• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nearly 5 weeks post bypass

~Jo~

Hello there,:grouphugg:

I had my Gastric Bypass at Salford on the 13th April 2011.
I must admit for me its been a harder mental journey than I expected. Not for missing food, but for the anxiety I seem to cause myself worrying about everything lol I dont seem to be able to just relax and not fret about things that might go wrong. I wasnt like this at all pre-op - since having the op all you hear and read is people dying or being so ill with malnutrition etc or perhaps I never noticed pre-op :confused:
I guess I have Googled too much :cry:

Anyways, I wanted to ask some advice - I am not looking for diagnosis, just friendly advice or someone to say "Oh yes I had that, but it passed" or whatever :)

I keep getting stitch like pain on my left side. It seems to be between 2 op sites under my rib.
Last week I started on puree and it got worse as did constipation so I decided on Friday to go back to soups and milk, yoghurt etc and it did ease a fair bit.
I noticed today it started up again (not been to the loo for another 3 days either) and I made some mashed potatoe with cheese and made it sloppy, for lunch. This griping, stitch type pain is back again.

I dont know if its the food or wind or the join healing or a combination of all lol I can eat no problem I can drink fine, I am not ill with any sickness or anything - always had IBS pre-op so this constipation is driving me mad and am taking lactulose.
How much does one poo if you are not eating much and mainly liquids? (sorry for that question:eek:)

When I speak to the dietician or whoever they say "everyone is different!" Argh! I know - I just want advice, to put my mind at ease lol

Thank you for reading this and I hope that someone can give some friendly advice as I need to stop Googling and scaring myself half to death lol :copon:

Hi didn't wanna read and run ! I'm only 3 days post op and feel awful don't know what's normal and not so ! I have trapped wind tho and so when I drink don't know if too much . I hope someone will be able to advise u soon take care x x

Someone will be along soon to help, sorry I am pre-op so no advice to give yet. Just wanted to say I hope it passes soon along with your anxiety. I am sure I will be the same as I am a worrier anyway x x

Thank you Donna, and I hope everything goes great for you hun :) xx

Thank you too Mandy, I hope you get your date. I think I have become a worrier more as I get older. I really didnt expect to be this bad, hopefully it will pass as the benefits outweigh the things I am fretting over xx

Hi Jo

Can you not phone to speak to your doctor, must be a worry I will be the same. How did Salford Royal go, I am being referred there to Dr Amori i think, had my funding, did you have to wait long x Becky x

Also sorry, do you think the pain could be because your constipated hun xxx

ah ha .. .. .. (no not the group !) I had something very similar ~ when I returned to taking the consultant ‘prescribed’ antacid tablets (forget the name but can get it if you would like) the pain vanished the following day. I had ran out of the hospital tablets and my GP prescribed Lansoprazole (I had been on these for some time pre – op and they are much cheaper I understand) . . . hope this helps xx

hiya kevin i had bad constipation drink prune juice it works a treat .................and donna i felt that awful for the first 2wks i was regretting the whole thing but im 5wks post op now and feel loads better i still struggle with loads of food but its just trial and error u will get there i promise i was torture on here the first 2wks i really thought i hadnt worked as i gained on the scales instead of losing its wierd what happens at first but u will get there xx

Hi Becky,

Thank you for replying and you could be right about it being constipation, just wish I could go lol I keep taking Lactulose but wondering whether to take Senakot now.
I was just doing "The Twist" type movement and I could really feel it, as though it was going to move but didnt. Its definately a really sharp stitch type pain.

