• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie and nervous

cathyem

Hi everyone. I've yet to make an appointment with my GP for wls. I think I'm eligible and I want to do this but I'm scared.

Hi cathyem, your feelings are perfectly normal! What op would you be thinking of having? You have to make sure it's what you really want because WLS is for life. Some ops are more drastic than others but they all require a lifestyle change.
What is scaring you the most?

xx

Thanks Sashie1977. I'm thinking of a gastric band. I'm 45 with the same BMI. I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis which means I can't do a lot of exercise. I've struggled with my weight forever and am scared of the op and of failing. Xx

Don't be nervous... Make that first step.. It will be the journey to a better you weight and health wise...all the best, you can do it..x

talk to people, research and learn, be honest with yourself and the people around you and you will be fine! we are all on the same path together with the ups and downs and this forum is completely awesome for support and a laugh! Welcome xxx

Be aware that some NHS hospitals no longer do bands - when your referral is done and you get your choice of hospitals find out if the hospital does do the band

I remember when I first started researching WLS. It made me feel nervous and sicky every time I thought about it for months before I even shared the fact that I had considered it a possible option with anyone.

For me it was the fact that I'd have the fight of my life and making sure I felt ready and could commit. It didn't get any better after I consulted my GP or spoke to my husband (both of whom were incredible supportive). I was soooo worried and so unsure and so excited all at the same time.

Right up to op day I felt the same. I ultimately went private as I was being steered towards bypass because of my BMI and had originally thought band, band or band!! After lots of research and several info evenings (NHS and private) I settled on a sleeve as being the right choice for me....................not for everyone of course.

If you weren't worried or nervous at this juncture, I'd be more concerned. Go for it! Open up the discussions and go from there. I doubt you'll regret it!

Best of luck. xxx

Thanks so much everyone, you're exactly what I need! Took another step today. Called my GP and explained I'd reached the point where I think WLS is my only option. Apparently the PCT that I come under don't do bands only gastric bypass. After a struggle he asked me to get bloods done, get myself weighed by a nurse and if I still feel the same in a couple of weeks he'll refer me. Go me!!

Hi im Claire ....I started my journey last Wednesday with a appointment with my Gp .....she was great and said "today was the 1st day of the rest of my life" ....I don't know how long it will take to hear from hospital ...I hope its soon im excited but very nervous ....good luck Claire

I think two weeks is the norm, but it can take up to 8 weeks before you feel 'normal' again, as it is major surgery! I am sure plenty of people on here will tell you how long you might need - of course, it depends what job you do - stuntgirl might be out the question for a while! x

Damn, you've guessed what I do!! ? I work part time in a local office so hopefully 2 weeks would be enough. I've been reading a load of threads and the advice will be invaluable xx

I'm a bandit not a bypasser, but I had my op last Tuesday and all being well I'm planning on returning to work next Monday, just under a fortnight post-op.

I'm doing ok ta. The most pain I've had has been from constipation. I've taken my dressings off today so I may find my clothes irritate things, and I do get very tired very quickly, but I really think I should be ok by Monday.

Back