• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New bander.... on Thursday!

Hiya hon, that's a fantastic idea alternating your calories, I'm going to try that from Saturday.

I'm feeling great, but feeling hunger too! :( I can eat anything at moment, bread, steak (well done - burnt to a cinder) nothing seems to get stuck, but I have nothing in there. My 1st fill is December 11th, still soooo far away and I worry over the ongoing willpower I need to find!!!

Id like to lose 10lb before Xmas, to reach the 14stones (albeit at the top range) so need to get focused. Do you have MFP? Love to see your diet, if so can you add me SABS70

Keep up the good work now, you are doing fab!! Xxx

slothey said:
I had my 4 week post-op check-up with both my doctor and dietician yesterday.

First the dietician: She weighed me - I am now 105kgs, which means that I have lost 13kgs since the pre-op diet. That takes me from a BMI of 38 to a BMI of 34! She was very happy with my loss - slow and steady decline makes it easier on the body. I think I am losing approximately 1kg per week on average, so its been good so far. I have managed to eat everything... bread, rice, chicken, fish, potatoes (amongst many other veggies), cereal, porridge... you name it. The dietician is happy that I have managed to eat everything without a problem, and that I have yet to throw up... so good news... Although I am not starving between meals, she thought it would be best to start off with my first fill in 2 weeks. Am very excited!

Now.. for the Doctor - he looked at the scars - was very happy with the way they were healing. He said that I should not be able to notice them in a few months :) We discussed my progress, weight loss... etc... and he seems very happy with everything so far. He said that I can fully go back to the gym - So I'm going to give spinning a try on Saturday. If it goes well - he suggested I do that 3-4 times a week. I have to wait a few more weeks to lift weights though.

It was very sweet of them to take the time to check on things to make sure I was on the right track. Funny enough, my dietician has set my goal for the end of January - 93kgs. That means a loss of 12kgs in a little under 12 weeks. That would take me to a BMI of 30. I am secretly working towards reaching that weight by Christmas :)

All in all, my target weight is 70kgs, and I am hoping to get there by June 2013...

Fingers crossed....

S xx

That's amazing (your bmi) well done u x how did u find op?

That is funny Sharon because my dietician told me to try eating bread and mean and fish so that I test the waters and make sure that nothing bothers me - so over the last week I tried bread, rice, veggie burger, bulgur wheat, fish, potatoes, meat - and everything was perfectly fine - had no problems at all -

except that all the trying got my appetite going and I'm pretty much hungry all the time now - its like night and day! I caved a few times because of obligatory dinners etc... but must get back on track from tomorrow. I actually dont have my first fill booked, but I will email the hospital tomorrow to book one maybe next week or the week after.

I don't have MFP, but I have been wanting to register and give it a try.... so when I do.. I'll make sure to add you :)

Hope you had a good weekend!

S x

@mollythedogsmum - thank you for your message :) The op went well, and besides the first day, I felt that my body recovered very very quickly. The first day is always tough... but time flies because you are practically asleep or immobile the whole day - so I spent my time awake watching tv so that I did not have to think of the shoulder pain I was experiencing. I went back to work after 5 days - and I was feeling close to normal. Now - 5 weeks post op, I feel like it was eons ago that I had the surgery.

I know that the anxiety of having an operation is inevitable, but try and reason with yourself that this is all for the best, and that everything will be fine - because it will be :)

Best of luck, and please feel free to msg if you have any other questions!

S xx

So... for the past 3 days, I've had a constant pain on the right side of my stomach... and its approximately the same level as my navel. I have ALWAYS been paranoid about my appendix rupturing, so I emailed my band surgeon and asked for his opinion and asked him if he thought it could be a complication from the gastric band surgery - he replied promtly, asked me a few questions, and from my replies he deduced that the pain may be coming from my ovaries...

