• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New bander.... on Thursday!

How are you Gemby? Have you got all your bits and pieces in to start the diet Monday? I'm packed and ready (except still haven't got pyjamas) trip to asda this week will hopefully sort that. Are you getting excited? X

Hello =) Feeling a bit better today so just need to stay well for the next couple of weeks. I've picked up a few bits. Got my new jim-jams and slippers but not much else for the hospital bit yet. My fridge is full of milk and mullerlights so ready to get going on Monday. Getting quite excited and limbering up to get on the rollercoaster =D How are you getting on??? x

Fine thanks chick, feeling much better now. Glad to hear you ok. Horrible getting a cold and feeling all yucky, isn't it?
on day 6 now, and all is ok, but I'm eating food so I can't moan much :)
I was back at work Friday and felt a bit hungry while watching everyone eat big sandwiches, crisps and chocolate! I looked at my teeny tiny salad with little motivation, but I tell you what drinking so much water has really improved my skin and and hair, I honestly think half the time I mistakenly took thirst for hunger, now I get so thirsty and recognise it. Bizarre!
Still waiting for my hospital pack and date to go for Pre-op tests, think i should get them next week after I've paid. Soooo very excited. :) :) :) x

Hello everyone,

Apologies for being silent over the past few days - I have spend the first few days post-op on the couch, and did not manage to get much liquid down. I think I just had a few teas with milk, and some pouring yoghurt - but since yesterday (post-op day 3) my appetite is back, and have been able to move around a lot easier. My sister has come to stay with me for the weekend and keeps joking around about having to take me out for walks..(like a little pet)... but the reality is that it is a priority. My doctor has been really supportive, and he makes sure to email me from time to time to tell me to keep walking as much as I can and to slowly wean myself off the painkillers.
I know tomorrow is only post-op day 4, but I do plan on going back into work for least for half a day. I will also probably go back to the gym tomorrow and just spend a little time on the treadmill walking at a decent pace.

I must say, I have felt very bloated over the last few days. I dont know if this is normal, but I am hoping that subsides soon.

To date.... I have lost approximately 6 kgs (1 stone) since I began the pre-op diet which is not too bad... but I hope I get to lose more before I hit the one month mark - another 12 days to go!

The body is a funny thing. It amazes me how fast I have recovered. I managed to sleep perfectly well yesterday, and managed to sleep on my side most of the time. The shoulder pain is still there, and I am aware of it when my painkillers wear out, but it is definitely not as intense as the first day, and is actually quite bearable. The abdominal pain is also still lingering, but it just feels like I was bruised, rather than operated on. It just amazes me that our body can fix itself so fast - it is like it recruits little soldiers of the immune system - and gets them to act fast to fix the damage.

I changed my dressings yesterday and took a look at the scars, and my doctor did a fantastic job - they are small little incisions - the skin has been glued together flawlessly. I have had cuts that have been stitched, and the scars are quite prominent, but these wee cuts seem okay. I think the largest incision does not span more than 2cm which is great. If my little fat rolls decrease in size, maybe the scars will too :)

Anyways... thats all to report for now...

I hope all of you that are on the pre-op diet are not finding it too hard.. the light at the end of the tunnel is realllllll close.

S xx

Hi slothey, lovely to hear you are well on the way to recovery, how did your day go today, did you go out for a walk or on the treadmill? I'm like that, get bored really easily and think of loads of things I could be doing. I should be as thin as a rake as I never sit :)
Keep us posted on your progress as gives us Pre-oppers an insight of what to expect when on the losers side! X

I'm so impressed with your motivation! One thing I'm going to need to work on is being more active as I've gotten used to being very sedentary. I want to get a cross-trainer for home until I have the confidence to go swimming or to the gym.

Really pleased to hear how well you're recovering. First day on pre-op diet for me today, all good so far but early days =:)

@SAS1 - we are similar in that the more I stay at home on the couch, the more bored I get... and it drives me nuts. I did take a walk today, and since it was not raining, I walked outside in the nice fresh air. I will definitely go to try out the treadmill tomorrow. While my friend is spinning for 45 mins, I will be hanging out on the treadmill listening to 'eye of the tiger' hahaha.

