• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and looking for advice

My hubby was right behind me .. He knew if I didn't do something about my weight , I would die young , get diabetes , and become fully disabled .. Both my knees are totally knackered , one worse than they other at mo , and I'm to heavy to have new knees , so I had no choice ..
I've said before on here , we take chances with our lives on a daily basis , driving the car , crossing the road , plugging electrical items in , flying , taking the train , the list is endless .. You've got more chance of being hit by a car than dying on that table .. The severe side affects of anaesthetic are extremely rare .. This is only a short op , less than an hour , mine was 40 mins .. Just a few short minutes that will in the long run save your life , give you a better life and make you happy ..
I'd never had an operation in all my 53 years , I wasnt nervous what so ever . It's been a compete change of attitude , life style and changed me in so many ways I can't even describe ..
Don't worry about it , you'll be in the best possible hands on that table
Xxxxx

My hubby was right behind me .. He knew if I didn't do something about my weight , I would die young , get diabetes , and become fully disabled .. Both my knees are totally knackered , one worse than they other at mo , and I'm to heavy to have new knees , so I had no choice ..
I've said before on here , we take chances with our lives on a daily basis , driving the car , crossing the road , plugging electrical items in , flying , taking the train , the list is endless .. You've got more chance of being hit by a car than dying on that table .. The severe side affects of anaesthetic are extremely rare .. This is only a short op , less than an hour , mine was 40 mins .. Just a few short minutes that will in the long run save your life , give you a better life and make you happy ..
I'd never had an operation in all my 53 years , I wasnt nervous what so ever . It's been a compete change of attitude , life style and changed me in so many ways I can't even describe ..
Don't worry about it , you'll be in the best possible hands on that table
Xxxxx

Thank you :) I know that it's very slight chances of anything bad happening I just can't help but worry. I just want.to be out the other side now. I know what you mean and your so lucky to have your family behind you. As I said earlier I don't even care about food now I eat because I have too I just want to be happy and have our family. I think I'm gonna sit him down and explain that I need this and once he can see that it'll make me happy he will be happy but will worry until everything is done and ok. Thank you for your time in replying and we'll done with your journey xx

My husband knew I felt this was my last chance and he fully supported me doing something to help myself for once. He's lived through me nearly dying twice so has seen me survive emergency operations with far far worse odds than this one so that tiny risk wasn't really much of a consideration for us. I think the fact I'm an NHS patient so it took about 18 months gave him time to get used to the idea. Plus in the 16 years we've been together I've never not struggled with my weight.
Right now he's just happy that for once something's working for me. I've had several ops for other things that were meant to improve my quality of life and didn't so he's pleased this one is working out :) I have small children who were very anxious because of what they've already been through but I did this in part to give them the best chance of having me around as long as possible too. You want to be in the best condition to get pregnant and enjoy having a family. That's responsible and plus you're allowed to want to be happy. You're the one whose going to put in all the hard work after all :)

My husband knew I felt this was my last chance and he fully supported me doing something to help myself for once. He's lived through me nearly dying twice so has seen me survive emergency operations with far far worse odds than this one so that tiny risk wasn't really much of a consideration for us. I think the fact I'm an NHS patient so it took about 18 months gave him time to get used to the idea. Plus in the 16 years we've been together I've never not struggled with my weight.
Right now he's just happy that for once something's working for me. I've had several ops for other things that were meant to improve my quality of life and didn't so he's pleased this one is working out :) I have small children who were very anxious because of what they've already been through but I did this in part to give them the best chance of having me around as long as possible too. You want to be in the best condition to get pregnant and enjoy having a family. That's responsible and plus you're allowed to want to be happy. You're the one whose going to put in all the hard work after all :)

Thanks fee :) I know your right and I do need it I just can't do it on my own and I want the weight gone. I understand the sleeve is a tool but it's a tool I need, I know that it won't be easy but just to not have to worry about food and not feel hungry will be amazing. I have done so much research I know about head hunger and the regret but to me it'll be worth it not to see what I see now in the mirror. To be able to go out in the sun not covered up (normally in black) melting while others are nice and cool. Not to walk a short distance and then be in pain. There's so many things to look forward to but when I read something or watch a video where someone has sadly lost their life to the surgery or complications after it really hits me and scares me even more. I think what if that's me! Sorry for the misery lol I am working on that and to finally be happy after all these years ;) thanks for all your advice you are all so nice so it's great to come here and air all my worries as I know you all understand me. Ok enough doom and gloom I'm gonna talk to hubby and look at finances eek xx

Well I did it!!! I spoke to hubby and he fully understood and he said that if it's what I want then he will support me fully. I am so happy that's out of the way and he said that we can afford the finance too. I feel so much better now as it's decided just have to find out who to go with now provider wise in Wales. Anyone recommend a provider? Thanks for all your support as well you've all been amazing xxx exciting scary times ahead :rolleyes: xx

