• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need help for post op liquid ideas pls

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Afternoon all, well with my op just 9 days away i need to get my ar*e into gear and sort out my post op shopping.
Can any of u lovely people give me idea for my liquid stage so i can sort out my on line shopping by mid week.
I know def soups but dont really like many soups lol so am worried i will be a bit stuck lol.
Ty and take care xxx

Protein shakes, lots of water, SF squash, clear soups, make your own so you know what is going in them. Angel delight? Erm yoghurt watered down with milk, milk.

Protein shakes, lots of water, SF squash, clear soups, make your own so you know what is going in them. Angel delight? Erm yoghurt watered down with milk, milk.
Basically everything that Sal said, also semolina, sugar free custard, etc

From Luton and Dunstable dieticians.

Phase 2:
From Day 3 until the end of week 2 after your operation-Liquids only.

*On a liquid only diet it is important to ensure that the liquids you choose provide you with enough nourishment.

*It is important that you have enough protein in your diet. This is to make sure that the weight you are losing is not your lean body tissue. (muscle)

*You should aim for at least one and a half litres of fluid/3 pints per day. You will need to take your drinks in small volumes throughout the day.

*You should take nourishing, high protein drinks first. (see table below) and then take other fluids.

Nourishing high protein fluids.
Semi-skimmed milk
Condensed soups(made up with milk)
Smooth yoghurt (low fat)
Complan made up with milk
Slimfast shake
Sugar free angel delight/sugar free
Custard
Yoghurt drinks
Smoothies
Soya milk (non sweetened)
Oat milk

Other fluids
Blended soups
water
Sugar free squash
Vegetable of fruit juice
Tea or coffee
Stock drinks -oxo/bovril

Vitamin ans mineral supplements
About 1 week after surgery you should start to take your supplements. These are the mulivitamins and mineral, iron and calcium supplements prescribed by you GP. You may need to crush them and mix with a lttle yoghurt.

Nutritional supplement drinks
It is important to have enough protein each day. Your GP will be asked to prescibe you a 200ml carton of Fortimel drink per day, or a similar nutrional supplemet drink. You should drink 1 per day for the first 6-8 weeks after surgery. Keep refridgerated and try to sip half of the carton over 1-2 hours.

A Typical days intake might be.

Breakfast: 1 glass build up or slimfast or fortimel

Mid morning: 1 glass of milk

Lunch: 1 Small cup of soup, 1 cup smooth yoghurt.

Mid afternoon: 1 cup of milk

Evening meal 1 cup of complan or slimfast of half a fortimel.

Late snack: 1 glass of milk

At Salford Royal I wasnt told to drink slimfast, complan or fortimel - just letting you know x

Be careful on spending too much though. I bought loads of drinks for after surgery only to find I don't like them anymore. Your tastes change.

Hi Roch
Like Sal i was told not to take protein drinks or had any kind of vitamins etc until 4 weeks post op. All surgeons are different so i would ask about any supplements. I did struggle on this stage as you know as my taste buds were so changed and theings i liked pre op tasted not so nice post op. That said i lived on soups but it took a long time to find one i liked lol. Sugar free angel delight and muller lite yougharts were good. I also ate sugar free custard and drank as much milk as i could in various forms. It will be trial and error Roch to be honest until you find something you like but as Jaxx says don't spend too much i wasted so much food in the early days xx

I would have said not to get too much in advance.

I could only have fluids for two weeks and had consomme, soups and blitzed down mince and gravy type things (incl Christmas dinner!!) and yoghurt.

I drank loads of milk and fortified it with milk powder and added that to soups etc. I used Sanatogen protein powder as well but I think it's been discontinued now.

Drink loads of water as well. And tea coffee etc.

Ask about vitamins cos appaerently the body has 4 weeks store before it becomes a problem.

Crushed tablets were awful - I had to have essential medication crushed that didn't come in liquid or dispersible forms and took it in yoghurt! Lets just say that not always did the dose stay where it should!!

Hope all goes well for you

Best wishes Angela

Semi skimmed milk in any format, as iced coffee, or milky coffee, SF angel delight, I made and froze portions of Birds SF Dream Topping and just had to make sure it dissolved in my mouth before swallowing. Fruit juice water down by 50%, yogs strained of any lumps and thinned down with milk, Tescos Cherries and Berries NAS squash make a great hot drink, Oxo, Boveil, Marmite, Baxters Consomme soup exprensive but yum, any type of tea, I lived on peppermint, I was allowed sugar free jelly although there is no nutrition in it. I was told no fizzy drinks and no alcohol. Like everyone else I too bought way too much and am still working my way through it!

Good post Roch, am watching with interest for divine inspiration......one day! xx

Hi Roch

Only buy one or two of each thing as you will be surprised what will make you gag afterwards. I used to drink about 10 mugs of tea a day and now it makes me gag.

I live on slimfast, soup and sugar free jelly for the first ten days. They said to drink loads of water (better if you add sugar free squash) but to be honest if I drank water I couldnt eat and vice versa. The slimfast are on offer at Asda at the moment (two for £1.50) and are long dated.

Oh, and one other thing. I could only drink really ice cold drinks so stock up on ice bags/trays etc.

I have stacks of liquid diet shakes & soups (Cambridge, Celeb Slim & AllaboutW8) can we use them post op liquid phase?

Roch and I are both getting done same day :D excited yet babe?

apart from the soups n cordials , milk n water i had reduced sugar lemmon tea, oxo, fruit teas,options white coc is my favoret, i got lots of perfectly clear flavoured still water but found i didnt like them any more they taste too sweet now, also went off tea n coffee but loved coffee if it was made with ss milk not water not a lover of cordials now they taste to sweet aswell exept sf vimto made with hot water...............kath x

Morning all ty so much for all ur replies and ideas, with my op in 7 days time am starting to get a list together for my shopping and i will do a on line shop on Friday.
Am pleased i have read on many posts that ur taste buds change as i am known for sticking to just a couple of foods my worst one is "special k with berries and shape fuller yogs instead of milk" and i could have that 3 meals a day, for weeks on end lol.

Obviously i know i cant have it in my liquid stage lol but this post has made me realise that i should buy just a few of each things just in case i dont like them post op.
Ty again have added all ur ideas to my list xxx

What a fabulous thread, it is all so informative. Hopefully I will be joining you soon (first appointment at hospital on Friday) and be able to add my bits that might help others on their journey too.

Hi Roch

I was thinking of you this morning and wondered how you were getting on, so I popped over from the 'other side' and here you are only a week away from your op!!! How exciting.

I'd just like to wish you all the best and hope everything goes well for you. I know you tried everything else possible before you took this route and you truley deserve every success with it. Will pop back to see how you get on. With love...

Back