• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

Yay I've finally said goodbye to the 17's! Weighed myself this morning after finally having a bit of a clear out (sorry if TMI!) and I'm now 16st13!

I think my bowel movements are the issue as going not even once a week now so think I might need to sort something to keep me regular.

Not long to go now and I'll be be back to eating normally. I just have to keep reminding myself to chew things for longer as that was something I was bad at I chew something a couple of times before i swallowed it.

Hope everyone's run up to Christmas is going well?

Yay I've finally said goodbye to the 17's! Weighed myself this morning after finally having a bit of a clear out (sorry if TMI!) and I'm now 16st13!

I think my bowel movements are the issue as going not even once a week now so think I might need to sort something to keep me regular.

Not long to go now and I'll be be back to eating normally. I just have to keep reminding myself to chew things for longer as that was something I was bad at I chew something a couple of times before i swallowed it.

Hope everyone's run up to Christmas is going well?
Fantastic Chill that is my next goal
I am as regular as clockwork
Taste buds are not active but enjoying bits and pieces
Keep it up

Has anyone seen their team for follow up yet? Saw my surgeon last week and had my 6 week check with bariatric nurse, dietician and physio today.
They are pleased but think I need to eat more (not sure I can!). But tell me I've lost 30% of excess body weight which surprised me! Back again in 6 weeks.

Has anyone seen their team for follow up yet? Saw my surgeon last week and had my 6 week check with bariatric nurse, dietician and physio today.
They are pleased but think I need to eat more (not sure I can!). But tell me I've lost 30% of excess body weight which surprised me! Back again in 6 weeks.
I do not think I will see my surgeon again he is very distant
Seen his nurse at 3 weeks and again at 9 weeks
Dietitian in February
Just glad to have the opportunity and the bypass is the works lol all replumbed

Saw my surgeon last week. Pleased with my loss. Also about 30% down @MrsN. We're all doing well. But found out the pain I've been having is not the surgery but probably gallstones. Just another good reason to be extra careful about what I eat. I'm not going to make a BMI of 35 by Xmas. But probably by New Year :)

Have a a good one everyone!!!

Saw my surgeon last week. Pleased with my loss. Also about 30% down @MrsN. We're all doing well. But found out the pain I've been having is not the surgery but probably gallstones. Just another good reason to be extra careful about what I eat. I'm not going to make a BMI of 35 by Xmas. But probably by New Year :)

How do you get Sleeved and then get bypassed ? as your stomach is presumably removed

Hi Maggy, could I ask about the reason you had the By-Pass after your sleeve op? I have a sleeve and because of problems am looking at the By-Pass. Thanks Pam

Hi Pam, Jeff, physically its straightforward, they use the reaidual stomach from the sleeve and do a normal bypass.
Pam, the reasons were mainly that the sleeve just never quite worked for me as it should have. Partly the sleeve itself was on the large size. Of course it was smaller than my original stomach but each surgeon does it differently and my first one made sleeves a bit on the larger side. But it wasn't all the surgeon's fault. By any means. A lot of the failure was down to me. I hadn't taken seriously the need to change my habits and learn new ones. I thought the sleeve would do it all for me. And it did for the first month or two but then I started eating in my old ways. Too much sugar and fat. Mmmm donuts and chocolate! And so I went from 17 stone 7 down to 13 Stone 8 and then back up to 15. Donuts and chocolate! My decisions to go with the bypass we're little different to the reasons going for the sleeve - better health, longer life, looking more like the me I feel inside. The difference is that I know this time that I have a limited window in which to lose the weight AND change my relationship with food. I know also that the bypass gives me both restriction and malabsorption so should give me a better weight loss result anyway. And so far it really has! I'm losing weight more consistently and more rapidly than I did with the sleeve even though I'm starting from a lower weight. I'm now at 13 stone 3 just five weeks out. My taste buds seem to have changed (I want good food) which didn't happen with the sleeve. Everyone is different but for me the bypass was the right way to go. It might have been better to have a bypass in the first place but I was scared to go with it as it seemed too extreme to me then. It doesn't now. And there's no point having regrets. Better to go forward positively. The one downside with the rapid weight loss is that it is causing some gallbladder issues. But I can deal with those. A bit of a long post but I hope it's helpful. What were you problems with the sleeve?