Salford Royal was fine and it was Mr Amori's team that I saw. I started last April with weight management and had to lose 5-10% weight to be referred, which I did and they referred following those classes in September.
Got an appointment to see surgeon in clinic 23rd December and told once the other tests were completed - Sleep Apnea, pschy evaluation, then I would be on the list. That took til about end of March nearly and literally a week later got my date :)
Then the 2 week pre-op diet which was fine.
The surgical team and bariatric team were excellent, nurses seemed so rushed off their poor feet that to be honest I sorted myself out mostly. Aftercare has been fine with dietician and nurse telephoning to see how things are progressing. You get a 6 week post op hospital appointment too.
Hope this helps :)
Take care x

Thanks Kevin :)
I am not sure about the pills - I have been taking those Fast Tabs every day since the op so not sure it is those or not.
Although one or two days I have omitted them as just felt "crappy" - excuse the pun! hehe so I will have to monitor it.
In the beginning I was the other way around as the milk was going through me and changed to Lactose free milk.
I am probably being way over anxious but I am still at the wondering what the hell have I done stage :cry::wave_cry:

Hi jo

It will get better, first few weeks are the hardest... Are u getting enough fluids in ?

I had the wind/stitch pain and drank bottles of gripe water yep gripe water and chewed deflatines like they where sweets.

As for the number twos umm lactose should shift you if not have u tried a stool softener as well ?

Vicki xxx

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your reply :)
I am pretty sure that it is wind and constipation as I can now hear my tummy and bowel grumbling like mad. But I am not even getting the urge to go. Weirdly I havent been burping or trumping either. Pre-op my IBS never allowed a day to go by without going lol so this is all new. I have taken Lactulose but maybe not enough. Was wondering if I can take Senakot tabs too ok?
I am trying to drink loads, but boy that is hard too eh lol
Anyone that ever says WLS is the easy way will be getting a slap from me haha!

Thank you everyone for your care and support - I feel better already joining here and talking to you guys that have gone or going through the same thing - doesn't seem such a big lonely journey :) xxx

Thats what we are all here for jo, even us pre oppers can try to make you feel a touch better if we can. Sending a big hug your way chick, hope it passes soon for you so you can start enjoying your bypass x

Awww Sarah, thank you hun and I hope everything goes well for you too xx
I have seen on your signature about your sleep apnea - do you have to wear a mask etc now for a time period? A lady from the weight management course that I was on got tested positive and she has had to prove to use the equipment for a certain amount of time before they would "release" her fit for surgery. She has just done that and now waiting for a date.
Big hugs back at ya :)

Hi Jo so nice to hear from someone who know where I will be going. The constipation will pass hun, just you've had surgery and does take your body time to get over it. My doc wrote to doctor new, he's head of the endoscopy - but heard Mr Ammori mentioned, I just want to know my date now hun. Let us know how your getting on xxx

Will do Becky :)
I would think it is Mr Ammori as I believe he heads the department. He hand picked his team too so they are all superbly trained in what they do.
His secretary is really nice too and if you can get through to her once you have done tests and stuff she is really great at helping the date process to speed up :)
Good luck xx

Thanks Jo, hope your okay and will let you know x

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your reply :)
I am pretty sure that it is wind and constipation as I can now hear my tummy and bowel grumbling like mad. But I am not even getting the urge to go. Weirdly I havent been burping or trumping either. Pre-op my IBS never allowed a day to go by without going lol so this is all new. I have taken Lactulose but maybe not enough. Was wondering if I can take Senakot tabs too ok?
I am trying to drink loads, but boy that is hard too eh lol
Anyone that ever says WLS is the easy way will be getting a slap from me haha!

Thank you everyone for your care and support - I feel better already joining here and talking to you guys that have gone or going through the same thing - doesn't seem such a big lonely journey :) xxx

Hi Jo,
I hope you get yourself sorted soon. On the constipation front, I understood that Lactolose softens the stools but doesnt necessarily make you go. I was alway told that Senna is too strong and that Milpar is best at this stage. Check with your GP but maybe the combination of Lactolose to soften and Milpar to push it on its way, may be just what you need.

Hi Jo,

I hope you feel better soon, please stop researching on google I had seen so many stories and I have decided just to follow real people like on here, I am a pre-opper I met the Surgeon on Friday he said I will have the within 3 months. ring or make an appointment to see ur doctor x
Hope it all passes soon

Take care

Back