• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie walsall manor

I think they all have different rules, I was in a strange position as I live in staffordshire so had to go through their weight management system prior to referral to Walsall Manor. The baratric team at the Manor are really helpful and it was the nearest hospital to me, so I didn't research any where else. X

How long from your first appontnent at manor till your op and how many appointments did you have and what did it all involve if you dont mind explaing a little to me x

I first went in May 2014 to mr khan then I had to have an endoscopy due to my hernia that was summer then another appt sept to see mr khan and dietician then oct for seminar with dietician etc November I saw physiciolgist then first op date jan 2015 which I cancelled due to son getting married second op date 15th April when I had my sleeve app. At the same time I was seeing the staffordshire weight management team waistlines every 6 weeks. Hope this helps

Kirsty
Prior to this I was already in the system and had been for 3 years due to failed private surgery with mr khan due to my very large hernia so this was my timescale this time around it all depends on whether you have any illnesses and what your BMI is I don't think there is a standard timescale it's tailored to the individual
However if you choose to go private it's weeks when I did it that way it was 3 weeks from first thinking about to the operation
Kim. X

I first went in May 2014 to mr khan then I had to have an endoscopy due to my hernia that was summer then another appt sept to see mr khan and dietician then oct for seminar with dietician etc November I saw physiciolgist then first op date jan 2015 which I cancelled due to son getting married second op date 15th April when I had my sleeve app. At the same time I was seeing the staffordshire weight management team waistlines every 6 weeks. Hope this helps

That sound like a gd time frame, like u say i suppose its different for each person. Iv got a holiday to look forward to the 1st of august im gna try focus on that to stop my self going crazy waiting for september 25th to come lol. Least after my hol wont b such a long wait. What was your bmi hun x

Hi
My Bmi was 50 at the start which Is why I was glad staffordshire took me on as they had a minimum BMI of 52 with comorbidities so I tried to maintain 50 as I didn't have any health issues, luckily they changed the threshold so I was ok. I think it's now on a individual basis. Good luck on your journey x Kim

Hi
My Bmi was 50 at the start which Is why I was glad staffordshire took me on as they had a minimum BMI of 52 with comorbidities so I tried to maintain 50 as I didn't have any health issues, luckily they changed the threshold so I was ok. I think it's now on a individual basis. Good luck on your journey x Kim

My bmi is 40.6 and iv been told to just maintain that for now so gna try stay same till 1st appointment thn hopefully they will give a target to loose. Im actually really excited about the pre op milk diet stange aint i lol x

I am another Walsall Manor graduate! I had my first appointment in late January 2015. Sleeve OP was first listed for 13/5, moved to 20/5 and finally done on 10th June - 5 days ago. I was admitted at 0700, surgery at 0930 and discharged at 3pm the next day. It seem like an agonising wait at the time - but now I think it was super quick - funny how brain changes recollections - good luck with your journey Kirsty x

I am another Walsall Manor graduate! I had my first appointment in late January 2015. Sleeve OP was first listed for 13/5, moved to 20/5 and finally done on 10th June - 5 days ago. I was admitted at 0700, surgery at 0930 and discharged at 3pm the next day. It seem like an agonising wait at the time - but now I think it was super quick - funny how brain changes recollections - good luck with your journey Kirsty x

Wow so about 5 months start to finish for you at walsall thats great to here. How are you gettin on post of with food or liquids and in general. Have u had a peak at the scales yet x

That's an incredible turnaround and I thought the wheels of the NHS moved slow!!

That's an incredible turnaround and I thought the wheels of the NHS moved slow!!