I have PCOS - so I'm not at all surprised. I booked an appointment with my GP for this afternoon. If he thinks there is something wrong with my ovaries too, I will probably need an ultrasound to check on the problem. I am a little worried. Although the pain is not excrutiating, it is still constant.. and its like a wee pinching pain, and depending on how I move, it can intensify.

Any ideas what it may be?

S xx

Hi hon sorry to hear this. Hope you are feeling better soon.
I also have PCOS but normally get my pain just above the top of groin region, is that where you feel it? As you say best getting a scan just to be careful, hope its not one where they make you drink gallons of water then prod about...hate them! :(

At moment I'm getting quite a bit of discomfort from my port area, it's just below cleavage. I don't know if its cos I'm wearing a tighter bra, it also feels very prominent too, sticks out a lot more, I hope that's due to weightloss and it hadn't flipped. I've got my 1st fill in December, so soon know.

Let's know how you get on with things, hope all is well, sending you hugs! Xxx

Sharon, don't worry about the port area too much - it probably is your bra, or you might be pushing against it if you sleep on your stomach. As for the bra situation, I tend to use a looser bra - then I usually fold some tissues into a wee cushion so that it takes a little pressure off the area. Give it a try - it might help with the soreness.

I have spent the majority of the last week seeing my GP and my surgeon to check up on the pain that I have been having to the right of my navel. My GP was completely useless and unprofessional - she told me that I had rupturing ovarian cysts - followed by - "there's nothing we can do about it so go home and get some rest". I didn't really believe her because the position of the pain was too high for it to be that - so I went to my surgeon - he thought it might have been a hernia - he put some pressure on the area and felt around but he does not think I have a hernia - so he thinks its inflammation of my lymph nodes (that happens when your body is weak and immune system is working hard).

Since then - the pain has kind of remained. It has not gotten better or worse. It is still there.

I did however go back yesterday for my first fill!!! The nurse took out the solution in the band (from surgery) to see how much I had in there (they usually have some saline in there to prime the lines). I had 2.6mls in the band already - and the nurse added 1.2mls, taking me to a total of 3.8mls in a 10ml band. So far liquids have been fine. I will be trying an omelette for lunch - fingers crossed it all goes down well.

My nurse mentioned that I should be having fills every 2-4 weeks until I get to that sweet spot. So that means I have to go back for a wee fill before xmas. That should stop me from over-eating! lol!

In any case - I weighed myself yesterday morning - and I am currently 103.5kgs (from my initial 118kgs pre op), so I have lost a total of 15kgs so far. I am aiming to be under 98 by the time Xmas rolls around. Ahhh! Cant wait to get to double digits! Its been way too long.... I cant even remember last time I was below 100.

Hope everyone is doing well,

S xx

Sorry to hear you've been having pain... but what an amazing loss! Well done :) x

SAS1 said:
Hi hon sorry to hear this. Hope you are feeling better soon.
I also have PCOS but normally get my pain just above the top of groin region, is that where you feel it? As you say best getting a scan just to be careful, hope its not one where they make you drink gallons of water then prod about...hate them! :(

At moment I'm getting quite a bit of discomfort from my port area, it's just below cleavage. I don't know if its cos I'm wearing a tighter bra, it also feels very prominent too, sticks out a lot more, I hope that's due to weightloss and it hadn't flipped. I've got my 1st fill in December, so soon know.

Let's know how you get on with things, hope all is well, sending you hugs! Xxx

Sharon when I had my first fill yesterday I found out my port wasn't where I thought it was but an inch lower! The lump I was sure was the port was just scar tissue!

Thank you Toby! If I am not mistaken, are up for your first fill soon? I think every provided does things differently, but personally I like the idea of going back every 2-4 weeks for a fill - talking to the nurse and going through the process of a fill makes me re-think about all of this and it kind of gives me a little motivation - to see this through.