Hi Pam, Jeff, physically its straightforward, they use the reaidual stomach from the sleeve and do a normal bypass.
Pam, the reasons were mainly that the sleeve just never quite worked for me as it should have. Partly the sleeve itself was on the large size. Of course it was smaller than my original stomach but each surgeon does it differently and my first one made sleeves a bit on the larger side. But it wasn't all the surgeon's fault. By any means. A lot of the failure was down to me. I hadn't taken seriously the need to change my habits and learn new ones. I thought the sleeve would do it all for me. And it did for the first month or two but then I started eating in my old ways. Too much sugar and fat. Mmmm donuts and chocolate! And so I went from 17 stone 7 down to 13 Stone 8 and then back up to 15. Donuts and chocolate! My decisions to go with the bypass we're little different to the reasons going for the sleeve - better health, longer life, looking more like the me I feel inside. The difference is that I know this time that I have a limited window in which to lose the weight AND change my relationship with food. I know also that the bypass gives me both restriction and malabsorption so should give me a better weight loss result anyway. And so far it really has! I'm losing weight more consistently and more rapidly than I did with the sleeve even though I'm starting from a lower weight. I'm now at 13 stone 3 just five weeks out. My taste buds seem to have changed (I want good food) which didn't happen with the sleeve. Everyone is different but for me the bypass was the right way to go. It might have been better to have a bypass in the first place but I was scared to go with it as it seemed too extreme to me then. It doesn't now. And there's no point having regrets. Better to go forward positively. The one downside with the rapid weight loss is that it is causing some gallbladder issues. But I can deal with those. A bit of a long post but I hope it's helpful. What were you problems with the sleeve?
Thank you for your comprehensive answer and it is a most interesting story ... wishing you all the best with your bypass and every success in the future ..

@maggy thanks for sharing your story, I went for the sleeve as like you I thought a bypass was a bit extreme. But also my aim is to be at a weight I can donate a kidney to my son when he needs it and a bypass may hamper that.

Did you not suffer with dumping after sugary things? I am too scared to try too much chocolate, I must admit I have had the odd celebration that has been around but I had an after eight the other day and it made me feel a bit odd.

I do like my sweet things and nas jelly I my saviour for that thankfully!

Thanks for your reply. I had problems drinking and eating from day one. I have had 9 Endoscopies and a number of laparoscopies, plus I had a feeding tube for 18 months.
The cause has now been found to be damage to my Vagus nerve probably during the original operation. I have continued to have trouble getting nutrician and have lost a lot of weight. I have tried medication to help with the Gastroparesis but it remains the same. A By-pass has now been suggested.
I am really glad that it's now working for you and clearly you are in a good mindset now. Well done on your weight loss and I wish you good luck in the coming new year.
I will be interested to see how your journey continues and send you all good wishes.

Thanks for your reply. I had problems drinking and eating from day one. I have had 9 Endoscopies and a number of laparoscopies, plus I had a feeding tube for 18 months.
The cause has now been found to be damage to my Vagus nerve probably during the original operation. I have continued to have trouble getting nutrician and have lost a lot of weight. I have tried medication to help with the Gastroparesis but it remains the same. A By-pass has now been suggested.
I am really glad that it's now working for you and clearly you are in a good mindset now. Well done on your weight loss and I wish you good luck in the coming new year.
I will be interested to see how your journey continues and send you all good wishes.
Another amazing story and I hope that you are finally diagnosed and sorted out ... I feel so lucky and want to make the most of this opportunity ...
Wishing you a merry Christmas

Merry Christmas guys

Merry Christmas everyone :) x

How did everyone's Christmas Day go?
I had a lovely day!
For breakfast I had half a muscle food low fat pork sausage, a bacon rasher (all fat removed) and some beans. I left some of it.

For Christmas dinner I had small piece of turkey, tiny piece of ham, one roast, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I ate it in two parts. I tried about 4 sips of scrumpy cider and decided against it. I did well as normally I'd have had so much crap to eat as well as a massive 3 course dinner.

I had a lovely day too thanks, had a small bit of turkey, 1/2 potato, 1/2 parsnip 1 sprout 1/3 chipolata a bit of bacon and a bit of stuffing. Kids and hubby still find it funny how little I have but I only just managed it all.

I bumped into someone I hadn't seen for over a year today but I'm friends with on Facebook who will have seen photos from the summer but i rarely put pics of myself up and she said I was looking well and looked like I'd lost loads of weight! I told her I'd had surgery and she said she'd thought about it, I told her to go for it!

I treated myself to a new ring from Pandora today as the one I had been wearing was getting way too loose.

Just got home from my 1st swim since the op and in ages! I felt so much fitter thank the last time I went and managed 60 lengths. Bought a month pass for the pool so going to try and swim 2 or 3 times a week hopefully as am off to Tobago in just over 4 weeks and would like to need to buy a new dress for my friends wedding as have found one in my wardrobe that I have never worn but fits me just right now but would love to think it'll be too big for me in a months time!

Back