• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Here! 8 weeks after op - not sure if i am doing it all right!

ZombieBex

Hi All

Had my surgery 20th June and has a hell of a journey before and after - Im hoping to connect with people who actually know what going through this is like - silly i know the professionals have seen it all had years of training and experience but hey they haven't had there inside rewired (Thats how i describe it :D )

I apologise for my spelling and grammer - im dyslexic and spell checkers great but sometimes i get it soooo wrong even it cant fathom what i am trying to say

Name is Rebecca, im 33 and basically had become almost unable to walk due to arthritus well... everywhere, unable to walk far, exercise or do much of anything added with very bad eating habits i reached my all time heavyist and was in constant pain and rattled from the pills i was taking.

im already off all the pills and able to walk (still need my stick but small steps)

I dont know what i was expecting weight loss wise after the op - and dont get me wrong i am thrilled with it all so far - but i was told on adverage 7lb a week for first 3 months and i simply am no where near that. Im worried im over eating even thought i struggle to eat hardly anything!

With the pre op and the 8 weeks since i have gone from (And this is the first time besides medical staff and my family iv admitted this) 28 stone to 23 stone 10. Maybe i was being unrealistic but 8 weeks on from the sugery i was expecting this to be a little more.

Im not experiancing any hunger at all - sometimes i feel gurgly and a little empty but i wouldnt ever call it hungry and i am setting alarms on my phone to remind me to eat because one day i was so busy and when i stopped to look at the time it was 5pm and i hadnt eaten or even thought about food!

Iv only just started to fell "normal" I was very very low and depressed after the op - my partner of close to 4 years left me a week before the op and he felt the responsibility of being there for me after the ope and not being able to go out all weekend every weekend was too much and he would resent me!

I am constantly tired and lathargic - trying to complete 10k steps a day (yay fitbit) and want to start swimming again and maybe even start to do yoga but some days i am still so low and sleepy i can barely get dressed

Anyway enough for now - i hope i havnt rambled on too much

:)

Bex

Hi All

Had my surgery 20th June and has a hell of a journey before and after - Im hoping to connect with people who actually know what going through this is like - silly i know the professionals have seen it all had years of training and experience but hey they haven't had there inside rewired (Thats how i describe it :D )

I apologise for my spelling and grammer - im dyslexic and spell checkers great but sometimes i get it soooo wrong even it cant fathom what i am trying to say

Name is Rebecca, im 33 and basically had become almost unable to walk due to arthritus well... everywhere, unable to walk far, exercise or do much of anything added with very bad eating habits i reached my all time heavyist and was in constant pain and rattled from the pills i was taking.

im already off all the pills and able to walk (still need my stick but small steps)

I dont know what i was expecting weight loss wise after the op - and dont get me wrong i am thrilled with it all so far - but i was told on adverage 7lb a week for first 3 months and i simply am no where near that. Im worried im over eating even thought i struggle to eat hardly anything!

With the pre op and the 8 weeks since i have gone from (And this is the first time besides medical staff and my family iv admitted this) 28 stone to 23 stone 10. Maybe i was being unrealistic but 8 weeks on from the sugery i was expecting this to be a little more.

Im not experiancing any hunger at all - sometimes i feel gurgly and a little empty but i wouldnt ever call it hungry and i am setting alarms on my phone to remind me to eat because one day i was so busy and when i stopped to look at the time it was 5pm and i hadnt eaten or even thought about food!

Iv only just started to fell "normal" I was very very low and depressed after the op - my partner of close to 4 years left me a week before the op and he felt the responsibility of being there for me after the ope and not being able to go out all weekend every weekend was too much and he would resent me!

I am constantly tired and lathargic - trying to complete 10k steps a day (yay fitbit) and want to start swimming again and maybe even start to do yoga but some days i am still so low and sleepy i can barely get dressed

Anyway enough for now - i hope i havnt rambled on too much

:)

Bex

Hi Bex, welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on being off your tablets and able to walk better. That's a fantastic achievement. :)

Crikey 7lbs a week for the first 3 months. I don't think that's realistic from what I've read on here. Certainly some people have big losses in the very early stages and I did lose 15lbs in one week but that was once the swelling started to settle down. It totally depends on the individual and none of us should compare our losses to the next person. So many factors that make a difference. If we stick to the rules, the weight will come off. If we start having unrealistic targets, we think we've failed when we don't achieve them, actually forgetting the fact that we've lost X amount of stone following a major operation. It's not easy this weight loss lark but it's our own journey and we'll get there when we get there.