Hi there everyone. I have been reasearching wls for quite some time and I'm finally coming to the conclusion that I need to have it done. I'm female 5' 3" and roughly 23 stones, I have been overweight my entire life and I am now 36. I am happily married my husband loves me as I am but we want a baby and with me being overweight as I am and also having pcos it's not gonna happen unless I do something. I have tried every diet out there, pills, weight loss clubs and anything else I could. I have been to my doctor and they just fob me off, if I go ahead I will be self funding but I'm at a cross roads. I am absolutely terrified of having the op and not waking up or having it and then complications which I won't recover from. I was thinking of the band as it's the least invasive but recently been thinking of bypass. My husband isn't too happy about this but I need to do something as I want to be a mother so badly it hurts, also I'm sick of feeling uncomfortable in my skin and feeling like I'm being stared at all the time. I want to be slim and healthy and wake up happy and look forward to my day. At the moment I have so much anxiety when I think about leaving the house as I hate the way I am. I know it's a long post and I'm sorry but it was good to get my feelings out, my husband is so supportive I just think he's scared for me as it's a big op and lifestyle change. If anyone could give advice that would be fab as I said my biggest fear is dying, either through not waking up from the op, complications after or just from being overweight. I've read some posts here and you all seem amazing so I'm sending love to you all. Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance for any insight you can give ☺ xxx
Hi moon child!! I just joined this forum yesterday and if could have written my introduction I would have just copied and pasted yours!! I am in exactly the same boat ... ONLY I actually have 2 boys. Suffering also from pcos, weighing 275 lbs at 36 and bmi of 43.
I have just started my journey into this wls and have only today filled in my forms and sent them off to pay myslef for surgery in Brussels , hopefully this August . I am also shit scared . Weird thing I am getting is that all of a sudden when I poke my belly to pretend it's an incsision site with my finger, it already hurts!! But somethings gotta give and I need to take control. After reading these posts I have found an absolutely supportive "family" out there who has / is going through EXACTLY what we are going through. I hope that we end up writing a much better and happier post after our surgeries!! Best of luck X

Moonchild, I went private and had the sleeve done in May. I wish I'd done it years ago as I'm now in my 50's and I feel I've missed out on so much. I really like having the sleeve and I enjoy working with it. The family are all great with me as we share my plate around the table each time we go out!!

Don't worry about the op. When my surgeon came to see me the day after he told me it was a textbook op and took 25 mins from beginning to end and 5 of those mins were getting the 5 entry holes done. If it were me, I'd get it done xx

Hi moon child!! I just joined this forum yesterday and if could have written my introduction I would have just copied and pasted yours!! I am in exactly the same boat ... ONLY I actually have 2 boys. Suffering also from pcos, weighing 275 lbs at 36 and bmi of 43.
I have just started my journey into this wls and have only today filled in my forms and sent them off to pay myslef for surgery in Brussels , hopefully this August . I am also shit scared . Weird thing I am getting is that all of a sudden when I poke my belly to pretend it's an incsision site with my finger, it already hurts!! But somethings gotta give and I need to take control. After reading these posts I have found an absolutely supportive "family" out there who has / is going through EXACTLY what we are going through. I hope that we end up writing a much better and happier post after our surgeries!! Best of luck X

Aw I know exactly what you mean this forum is amazing. Everyone's so lovely, we are in such good company and your right they are so supportive. I've made the decision and I've spoken to my husband who is totally supportive and finances work out ok as long as I can get finance. I'm in the middle of starting to get information from providers as I need to decide who to go with. You'll do amazing and as you've read I am terrified but I'm trying to think of the future when it's all done and I start losing weight and I can do the rings I've always wanted to do. Good luck with your op let us know your date xx

Moonchild, I went private and had the sleeve done in May. I wish I'd done it years ago as I'm now in my 50's and I feel I've missed out on so much. I really like having the sleeve and I enjoy working with it. The family are all great with me as we share my plate around the table each time we go out!!

Don't worry about the op. When my surgeon came to see me the day after he told me it was a textbook op and took 25 mins from beginning to end and 5 of those mins were getting the 5 entry holes done. If it were me, I'd get it done xx

Hi Lynn, thanks for your reply. I know what you mean and it does help what you've told me about the op but I'm still scared. I do worry about how I will manage food wise afterwards but I'm ok with eating less and stuff lol. I do wonder how I will answer questions about weight loss as I'm telling no one apart from you guys and hubby xx thanks again and we'll done so far xx

Aw I know exactly what you mean this forum is amazing. Everyone's so lovely, we are in such good company and your right they are so supportive. I've made the decision and I've spoken to my husband who is totally supportive and finances work out ok as long as I can get finance. I'm in the middle of starting to get information from providers as I need to decide who to go with. You'll do amazing and as you've read I am terrified but I'm trying to think of the future when it's all done and I start losing weight and I can do the rings I've always wanted to do. Good luck with your op let us know your date xx

Hi, so I have found out today that I am actually possibly eligible for the sleeve Instead of the bypass! Which I think?!!! Is good news? From what I have read it's less invasive and hopefully a easier/ better recovery? . The date has come also for 4th August and now just ordered my slim fast as I need to do 2 weeks of liquid diet . The journey now begins once those are recieved

Hi, 4th August is not long at all!