Many people get annoyed when they receive a small amount in their band. I'll be honest and tell you that I DO feel restriction - but it will probably only last for 2-3 weeks - but my surgeon keeps telling me that its all about getting the most out of the band. If I can have small increases in the band - at which I feel restriction for a couple of weeks at a time - its a good thing :)

S xx

I can't wait for my fill, I'm starving all the time and my stomach really gurgles loudly... It's embarrassing!!! :)
I think I can feel my port, it's very hard disc about the size of a £2 coin, and very prominent, I can even feel the tube underneath
Possibly cos I haven't got much of a cleavage, more of a pair of spaniels ears lol!!!
Glad to hear your fills went well girls, makes me feel less worried when my turn comes.
Sorry to hear you are still in pain slothey, I thought it may have been a hernia, but don't know what could be. Hope all gets better soon, try get some rest xxx

I have about 3.8mls in a 10ml band. I felt restriction the first couple of days, but not much after that. The thing I struggle with the most though is the speed that I eat - You know when you are sitting with people at a table and all having lunch, and everyone finishes and you are the last one to finish (by farrrr). I feel a little uncomfortable, so I end up eating a lot faster so that I can finish fast.

I have had a few things get lodged in the band - but nothing that has required vomiting. The few times that it has happened involved me having to sit up straight and breath deeply and just give it time for the food to make its way through the lumen.

This is something I really need to get sorted because I know it will do damage should this continue. I've tried the 20-20-20 rule, but to be honest, its a little exhausting having to count between mouthfulls, and the number of times I chew and the duration of my meal ON TOP of mentally deterring myself from messing up.

I know it is all a mental game. I let myself cheat once a week so that I don't feel deprived and end up sabotaging this whole procedure - but sometimes it is just a little exhausting (mentally).

In any case, I have booked my second fill for this Monday - I need to get my head right before then, because I am sure I will start to feel something, and last thing I need is to speed eat and cause a slippage.

This is something I really need to get sorted because I know it will do damage should this continue. I've tried the 20-20-20 rule, but to be honest, its a little exhausting having to count between mouthfulls, and the number of times I chew and the duration of my meal ON TOP of mentally deterring myself from messing up.

Try changing it slightly . . .my provider does a small morsel of food, chew well until its gone (aiming for around 30 seconds) then wait 30 seconds before eating the next mouthful. Eat for 20 mins max.

I have found that when you put the food into your mouth and chew, when you have finished chewing and swallowing, wait for a short period of time, then cut your next mouthful and get it onto your fork . . .by that time, the 30 seconds is almost up :) it slows down eating more cos you are only eating one mouthful a minute, but it is also more relaxed in terms of 30 seconds eat, 30 seconds chew. :)

I found my first fill sparked off my hunger and I did find during that time that I was eating more and more quickly. I had to have a 2nd fill 2 weeks later, and that has really helped. That was 7 weeks ago and I was booked for another fill this week but had to cancel, but try giving the 30-30-20 a go . . .its a bit more relaxed which can also help if you're out.

Don't feel pressured into eating more quickly with other people, you'd be better off leaving it if you didn't want to hold them up than hurrying it down :)

i have my op on the 29th XD im sooo excited. i start my pre-op milk diet monday. dont know how ill cope... not with the lack of food but starting to drink "eat" more often as i currently eat once a day twice if im lucky.

how have you found eating smaller amounts more often??

Thank you for your note top-kat. I'll try your suggestion and be a little more relaxed with 30-30-20. I just need to be more aware of what I am doing. Sometimes I am so busy - I don't even think about the repercussions of forgetting that I have had surgery, and I HAVE TO change my ways.

I guess it is about being more conscious rather than passive while eating.

