• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous fat man, LB to MGB

CANKSTER

Thought I may as well start one of these as I'm due into the charnel house on the 8th Sep and would like to record my journey and learn from the rest of you wonderful people.

I have struggled with my weight all my life and was 26 stone at my heaviest. I got down to 13st around 7 years ago using lipotrim but began to put the weight back on. When my regain got to 16 stone around 5 yrs ago I got the band, initially I did ok but I have never got in with it and now I sit at just over 20 stone.

After lots of chats with the peeps at Belgium Surgery Services and much soul searching I have decided to go for the MGB as I think it is better suited to my personality.

I am considering seeing some sort of counsellor to deal with the issues of why I overeat rather than just dealing with the symptoms, I am nervous taking this path though and it is not the sort of thing blokes do?

Has anyone else done this, did it help?

Just wanted to wish you luck x

Good luck!

Just like everyone else I too wish you nothing but best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm lapband to Mgb revision also. But last year I had about six months of counselling, I found it so useful to understand why I over ate and l really found out a lot about myself. It gave me lots of confidence and I finally figured out that in general I'm a pretty good person and I didn't have o be so conscious all the time about pleasing people and worrying about what they thought of me all the time. however I didn't find that it gave me the tools to not use food emotionally. I am so glad that I went though. I think of you commit to it long term then it can help you find the tools to control it but I didn't go for long enough I just had my revision instead! But doing both together sounds like a really good plan.

I have had counselling as to why I overeat, but ... and this is just a personal thing, you have to take their advice on board and in my opinion I was given a load of tools to use, just couldn't use them when I needed to. I am glad I had the counselling and may go back to it in the future. It allowed me to understand my eating patterns, why my low self esteem affects them and as I said, provided me with some very useful tools. The problem I had was that when I am caught up in the emotion... the tools are thown away and I haven't got into the hang of using them.

This is my personal experience, so please don't let it put you off. I would still recommend it. :) Good luck

Well the day is fast hoving into view so I have made a list (with the help of you lovely people).

Eh1c Card - DONE
Clear cuppa soups - done
(Chinese over from hotel does nice clear soups )
Tiny robinson concentrate juice add drops to water- done
Mint/fruity teas - DONE
Dutch crisp bakes
PJs loose clothes for post op - Done
Pillows - Done
iPad - done
Phone - done
Kindle - done
Soluble pain killers - done
40mg omaprezole
Wind relief - done
Dry mouth spray - done
Get actimels off breakfast buffet
Can ask reception for kettle , not standard in room
Chargers, adaptors etc.

Have I missed anything, can anyone think of an addition?

Spoke to Bart yesterday and he confirmed all monies received so all I have to do now is fight my way through Calais and get my arse in vilvoorde.

Hopefully one week from now I will be posting gruesome posts from the loo.

Best of luck, you will be fine in Dr Chris's hands. So many if us can testify to that.

Re the counselling, i had done years ago after my band but unfortunately coincided with one of the most stressful times for our family, my son was very very ill snd the counsellor ended up crying on my shoulder cis she also had a sick kid and was in a worse state than me.

Been meaning to ask if I could have another go. Will bring it up with my GP. I think if you can do it you should, nothing ventured etc..

Hello there, not long for you now. Wishing you lots of luck! Counselling is a good idea, nothing ventured etc..

Thank you all :)

I am just doing a Tesco online order ready for when I get back from Belgium, are there any products or foods that you post opera would recommend I get?

Just popped on to wish you good luck

Thank you all :)

I am just doing a Tesco online order ready for when I get back from Belgium, are there any products or foods that you post opera would recommend I get?

Everybody's provider is different with there advice so follow what your provider suggests, it differs up and down the country and to who does your op.
Good luck on your journey.

Thank you all :) I am just doing a Tesco online order ready for when I get back from Belgium, are there any products or foods that you post opera would recommend I get?

Dried skimmed milk powder. For mixing into soups and milky drinks.. ups the protein. own brand is fine

Do you have a handheld stick blender?

Last edited:
Brilliant, I have a stick blender and one of those smoothly makers I use for shakes. Will I still be ok to have the cambridge/exante shakes after op?

I've also bought lots of soup (no lumps), bovril and jelly :)

Brilliant, I have a stick blender and one of those smoothly makers I use for shakes. Will I still be ok to have the cambridge/exante shakes after op? I've also bought lots of soup (no lumps), bovril and jelly :)

I never used protein or Slimfast type drinks post surgery. You would have to look at the sugar content. Dr Chris said it was OK for me to have the thick greek yogurts as long as there were "no bits Miss" :D. I had Fage0% mixed with banana and /or strawberries and few drops of honey, blended with my stick thingy, or Danio blended with More Fage0%. These arebgood ways to get some protein in early on.

I made homemade soups and added the skimmed milk powder. A milky coffee is a good way to get protein in, I use semi skimmed milk and that Nescafe Intenso stuff.

Most important is to keep sipping away. Not sure if anyone else found this but water tastes very chemically now, same with NAS drinks, ordinary tea tastes weird as well so I live on unsweetened fruit tea.

It is trial and error to be honest, I tried a few things I didn't like.

Best if luck :D

I agree Weegie I cant drink straight water it tastes funny, I use no added sugar squash, not ideal I know but best I can find. It has to be weak dilution as well made one batch to "syrupy" by accident and I sip and my pouch let me know it didn't approve.

I agree Weegie I cant drink straight water it tastes funny, I use no added sugar squash, not ideal I know but best I can find. It has to be weak dilution as well made one batch to "syrupy" by accident and I sip and my pouch let me know it didn't approve.

Funny isn't it. I stick to clean foods where possible as additives really affect the taste foe me. I only drink hot drinks and have found this suits me perfectly. I get a good 2 litres in a day using one of these.. Otherwise my drink would be cold every few minutes. Bit expensive, unless you have a Costco card but I wouldn't be without.

Attachments

• image-1044081995.jpg
    image-1044081995.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 24
When I had the band done with Dr Chris they shaved my stomach with a cheap razor (dry), the itching from the shave was worse than the pain from the scars.

Do they still do this? If so I will shave my stomach and "man garden" myself before I go.

Question for the blokes really but it may apply to some of the more hirsute girls x

Back