• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here and desperate!

Daisyhappy!

Hi everyone, I'm not new to diets, I must have lost about 15 stones in my lifetime with loss and gains.
I'm just under 19 stone, 23 and utterly fed up. I need to take charge, I need something drastic. I never thought I'd consider surgery but I'm a new mam and I want to feel confident. My weight is effecting my social life and relationship. I originally was interested in the bypass but the hospital group said my bmi isn't high enough so I'm hoping to get every bit of info possible about the band, all experiences good and bad. So hi all, wish me luck!

Good luck. Make sure you try everything else first though love. This really isn't an easy quick fix. If someone had told me that I'd need to resort to surgery 25 years ago I might have made better choices and not let it get this bad. x

Hi Daisy, honey. Welcome to this fabulous forum. We are here to support you in your struggle & we have lots of pre op'ers who are still dieting. I had my bypass last Monday & am doing fine, but if this option is not for you then we will help you any way we can. What is your BMI, where do you live, what is your PCT's criteria, how tall are you? This is all info that would be helpful to us to be able to advise you more. Good Luck, sweetheart xxx :)

No, I haven't had anything yet, waiting for my bypass. I'm just saying you're very young, make sure you do your research. I kinow how you feel though,I have been big since I was 20. I just alway ate what I wanted when I wanted it,then my weight went out of control in my 30's and obesity related health problems started in my 40's. i wish I'd just tried harder before i got so out of control. Good luck to you though. It's never easy, with or without wls.

I'm in Ireland, I'm going private so could probably beg for the bypass but now that I've gotten used to the band idea the bypass seems a bit invasive to me, I'm a big scaredy cat. I just need to lose this weight! From all my googling today it seems the band isn't always succsesful :/ that's scary!

Yep people with a band can cheat as they dont dump on sweet stuff and can melt chocolate and drink it.Not all bypassers dump either so sweet and fatty stuff can still be eaten!No surgery will completly change the way you eat.

Like Maz said, if you want to cheat you'll find a way. Just take your time, there's no rush for you to do it. Find what's right for you. x

I can't see myself spending all that money just to go against everything I'm told to do, also I'm not a big sweet eater. I just love food, dinners etc. I wish I was better informed about it all, will creep around here and try learn more. Seems to be a lot more bypassers than banders!

Hi Daisy ... as the others have quite rightly said ... it is a really big decision, and not an easy option, as some people that don't have the condition we all suffer with, believe.

There are many people on this forum that can give you really good advise ... listen to what they say ... and take the bits you want to take and leave the rest. (That perhaps should be a bit of advise I ought to take with my food intake!!!!).

Seriously, when I joined the forum I didn't know whether to go for the band or the bypass, and yet when I asked the question on this forum, the answers I received helped me to make the biggest decision of my life. The people on here asked me questions that my consultants had failed to do. Once I had the info from my peers on here, I knew what was relevant for me.

You will make the right decision for you, I have no doubt.

Take care ... and good luck.

xxx

I can't see myself spending all that money just to go against everything I'm told to do, also I'm not a big sweet eater. I just love food, dinners etc. I wish I was better informed about it all, will creep around here and try learn more. Seems to be a lot more bypassers than banders!

Famous last words
There are a few people on here who said the same only to find that they do get fed up with not being able to eat chocolate, crisps, biscuits etc..
Then they feel guilty that they have spent all that money and still can't lose weight.

Research as much as you can and ask as many questions that you need to.

No question is stupid only worrying about them is

Hiya...I went private and was banded last Tuesday! You need to follow the diet sheets religiously to make it work since as others have said you will find a way of still eating those naughty but nice food stuffs. This is a tool to control portion size, as I see it. as you will get full ultimately on a small amount so be ready to accept no more platefuls!!! I intend to work bloody hard at this for next 6 months with no treats...! Quicker I get to optimum weight I can then reward myself in a small way, if by then I'm still desperate for a small taste of luxury! This is about working together with my band, my nutrionist and my head (ultimately) but it's no magic cure xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hello, I had my band fitted in Feb, weighing 19 stone 3lbs. Iam now 14 and a half stone and feel great!
The band defo has it's pro's and con's. You still really have to work at it, willpower is still needed.
What I personally like about the band is....I haven't had anything permanatly changed in my body, so I could have it removed if I wanted to, I can still eat normal food and therefore don't feel deprived around other people eating, the weightloss is slow and steady, so if you haven't told people about your wls then they wouldn't guess, and I don't have to worry about dumping.
What is not so great about the band....you can still eat rubbish if you want to. However, when you have spent 6 grand having wls, you want to make the best of it.
I log my food everyday on my fitness pal to keep track of my calories, for me that helps.
Really good luck with your descion, wls is a big step but thousands of us do it and don't regret for a moment xxx

Welcome and good luck on which ever u choose ;)

Dumping is not experienced by banders (phew).. It's from high sugar or fat intake which causes body to react...fever type sweating, passing out style symptoms, vomit etc...horrid!!

Back