• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T Alternatives to comfort eating

Neen

WLS Moderator
I am having a wobbly week emotionally and have had a few days of eating over my usual limit. Not bingeing like the old days as of course that's physically not possible (in my case) but certainly going off my planned foods and having extra sweet stuff and comfort food a little.
I have my Dad and his wife visiting , actually going back today to Scotland after not having seen them for 6 years. Also my boys have had their first week back at school and a whole new timetable, plus I am no longer collecting them so cannot directly help if things happen on the way home . They are both autistic and last term collecting them from school was a nightmare most days. (attacking drivers they didn't like, each other , me etc)
I have a fill next week after 8/9 months of not being able to get to hospital to top up , mainly kid related issues again.
What I wondered was does anyone have any tried and tested techniques for calming without resorting to food.
I am seeing a counsellor but not frequently enough to have the effect from her visit last til the next. I do have hypnosis and meditation stuff I listen to daily which I enjoy.
Just wondered also who suffers from Agrophobia like me and what plans have you got for getting back out there?
I have agreed with my OH that when I reach 18stone we are all off to Stourhead (lovely National Trust place) as I haven't been for ages.
The last time I went I was near my heaviest of 25 stone and could barely walk for a week as all the skin basically disintegrated between my thighs.
This time I will be a lot lighter in jeans , rather than a skirt. I still get panicky though.
What is good for calming the nerves and not turning to the old foods to self medicate for you folks?

Hi Neen

Although not always practical but a bath with no one anywhere near the bathroom, lights out candles on and a lush smelly thing in do it for me x

Hi Neen,
Your post struck a cord with me as I have a daughter who is 15 and has autisim and epilepsy, life is'nt easy is it! I am having a bypass in November, but have started to cut down in preparation for that. The whole comfort eating thing is a huge issue ...... I do as much exercise as I can (I am disabled)..... listen to music and when all else fails go into the middle of no where and scream as loud as I can!!!

You are doing so well, you should be very proud of yourself

Deb

Hi Deb, It's hard when you feel trapped by circumstances or physical difficulties to find an effective appropriate way to vent at all. I am trying really hard at the moment not to crumble and go munch a load of rubbish . I spose we just have to ride out the uncomfortable feelings. If I'm able to get enough time alone I play games (nerdy moments:) ) I used to love dancing so I might try and get back to it (draw the curtains and boogie a bit).
PMT usually causes havoc with weight loss for me as well as I still get the cravings and it amplifies my usual neurotics as well lol.
I hope you are doing good and coping OK as you wait for your OP. It will soon go by I'm sure, though it seems like the day won't ever come. Love to you and your daughter x

Aw Neen sorry your dad has gone back to my neck of the woods but i hope the visit went well after a gap of 6 years. It is hard not to be picking up your boys but hopefully as time goes own you will feel more reassured about that one. I like a bath too but i also wait till i'm on my own and sit and watch a film on the true movie channel its great for clearing out the emotions lol. Hope you feel better soon and remember come on here if temptation sets in there is always someone around to distract you x

Thanks very much Allie xx Yeah they live on the black Isle in a village called Avoch. A looong way from Dorset hey? My Grandma was a scot and married a Dorset man and Dad enjoys life up there. It was brilliant to see them again and the kids were actually brilliant all week and really good at school so far. Aside from a few problems on the way home on a couple occasions this week it's gone better than I hoped.
I went and listened to some hypnosis, a new one I got yesterday, and it's quite good I think. Hoping that I can get back on track today. Even if I don't lose , I hope that I can get focused and have a good stretch of loss and behaving myself till Halloween (usually we do a party) . I was watching Penelope yesterday which is a lovely movie if you're as soppy as I am :)
Thanks for your support Allie x

The Black Isle is a beautiful place i've been up that way a lot my mum lives on the Isle of Lewis which is not a million miles away from the Black Isle unlike Dorset. So glad the kids have settled back into schools our kids up here went back mid August. Haven't seen Penelope will need to look out for it. They don't come much soppier than me lol. x

As for the comfort eating (sweet stuff), I've stopped buying it and if the kids (teenages) want chocci/sweets they have them while they're out. If it is'nt there I can't eat it lol. I spend hours down with my horse and shetland because its so peaceful and relaxing and by the time i get home I'm absolutely kn*ckered lol.Maybe just sitting in your garden when the kids are at school will relax you. Even if you have to put your coat on the fresh air works wonders for you.
Good luckxx

Back