• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New bander.... on Thursday!

slothey

Hello hello everyone! Just wanted to say that I am reallyyyyyyy excited about being banded in a few days. I am waiting for the fear to kick in... but in all honesty... I'm really looking forward to it :D.
I lost 4kgs in the first week of the pre-op diet but I have not weighed myself since. I'm hoping I've shed about 7kgs in total... (I will know the morning of the operation!)

Anyways.. just wanted to say a big HI! and that I will hopefully start up a new diary from day 1 of the op. I'm hoping to report daily food intake, and my exercise plan as I go along. I know there will be many ups and downs (which you will all witness), however, given that there have been so many people on this forum that have just taken the bull by the horns and beaten this, I hope to do the same.

If anyone else is being banded around the same time as me, feel free to introduce yourselves! I think it would be great to have a banded buddy to push each other when times are tough.

Many thanks for all your inspiring posts and pictures and discussions. I look forward to many more!

S x

Welcome and good luck with your surgery this week ~ I was banded 6 wks ago this thursday :)

Hi slothey good luck for Thursday, I got banded last Thursday and feeling ok apart from pesky wind pain lol x

Good luck slothy, hope all goes well. Let us know how you get on, got mine in just over 2 weeks x

Thank you very much for your posts! It is great to know that there are a few of us that are at similar stages... top_kat, Meggie moo and SAS1... we have to kick some ass! :D
I have one last appointment later this afternoon.... its just a wee chat with the nurse so that she gives me tips on how to live with a band... and how to make sure that I work with it to get optimal results.

I am a little worried about the wind pain... fingers crossed its not too bad :( Oh well... I will take it a day at a time...

don't worry too much, you may escape it. I had one afternoon with a little bit when I went onto mashed food, but apart from that, didn't suffer from wind pain at all post surgery :)

Wind pain is bearable just annoying slothey and its not forever x

I agree we do indeed need to kick some weight loss ass :) x

Fingers crossed... I hope I am lucky as you top_kat!

I'm trying to think of strategies of making sure I loose the weight I need so that I can be in the best shape I can by July of next year. It might be a good idea to have a goal for the month.. and maybe re-vist the goal at the end of the month to see whether I have achieved it...

I've got about 100 lbs to loose... so... its quite a challenge!

I have a longer term goal of where I want to be, but it involves a lost of 186 lbs! I dont want to think that long term ahead so I've set myself mini goals.

The first was to be under a BMI of 50 which I was almost 55 when I started, I've done that one. Then I had a certain loss by my birthday, and Ive done that one, and I've got a target for end of Nov, to reach my 50lb loss, then 40 BMI, and so on.

Thinking of it in this way, breaks it down into manageable bits and doesnt seem so overwhelming.

Exercise wise I've joined a gym and have set myself goals on attendance and also what I do when there :)

I think you are right... the mini goals are actually a great way to do it. 50lbs in just a few months is tremendous progress! Keep that goal in mind... you are obviously on the right track!

I was wondering... how long after surgery can a person start exercising? I've been killing myself with spinning classes over the past few weeks... and its been really great. I really want to get right back into it as soon as I can!

slothey said:
I think you are right... the mini goals are actually a great way to do it. 50lbs in just a few months is tremendous progress! Keep that goal in mind... you are obviously on the right track!

I was wondering... how long after surgery can a person start exercising? I've been killing myself with spinning classes over the past few weeks... and its been really great. I really want to get right back into it as soon as I can!

That's what I want to know too, I'm a zumba freak and at the moment can't do it as just had a knee op, but feeling the withdrawal symptoms now. I suppose after the op it there will be a period of time for the internal stitches to heal also, maybe someone else can let us know. I love my classes, miserable without them!!! X

A big hi back to you slothey :D

Welcome and hello! I was banded on Sunday and no regrets yet! Just be prepared for the wind pain! It was more uncomfortable than I thought! Get windeze, peppermint tea, and co codamol soluble have been my godsend! :) good luck x

p_relf said:
Welcome and hello! I was banded on Sunday and no regrets yet! Just be prepared for the wind pain! It was more uncomfortable than I thought! Get windeze, peppermint tea, and co codamol soluble have been my godsend! :) good luck x

Hi p-relf, how are you feeling today? What type of food/mushies have you managed? Did you get blood thinning meds? Hope you have a speedy recovery and get plenty of rest!!! X

Yeah much better today and slept all night! Still on liquids for 2 weeks (my providers guidance) so soup, smoothies and milk. Although I have taken a week of leave from work I'm probably going to take another to be 100%. :)

Was given clexane injection after my surgery to thin my blood and on the day of discharge! None since! I have my surgical stockings on for a week! Hope that helps! :)

@p_relf - thanks for the tips... I actually had none of these prepared.. so I will make sure to do so today! eek!

@Sas_1 - I hope your knee gets better soon!!! I think you have a bit of time to recover given that my bariatric nurse suggested at least a 4 weeks prior to get back to spinning/strenuous exercise. In addition, she said to wait at least 6 weeks post-op to start doing weights. So I guess I'm going to have to stick to walking for the first 2 weeks, and then maybe jogging... lets see how it goes.

@ flutterby and maphilips - thank you for your support! It is great to hear from experienced banders!

As I was speaking to the bariatric nurse yesterday, she kept mentioning that sometimes you can't reach your goal weight because of 'life events' that may occur and which may steer my attention from weight-loss for a while. I think she was trying to make sure I know what to expect - and that the work is not going to be done for me - rather, I need to work with the band, and that the more I am on top of it, there should be no reason to get there. I think it is just her job to make sure people dont have huge expectations - I think she was trying to keep me grounded, and also just kept drilling the fact that exercise is key.
I have a pretty hectic year ahead of me this year - last year of my PhD... so I need to keep my cool and not get too stressed. I am truly hoping that by September next year, I can submit my thesis and be at my target weight and kill two bird with one stone).
Fingers crossed....

I think they always stress that the band isn't a quick fix, and that its a tool for you to use. Again it doesn't correct or re train your brain, so if you eat when bored or with your emotions then it won't stop that. I know people who have had a band and they haven't lost much weight as they can still get ice cream and choc down it.

I personally have just spent £5000 on it and intend to use it correctly and learn from it. I feel like I'm back at the beginning and will learn from the band what I can eat and what I can't. They also recommend the 20,20,20 rule. So chew 20 times, put ur cutlery down for 20 seconds between mouthfuls and it should take 20 minutes to eat your meal.

I am sure Im not going to be 100 perfect and there will be times when I eat something wrong, but you will soon learn...

Just had an innocent smoothie and stuffed... Lol :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

good luck with you op
please let us all know how you get on
i am having mine op 14th oct at DOLAN PARK
at the moment i am on pre op diet not enjoying it much
days not to bad but nights struggling so got knitting pins out
to keep busy

kay xx

Back