From what iv learned all hospitals have different time scales and different hoops to jump through. I think iv dropped lucky being with a hospital that has a gd turn around. Bring on september, my journey to a new me x

I was in tier 3 for 2 years though with monthly visits to fat doctor, dietician and psychiatrist. They set a weight loss target. Did tests etc before referring me to tier 4 - the hospital. So the last bit was quick but in all my GP referred me to tier 3 in May 2012 so all together it took 3 years. Had my BMI been over 50 or I had diabetes it would have been quicker x

My referral was to bariatric surgical team as well. All thos who have had to do tier 3 from what i can gather were not referred to bariatrice but to weight so im hoping this means im straight to the surgery stage. My appointment is 3 months after referal but i was told wouldnt b till after xmas so september is still quick x

I don't think they do Tier 3 in this area. But then I'd done Why Weight prior to even considering surgery, plus every other diet going. I'd kept all my old SW, WW etc diet books and did a a time line of my weight for the last 20 years, partly out of interest to me and partly so I could prove that I had tried everything to lose weight! The time really flies, it may seem a long way away, but before you know it, boom, it's here! :)

Where are you BFB? My tier 3 was called 'healthier weight' - I went to the Swan at Yardley Birmingham for it but the my had about 15 sites dotted around Bham etc x

Where are you BFB? My tier 3 was called 'healthier weight' - I went to the Swan at Yardley Birmingham for it but the my had about 15 sites dotted around Bham etc x

I'm in Shropshire Debs. There was a weight programme called Why Weight but anyone could go to it, and it wasn't a pre-op requirement. They lost the funding about March last year and the guy I used to see said that something new was starting but only those with a BMI of 40 and under. They just referred me back to my GP but I went it alone for a few months. There seems to be a new thing called Healthy Lifestyle Hub, with health trainers who signpost to other people. My practice nurse has referred me, although I just rang up and booked, I don't think it's a formal referral. I'm going next week and they can refer me for exercise on referral. At least I don't drink and smoke otherwise I might find myself being referred for them too :D

It's funny how every area is different, both with pre-op requirements and post-op advice. :) x

So true - sometime I struggle to believe we've had the same op the advice is so different - good luck x

I was in tier 3 for 2 years though with monthly visits to fat doctor, dietician and psychiatrist. They set a weight loss target. Did tests etc before referring me to tier 4 - the hospital. So the last bit was quick but in all my GP referred me to tier 3 in May 2012 so all together it took 3 years. Had my BMI been over 50 or I had diabetes it would have been quicker x

Hi debs iv got gp records for medication and weight loss support since 2009 she he knows iv done everything possible so maybe thats y he sent me straight to tier 4. I suppose theres still a chance hospital could make me do tier 3 but from what they av told me so far i think it will jus b a 5% weight loss target. So hopefully iv skipped all the waiting n got straight to the quick part. How you feelin now debs x

I think the main difference is the new NICE guidance. When I was referred in 2012 funding was all but impossible for BMI 41 with insufficient relevant co-morbidities. It all changed as I said which mean I could get to tier 4 unhindered.

When at hospital the dietician saw me once. She said had I been directly referred she would have set a weight loss target before approval etc.

I was just to early but I have no regrets it's all done and dusted now and it gave me plenty of time to think it all through and really consider what life with a tummy that was 20% of its normal size would be like. As I use food as an emotional crutch I also needed to work out how I would comfort myself after the op if it was no longer food I could talk to. I know depression can be a common post op issue. So I am happy it's changed now for others but content with how my journey went :) xx

I think the main difference is the new NICE guidance. When I was referred in 2012 funding was all but impossible for BMI 41 with insufficient relevant co-morbidities. It all changed as I said which mean I could get to tier 4 unhindered.

When at hospital the dietician saw me once. She said had I been directly referred she would have set a weight loss target before approval etc.

I was just to early but I have no regrets it's all done and dusted now and it gave me plenty of time to think it all through and really consider what life with a tummy that was 20% of its normal size would be like. As I use food as an emotional crutch I also needed to work out how I would comfort myself after the op if it was no longer food I could talk to. I know depression can be a common post op issue. So I am happy it's changed now for others but content with how my journey went :) xx

The important thing is you got the surgery and are now on an amazing journey.
Is it right we can't av alcohol for a year x

I haven't asked it in person - but as you saw it was on their written advice in the booklet.

I have the ore pre booklet and post op as a PDF happy to send them you if you private messGe me your email :)

I haven't asked it in person - but as you saw it was on their written advice in the booklet.

I have the ore pre booklet and post op as a PDF happy to send them you if you private messGe me your email :)

Thanks will do that now xx

Back