:eek::eek:

Candie when you get funding via the PCT you can choose which hospital you have your op carried out in, providing they do the surgery there. Therefore, if your nearest hospital does open surgery but one in the next town does keyhole you can request to go there. If you hit any problems with this let me know as I ended up going to the Department of health to use my right to choose as the PCT were wanting to send me to macclesfield and I wanted Mr Ammori at the Spire....so please dont worry its not all cut and dried....xx

Thanks Linda:DI will keep bugging you with questions till I get sorted:8855:

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my progress so far. :)

I'm 28 days post my bypass surgery and I'm feeling so much better. I'm managing to get some things done around the house as long as I'm careful not to bend down or pick up the baby... however guilty as charged, picked him up a couple of times.

I'm still doing my slimfast shakes and pureed veg, mash potato, yoghurt etc and I'm doing fine with those. I'm starting to recognise when I'm getting full and am able to stop there as that one last mouthful might just be too much.

I did my weekly weigh in today and I'm 5 pounds down on last week so thats a total of 33 pounds in 4 weeks and I'm told thats a really good weight loss although I'm sure there are people here who have lost alot more than that in the first week but I'm happy with it and can't wait to start to see the results.

Alia xxx

you are doing really well Alia, Just noticed that your BMI has now dropped into the 50's and Im sure you will start to feel the benefits soon. xx

:girlpower:she did it one step at a time...and it didnt cost her a dime...:whistle:

i am very proud of you! a true inspiration you are...keep up the fight against those food monsters!

(lol last nite, the burrito demons were tempting but my shake tasted sooooooooooo much better!)

Alia, I just wanted to give you congrats on your loss so far. You are doing so good. You sound so much more positive now and I know that has got to be helping you stay on track. It is tough when you feel ick and can't eat which also leads to tiredness and such. It seems you have nipped that in the bud and nothing can stop you!

Over 30lbs in 4 weeks is amazing and it just shows that you are going to sail into your target weight before you know it.

Good going chick and keep up the good work!:D:D:D

Nic:p

:girlpower:she did it one step at a time...and it didnt cost her a dime...:whistle:

i am very proud of you! a true inspiration you are...keep up the fight against those food monsters!

(lol last nite, the burrito demons were tempting but my shake tasted sooooooooooo much better!)

Well done for not surrendering to those demons but you know had I have seen you dipping into the burritos that I'd have been on you quicker than you care to imagine.

Your doing brilliantly and this time there is nothing that is going to stop you cause we are keeping each other on track and are determined we are going to get there.

Keep going sweety, just imagine how your going to look in a couple of months and then we will be posting pictures of you in your new coat to inspire others too :D

Back