I received my protein shakes today. A few people recommend Weiders's Body Shaper low calorie protein shakes. Each 250ml can has approximately 25 grams of protein, and is only 150 calories. So... from today I will be having 2 cans a day, and will make up the rest of my protein intake with fruit smoothies that contain frozen fruit, skimmed milk and skimmed milk powder (to increase the protein content).

@Gembi28 - It takes a lot of motivation to go routinely to the gym, but... my advice for you is to pick a class you enjoy. I tried spinning - and I knew that it was going to be 45 minutes of hell - but if I manage to do that, I would burn more than 500 calories in those 45 mins than I would in an hour jogging on the treadmill. So.. you just have to trick yourself to go... and once you are in the class, there is no leaving, and I promise you.. once the class is over you will love yourself for doing it.

Exercise is a huge aspect of the band - my body responds to exercise way more than just caloric restriction, so it would be optimal to take both approaches (which is why I did the band and not the bypass). For me, the point of getting the band is so that I can re-establish my relationship with food. So that all the bad habits I have had can be un-learned. The bypass is a more efficient and fast way of losing weight, but the psychological re-learning aspect is not as efficient as the band. Its just a personal preference.

The pre-op diet for me was torture for the first few days, but let your body adapt. It will do so quickly, and the sensation of hunger will die out. On thing I do to avoid cheating is to tell myself the following things every morning:

1) Just say no to everything - from the cookies at work, the small muffin in the kitchen, the 'oh just give it a wee try it wont affect your diet' crap from friends.. dont even think about it... and just say no

2) we all deserve to look good... and I see no reason why I should do this to myself... it is all in my hands now (especially given that I have had the surgery done)

3) The cliche phrase - my body is a temple

4) I will do this.... (not I 'can' or 'hope to' or any other vague description)... I WILL

5) Kate Moss' famous saying is 'nothing tastes as good as thin feels'... just make sure to keep that at the back of your mind.

So keep pushing through the cravings, and come out on top :D

S xx

hi maggie

Hi slothey good luck for Thursday, I got banded last Thursday and feeling ok apart from pesky wind pain lol x

hi maggie
how are you getting on
i go on sunday 14th,
butterflies are creeping in
been on the pre op and lost 7th in week
hope you have time to reply
do you work

kay [ glascote ]

what have you been taking for wind ?

Hiya SAS1 - thanks for asking :)
I only went in for half a day - I spent most of it standing because I find it a little uncomfortable to sit down - it is as if I can feel the wee port under my skin - but I dont know if that is really it or whether it is just bruising.

How are you getting along? How is the pre-op diet going for you? Are you on real food or milk diet?

Best wishes,

S x

SAS1 said:
That's what I want to know too, I'm a zumba freak and at the moment can't do it as just had a knee op, but feeling the withdrawal symptoms now. I suppose after the op it there will be a period of time for the internal stitches to heal also, maybe someone else can let us know. I love my classes, miserable without them!!! X

Slothey & Sas1 I've been advised not to exercise for the first 4 weeks after banding. I'm having mine on 23rd oct so I'm not talking from experience I asked about it at my consultation.

hi everyone
time is ticking down for my op sunday 14th
dreading it
butterlies floating around
have to be there for 7am so hope dont have to wait to long

good luck everyone

kay xx

@JoanneW - you are right about the exercise - I have been advised the same as you, so no exercise for 4 weeks, and no weights for 6 weeks! That is a pretty long time, but when the time comes, we should be geared up big time to work our asses out! Boot camp it is! hehe!

