• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New on the forum

felicity49

Hello everyone! I'm seriously considering a gastric band, so this seems the ideal place to get other people's opinions. I've got about 5 stone to lose, but after three decades of dieting... etc, etc........ I can't stand being this weight any more. I don't like to go out or buy clothes for myself. What's the point. Having read some of the posts though, it seems that you have to be a certain weight to go through surgery. I realise that I would never get it on the NHS, but is this true of private companies? Any feedback would be wonderful please!

Hello and welcome,

I think if your paying, 5 stones is enough for them to agree to surgery. There are people on here who have gone private with less than that to lose.
Keep looking around and check out there stats on the left.

Kim

Hi Filicity49
welcome
I had about 5st, its 4 now,
i seen the consultant yesterday and i'm having my band fitted may 3rd, cant wait, as like you, really fed up with being this size,
go for it, i dont think you'll have any trouble, xx :)

Thanks for that girls - and good luck with your surgery lullaby! I think I'll have to make an appointment to have a chat with someone. Do you have to go through your doctor, or can you contact a clinic directly? If so, which one???? There seem to be so many out there!

Hi felicity 5 stone is enough too get band surgery ,you don't need to go through a doctor do your research online and on here etc I'm going with the hospital group which I know a lot of people on here have used and if your going private like myself things will move along very fast xx

why swop ops

why have u gone for the bend and not retry bypass, wish id had bypass, band still need willpower i dont have any , hope all goes well x jackie

Hi jackie - I'm still considering every option, but the bypass seems so final - I'm not sure I'm comfortable with cutting out part of my stomach. I kinda like the idea that I can have a procedure which can be reversed. So many decision.....!!!

Hi There

im 7 days post surgery - gastric band - best thing ive ever done!...already lost 18lbs in 3 weeks (2 weeks were for the pre op milk diet).

Got it done on the NHS too...at St Richards Hospital in Chichester....

You need to check your local area pct (primary care trust) to see what their requirements are for a gastric band. Each one is different.

Heres the guidlines on the NHS page...
Weight loss surgery - Who can use it? - NHS Choices

I definitely won't be eligible for funding - 15st 2/BMI 34.7 - especially in these financially troubled times. Whatever I decide, it'll have to be self financed - I'll sell the kids!

Band is the best thing I ever did. It's not an easy fix. But if you work with it you can be really successful. You have to be prepared to change ... It's a lifestyle choice! Like you though I did not want anything as invasive/final as a bypass. Welcome and if you have any questions whatsoever, don't be afraid to ask! There are lots of us happy to share our experiences ... Both positive and negative :)

Hello everyone! I'm seriously considering a gastric band, so this seems the ideal place to get other people's opinions. I've got about 5 stone to lose, but after three decades of dieting... etc, etc........ I can't stand being this weight any more. I don't like to go out or buy clothes for myself. What's the point. Having read some of the posts though, it seems that you have to be a certain weight to go through surgery. I realise that I would never get it on the NHS, but is this true of private companies? Any feedback would be wonderful please!
hi felicity
I also only have 5 stone 2 lose and im having gastric bypass surgery on the 2nd june :) I have gone with Mr Sufi at Spire Bushey ( private ) and i dont have serious health issues only minor !! He told me i would benefit health wise in the long run..... good luck with your journey xxx

Back