• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie walsall manor

xk1rstyx

Im at the very beginning of my journey and reading all the great threads on here and the support you give each other has made me decide to start my own.

i have been referrered to walsall manor bariatrics team and im under mr murza. My 1st appointmen is not untill 25th september. Iv been told iv been accepted and qualify for surgery on the nhs. Now i have to see the team and attend a group meeting before i get a surgery date.

Im prepared for this to be a very lenghty process but the end goal is worth it.

im hoping that people who have had or are waiting for surgery on the nhs will share their experiences with me.

Especially those at walsall manor like me. All comments, support and sharing your experiences with me will be much appreciated.

Ask me any questions if you want more info didnt want to bombard you all with my life story in my first post haha.

kirsty x

Hello and welcome

Thanks for the welcome

Welcome it's strange how things are different in different areas !! I have to do a year weight management before moving to tier 4 then maybe surgery all odd but congratulations and good luck ? x

Good Luck Hun x

Hi Kirsty, welcome to the forum. I had a bypass 8 weeks ago and all is good so far. :) Good luck with your journey :)

Hi BFB i see your also in the midlands did you have you op at walsall could u tell me a little about your journey.
Thanks to all the others who replied too x

Can anyone shed some light on tier 3 for me. I can prove what iv done over the last 9 years with weight watchers and slimming world records sent from their head office. Doctors records of prescription meds. How iv always been over weight and fluctuated over the years. Would any of this count.

Hi Kirsty
I had sleeve op at Walsall manor 8 weeks ago., Mr Mirza was involved in my treatment but my main consultant was Mr A khan. I have had a very long journey which originally started in the private sector with Mr A Khan unfortunately due to complications my op was stopped during it and then I had to start again on the nhs route.(I had a massive hernia) I did have to do a weight management programme with waist lines prior to being ok'd for nhs treatment (I was refused twice before this) so it took 3 years in total from paying privately to 8 weeks ago. The rules have changed since I started my journey, so they might take slimming clubs into account now, but they didn't use my slimming world weight loss record. I have no other underlying health conditions that speed up the process, I have asthma but as this isn't improved by weight loss so that didn't help. I went through the process from my first appt (this time around) in May 2014 to having the op 15/4/15 I could have had the op slightly earlier in Feb but put it off as my son got married on valentines day. The op went very well I wasn't too impressed with my stay on the ward afterwards particularly being offered food lol but I was only in 36 hours so not too bad. I've been really well since and the hospital has rang to check I'm ok. I have also seen MrA Khan last week for follow up and don't need to go again for 3 months . Despite my long long journey and all the obstacles that have been put in my way, I do not for one moment regret it and if I had to I would do it all again.
I hope this helps Kim x

Hello Hun, good luck with your journey and best wishes!
Ali x

Hi kimw thanks for reply its nice to talk to someone whos local and at the same hospital. Iv been referred by my gp last month. I spoke to the surgical secretary and she gave me my appointment for 25th september where hopefully i meet the whole team apart from phsyc doc. She said iv been accepted and qualify for surgery on the nhs and that my funding is already there so need for them to apply. Wouldnt give me a time frame for the journey jus said i will av the first appointment then group meeting and then see phsyc then aneasatist. And may be set a a weight loss goal to meet during this process. Iv also spoken to gp and they said anyone they have referred have always been successful and that i may be looking at 6 months or less for surgery. I dont really know what to believe or expect i jus that its not too long till op but i know the wait will be worth it. Jus cant wait to start my new life and become a better, healthier version of myself x

My appointment is all i can think about and its so far away im going to drive myself insane lol

Hi BFB i see your also in the midlands did you have you op at walsall could u tell me a little about your journey.
Thanks to all the others who replied too x

Hi Kirsty, sorry, just seen this. I'm in Shropshire and had my op at Shrewsbury. I see someone has replied about Walsall :) The time, for me anyway, went really quick. I know I was very lucky to have quite a short journey. I got referred middle of September last year and had my op middle of April, so about 7 months. I could have had it 3 weeks earlier but I opted for a slight delay so I could prepare as much as I could, mostly to get my head around it. It really is worth the wait, I feel great. The waiting for some is hard but I used the time well and basically got my life in order. I'd been overweight for many years so I didn't want to rush it at the end, I wanted to make sure it was the right thing for me and to really understand what it all meant. I was so ready to change and I know it's early days but everything is going well, I'm sticking to what they say, and I'm actually looking after myself. Honestly, your appointment will come around and you'll say, where's that last 3 months gone?!!! :)

Hi Kirsty, sorry, just seen this. I'm in Shropshire and had my op at Shrewsbury. I see someone has replied about Walsall :) The time, for me anyway, went really quick. I know I was very lucky to have quite a short journey. I got referred middle of September last year and had my op middle of April, so about 7 months. I could have had it 3 weeks earlier but I opted for a slight delay so I could prepare as much as I could, mostly to get my head around it. It really is worth the wait, I feel great. The waiting for some is hard but I used the time well and basically got my life in order. I'd been overweight for many years so I didn't want to rush it at the end, I wanted to make sure it was the right thing for me and to really understand what it all meant. I was so ready to change and I know it's early days but everything is going well, I'm sticking to what they say, and I'm actually looking after myself. Honestly, your appointment will come around and you'll say, where's that last 3 months gone?!!! :)

Hi BFB my gp has said it could b as quick as 6 months less if im lucky. I hope he's right. Iv researched loads and have decided to go for the sleeve i think its the best option for me. When you had you referal from gp what department was it to x

Hi BFB my gp has said it could b as quick as 6 months less if im lucky. I hope he's right. Iv researched loads and have decided to go for the sleeve i think its the best option for me. When you had you referal from gp what department was it to x

Fingers crossed he is right, that would be great. :) I think the referral went straight to the bariatric team. I had my first consultation about a month after my referral was sent so pretty efficient :) x

Fingers crossed he is right, that would be great. :) I think the referral went straight to the bariatric team. I had my first consultation about a month after my referral was sent so pretty efficient :) x

My referral was to bariatric surgical team as well. All thos who have had to do tier 3 from what i can gather were not referred to bariatrice but to weight so im hoping this means im straight to the surgery stage. My appointment is 3 months after referal but i was told wouldnt b till after xmas so september is still quick x

I just think different places do it differently I watched my doctor put it down for surgery and Luton and Dunstable changed it to teir three very annoying but she said the are lots of hoops to complete! Hopefully I will prove my co morbiditys and they will speed up the process but if not a year is not so bad however I am confused as I can and do diet loose weight but then it will go on again?? So if I loose weight doesn't that mean I will be less likely to get the surgery?? That is the only thing that confuses me.

Theres 2 hospitals i could choose from so i called them both and spoke to the bariatric nurse the one was not helpful or friendly at all and said id have to do 2 years weight managment with them and jus didnt seem to want to talk to me. Then the nurse from walsall was lovely and took time to have a good talk with me and i told her a brief history and she was confident id be successful at the hospital so i chose to go there. Different hospitals do seem to operate differently tho x

I think they all have different rules, I was in a strange position as I live in staffordshire so had to go through their weight management system prior to referral to Walsall Manor. The baratric team at the Manor are really helpful and it was the nearest hospital to me, so I didn't research any where else. X

Back