For deciding on the op, have a look at what is best for you afterwards - what sort of eater are you? Grazer? Sweet tooth? Snacker? I have chosen the bypass as I have a sweet tooth and want the threat of dumping as a deterrent. Also if you have acid issues the sleeve might not be best.

The stats supposedly say that you are more likely to lose a larger percentage of your excess weight with the bypass, but, there are members here that have proven you can do just as well with a sleeve.

It is down to research and personal choice in the end!

Hi, so I have found out today that I am actually possibly eligible for the sleeve Instead of the bypass! Which I think?!!! Is good news? From what I have read it's less invasive and hopefully a easier/ better recovery? . The date has come also for 4th August and now just ordered my slim fast as I need to do 2 weeks of liquid diet . The journey now begins once those are recieved

Aw that's fab :) that's not far away at all yay. I think thatit is personal preference as even though the bypass sounds scary I've read about so many people doing really well on it. Sleeve is less invasive but again depends on your needs, what um trying to say is don't rule it out altogether do some research and decide. Good luck on your pre op diet I'm hoping I won be too far behind you xx

For deciding on the op, have a look at what is best for you afterwards - what sort of eater are you? Grazer? Sweet tooth? Snacker? I have chosen the bypass as I have a sweet tooth and want the threat of dumping as a deterrent. Also if you have acid issues the sleeve might not be best.

The stats supposedly say that you are more likely to lose a larger percentage of your excess weight with the bypass, but, there are members here that have proven you can do just as well with a sleeve.

Hi hannah. I think that the reason why people think about having the sleeve is it is less invasive but again it's about preference and what works for you. Have you had your op yet? I was all for the sleeve but am looking into bypass now as an option as I can't decide between the 2. Hope all goes well for you and keep us updated xx

To be honest I don't like sweets or sweet stuff but I do need to have a couple of diet cokes a day to keep me going. Don't know how I am goi h to live without those after surgery , that's gonna be difficult ( the most difficult thing I think along with not being able to drink with my meal ) but I am mainly a volume eater. Don't graze but when I eat my three meals , I literally eat till I am full and then stop.

I used to drink at least 2 litres of Pepsi Max a day and had for 20 years. I didn't quit during the milk diet as I figured I'd feel rough after surgery I might as well throw in some caffeine withdrawal too. I honestly didn't notice and I've not missed it yet but as I don't drink I think I will at this wedding I've got next month because it's definitely good in social situations :) Anyway try not to worry about the diet coke if possible x

Hi guys ;) hope that everyone is well. I've done some research and I've contacted several places so I've got further than I did before. Prices vary and I'm still not sure what provider to go with as some are cheaper than others but what is the care like if you know what I mean lol. Can I ask those who self funded who you went with and why I know it's cheeky and I understand if you don't want to but I want to make sure I have all the options checked. Also how much do you spend roughly on food now those that have had sleeve or bypass sorry being nosey again but I'm trying to budget and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Again if you don't want to say I understand just trying to get as much info as possible before I commit. Thanks tho to you all your all amazing here xxx

Food after has dramatically changed ...
I didn't realise how much junk I actually ate and how much I spent on food that I enjoyed ....
Literally halved my shopping bill xx

Aw thanks so much tracey for that :D
There's just me and my husband (hoping to change that once I've lost enough weight and add a baby eek) at the moment I'm trying to get everything set. I'm looking forward to not having to eat alot if I'm honest not just for saving money but ease and being bothered if that makes sense. Thanks again it all helps xx

Just not drinking so much pepsi max every day has saved loads. That probably added up to £15 of every shop plus extras when I was out. I don't eat junk anymore and we don't have take out except very occasionally and if I do have something from say the Chinese, a single portion of tofu and veg (no rice, crackers, starters etc) will do at least 2 meals and I normally end up tossing half of it. Not grabbing chocolate on the go or splurging on treats for date night saves so much. We've gone from a fairly big shop a week plus 3 meals from a place called Gusto to one big shop a month with a couple of top ups :) The Gusto boxes are great too because they are portioned out, have all the nutritional info and make it easier for my husband to cook. Some I can't have so it does him for 2 meals, some I can have and split my half over at least 2 meals and sometimes he and the kids eat them :)

My protein bars were fairly expensive for a box but when you think £17 for 12 meals it's not too bad at all.

My interest in food has dropped off dramatically also .. I'm not even cooking to be honest at the moment .. I live on those slimmers world meals and a few other ready made meals that are just the right size for me .. Wiltshire farm foods has caught me attention also as they sell small meals for under £2 ..
Hubby tends to eat a meal while he's at work so I don't have to worry about feeding him ..
So I hardly spend money at all thinking about it ..
Strange sensation to know that food isn't the first thought of the day !

Back