The fill is booked for 5pm on Monday - I dont know how much I will get this time around, but I hope it helps keeping my head in check!

i have my op on the 29th XD im sooo excited. i start my pre-op milk diet monday. dont know how ill cope... not with the lack of food but starting to drink "eat" more often as i currently eat once a day twice if im lucky.

how have you found eating smaller amounts more often??
@Chunkymunky - Its great news that you are having your surgery before the new year! Its a great way to start fresh :)
Focus on getting through Xmas and once that tiny hurdle is over, you get to focus on you. I actually did not have to do a milk diet (every provider has their own ways), I was assigned an 800 calorie diet for 2 weeks pre-op. The first few days will be torture - but you will soon realize how much free time you have because you no longer think about food anymore.
I was amazed at how liberating it was to not think about food 24/7 - so dont worry - you will see results with the milk diet, and it will motivate you even more to stick to it.

As for me - I really dont have time to prepare a few meals for the day - if any at all. I usually just have coffee with 30g of bran flakes for breaki, I have something from my work's cafeteria for lunch (usually the menu has something with chicken/fish/baked potato), and for dinner I usually have no more than 5 crackers with ham or a slice of cheese.
You can see that I dont really prepare my meals - but I try and make the right choices AND count calories.
My dietician strictly wants me to have 3 meals a day and nothing in between to avoid getting into the habit of grazing. That has worked well for me so far

S xx

Yesterday I went for my second band fill. I had my first fill 10 days ago - and it did nothing for me - absolutely nothing. I had 2.6ml from surgery, I had 1.2 ml added to that during my first fill, taking it to 3.8mls, and yesterday the nurse added one more ml taking me to 4.8mls. I think the majority of the food I have been eating has not had the right texture, so I am actively trying to eat crunchier harder foods, and I must say that I do feel full after a small meal. I don't know if I feel restriction or not - but I am not so hungry today. I guess I will be able to tell more in the next few days...

But I have to tell you all that although the first fill was a 2 minute procedure - yesterday's fill took 45 minutes. The port had moved due to weight loss, and it was slightly tilted - it took 5 tries - and in all honesty at one point I felt the nurse fishing around under my skin with the needle to find the port site of injection. OMG - I felt soooo nauseous and felt like I was going to pass out. I felt really bad for the nurse because I think I was making her nervous... but she tried getting to the port while I was lying down... then we tried while standing, then lying to the side, and in the end she had to go in at an angle and managed to anchor it. It was TRAUMATIZING. I practically ran out of the room as soon as she was done LOL!
In any case, I might book a third fill between xmas and nye. Fingers crossed this does not happen again :'(

Im so sorry to hear that your fill wasn't great . . .my first one was difficult and I was a pin cushion by the time she had finished LOL and I was like you, being able to feel the needle moving around against things inside . . .its an awful strange feeling thats for sure!

Still . . .at least its there and in . . .hopefully moving forward when you can be back on "normal" foods you will be able to find things that help you crunchier wise. Have you given the 30-30-20 a go instead of the 20-20-20?

I really found that my 2nd fill eating wise made a big difference compared to the first, I had to cancel my one I was having last week due to an injured knee and not being able to drive . . .it just varies so much from one moment to another about what and how much I can eat . . .

It can be quite hard to get used to that pattern of knowing when one is due . . .Im intending tho, to have my 3rd in january which will then be 3 months since my 2nd fill . . .

How much do you have in your band right now? It is pretty amazing that it has served well for two whole months! I do feel satisfied with less right now, but I must admit that I measure out my portions so that I dont allow myself to go overboard... so in the end I dont know what is helping most, but I think the combination keeps me on track.

As for the crunchier food... my daily eating regime includes:
Breaki - skinny latte with 30g bran flakes (I used to soak the bran flakes in the coffee... an old habit of mine, but now I eat them on the side to maintain their crunchiness)
Lunch - grilled pork/chicken with half a sweet potato and 2 roasted onions
Dinner - 3 cream crackers with 1 light laughing cow cheese

What are your thoughts on my eating plan? Would you change or recommend anything?

I have tried the 30-30-30 and its working a lot better for me - I have become more conscious while I'm eating, so I have not wolfed food down over the last few days.

Last edited:
Back