@misselvis - dont get too anxious about your surgery. I know it is only natural to get nervous, but the way I like to think about it is this: If I consider myself to be the average person in the world... chances are, things will go fine - nothing bad will happen, and nothing extraordinary will happen. Mediocrity is okay - only in times where the average person is okay (such as surgeries). It is a weird way of thinking about it... but it helps me sometimes.
Sunday will come and go in a flash, and you will be spending some time at home recovering quickly.
I did my surgery 1 week yesterday, and I am feeling great! Besides the odd wind pain, you would never guess that I had surgery last week.
Also, do not worry about being on liquids for 2 weeks - if you plan your menu for 2 weeks, you wont even have to think about food, or even toy with the idea of cheating... so its all up from here! Best of luck and let us know how it goes. So... chin up! It will all be okay in the end... and if it not okay... it is not yet the end :D

It will be 2 weeks post op this thursday, and it will mark the end of the liquid stage!! Off to mushy I go... but I must say, I have enjoyed the protein shakes.

I have a scheduled appointment with the dietician and doctor on the 5th of November - which makes it a 4 week post-op checkup. I don't know what to expect exactly. I think one of the things they will do is decide when I should have my first fill - fingers crossed they decide on one sooner than later.

Besides that - I have lost 9kgs in total since I started the pre-op diet. The scales have not moved in 4 days, but I must persevere!

S xx

I'm having a horrible day at work - and I feel like jumping in a swimming pool and screaming at the top of my lungs.

I'm just fed up of everything..

Thanks for your message SAS1. I stupidly went back to work 5 days post op - and there appears to have been a lot of drama while I was away. I hate two things - drama and negativity, and my boss fosters both those things in everyone. Its just horrible.

Rant over....

Good news though... today is 2 weeks post op!
I weighed myself this morning and I have lost a total of 10kgs (22lbs) since the beginning of the pre-op diet! I actually don't know what the norm is at this stage, but I hope I am on the right track :D

Hope everyone else is doing well and shedding away

S xx

Wow, that's amazing, you have done really well. What sort of things are you eating, to give me an idea!
I know what you mean about the boss, mine is ok but finds things beneath him. I resent it sometimes as I like to keep the peace and he plays on that a bit too much! My last day tomorrow, off for 2 weeks for the op... Can't wait but can already see the stacks of work and emails to return to
Hope you have a better day tomorrow hon, don't forget you are a winner and you should be proud of yourself, no matter what faces you x

Is your surgery on Tuesday? You are almost there! It is a very veryyyyy exciting time! :D I think it is great that you managed to get 2 weeks off. The first day is tough, but I promise you that it is a speedy recovery - by day 5 you will feel practically normal, and by 2 weeks, you would have forgotten the fact that you had surgery! How have you found the pre-op diet? What are your thoughts on the quantities you have had to endure on the pre-op diet? Although it is tough.. it is a good way to get used to the quantities you will be having for 2 weeks post-op.

As for my personal post-op eating plan, the first 2 days were spent sipping on loads of milky tea/coffee, protein shakes, and water. After that, my apetite started coming back, so I added runny soups, pouring yoghurts and very milky smoothies. The best way to get something liquidy enough is just to add water or milk. One of the tricks my dietitian told me about is to add 4 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder to a pint of skimmed milk so that I can increase the amount of protein I was consuming per meal. I used that 'enriched' milk for everything - smoothies, tea/coffee, mixed in with yoghurt etc...

Since I went to work very soon after the surgery, I had to make my life a lot easier - so I relied a lot on watered down soups and protein shakes. The specific protein shake I drank was widely recommended on this site - it is called Weider Body Shaper - Chocolate flavour. Each 250mls is ~150 calories and contains 25g of protein. My dietitian told me to aim to get in over 60g of protein per day, so I usually had 3 cans of protein shake (which could get expensive) and a soup in the evening. Given that you will be at home, you should try and make use of the 'enriched' milk recipe to make most of your meals out of it.

Besides that, don't forget to take your daily multivitamin!

As for work.. you can forget about it for the next two weeks and just focus on yourself. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to post a msg. I am more than happy to help.

We have lots to look forward to in the near future! :D:D:D

S xx

Back