You've lost over 4 stone in what, 10 weeks? That is amazing, don't forget that. Have you checked with your team about exercise? I thinks that's very early to be doing that many steps, considering you're hardly eating a thing. You have been through a major op. After mine, I initially felt on a high, then tiredness set in. I had 10 weeks off work and then 4 weeks phased return cause I was so tired. I'm only 18 weeks post op and still a bit tired now. I've only just started doing a bit of exercise too. You might have healed on the outside by the insides take longer so try no to overdo anything.

Sorry to hear about your partner, bit sh*tty of him. He'll miss out of the new you so his loss.......chin up hun.

Take care :)

Hey Bex
I don't post much on here but when I read your post I identified. What you need to do is pat yourself on the back for all the things you've achieved! You're like me- want things to change NOW, and everything to be perfect NOW, and if not we feel like we've failed. You're doing brilliant and its so true that ex of yours will be gutted when not only your new body starts to appear but the whole new you emerges- and that will happen just you wait and see! Meantime, one step at a time and every step forward needs to be celebrated xxx

hey bex well done on getting to where you are now having a major op AND a break up all at the same time ,it goes to show we are like tea bags only gets stronger !
I too question the 10k steps so soon after major surgery but I guess you know how far you can push yourself but its still early days
just take care of yourself

I manage 4-5k approx on normal days the 10k i reach once or twice a week - and thats all daily total i couldnt walk that in one go! I was told at week 8 to start excersising and that walking was the best thing

I cant get over the tiredness and general feeling of suckyness!

Hi Bex!

You've come this far. Keep doing what you've been told to do and you will see results. Those who may have bigger losses earlier on may well slow down much more as time goes on, whereas for others it'll be more even. Fret not. It'll come off. It's still really early days although I know the whole process from that first request for an appointment probably feels like an age lol.

Your ex obviously doesn't deserve you if he couldn't hack the hard times, thus he doesn't get to enjoy the good times that are around the corner. But YOU will :) So call on the family and friends that love you and let them support you. That's what they're for. And we're all here for you too of course xxx

Hi Bex,
Your results are amazing I can't wait to be losing too.

I have a newbie question how long was the process from GP referral to surgery?

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job. On top of going through a very difficult time with your partner leaving you have gone from being immobile to walking and living with less pain and committing to a change of lifestyle with all the walking. It's very important that you celebrate your non scale victories as well as just the weight. It's about all the things you can do now that you couldn't before. The weight is falling off you and you certainly didn't need your previous partner to have dragged you down or made your feel bad about trying to change your life xx

Hello, your loss is amazing! I was down from 22 and half stones to18-2 on op day last December. I'm now 14-2 so only a 4 stones loss in over 8 months. Hardly anything since I hit 6 months..
Very well done and all the best love xx

Bex you are doing so well, you should be proud of yourself.

Now I'm going to give you the best bit of advice you will ever get with regards to the weight loss. We all lose at different rates, some stall then suddenly lose a lot, there is no rhyme or reason to it so.......

Forget the scales. If you must weigh yourself then do it at Boots chemist once a month and keep the print outs. Get a tape measure and measure. I promise on those weeks when you think your stalling you will be losing inches.

Measure monthly and weigh monthly....

Bex you are doing so well, you should be proud of yourself. Now I'm going to give you the best bit of advice you will ever get with regards to the weight loss. We all lose at different rates, some stall then suddenly lose a lot, there is no rhyme or reason to it so....... Forget the scales. If you must weigh yourself then do it at Boots chemist once a month and keep the print outs. Get a tape measure and measure. I promise on those weeks when you think your stalling you will be losing inches. Measure monthly and weigh monthly....

How right you are Bonita :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

ty guys - just having a hard time - had someone i thought was a friend say to someone who IS my friend that i looks just as fat as i did before the op = it hurt tbh

I bet it did hurt, what a horrible thing to say, are you sure they are not slightly jealous because they know that in the not too distant future you are going to be skinny, is this person overweight themselves by any chance?.

No they are painfully painfully skinny, always moaning about no matter how much she eats she never get any fatter and poke out there "tummy" to show how fat she is

Back