• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

October bandsters

Oh man, I'm in a bit of pain. I think I might've strained something around my port as it hurts a lot in that area. So uncomfortable I haven't felt like eating since early afternoon. Hurts most when I'm sitting up straight but is better when I'm reclining or standing. Is this normal?? Should I be worried? I wonder if I've over-done it as I did a bit of packing earlier (am moving house on Thursday). I don't think it's a problem with my band because it specifically hurts where I think my port should be. Could I have done any damage?

Probably being daft but just feeling a bit worried...

Oh no, the patient line said there is nowhere in the whole city available for me to get my staples out!!! Just phoned my surgery and the practice nurse doesn't do them and had a moan to them why they only faxed over my details yesterday when they had them over a week ago!!!
Apparently my only option is to go to a walk in centre on Thursday and wait. Not a happy bunny :(

Hi all. My band op went very well and all is healing nicely. I have the usual trapped wind but plumbing is all in order and I have managed No2 after 3 days of liquid diet. Today is day 5 post-op and my abdomen is quite sore, feels like it's pulling, like I've done too many sit-ups. My main worry is my left shoulder which hurts like hell when I breath in sharply. I'm using Ibuprofen Heat gel which eases it for about an hour. I can sleep on that side fine but when I wake up, the pains starts. Could I have been wrenched while under anaesthesia?
Oh, and anyone got a really tasty drink I can have on liquid diet?

Gemby - sounds like you've overdone it love. I had something similar, was feeling good so did housework and shopping etc and I ended up in agony. Try to take it easy today and good luck with the move tomorrow and don't lift anything!!! X

Sharon - that sucks :( here's a suggestion... I used to absolutely hate my GP when I moved 5 years ago or so. When I needed to see a doc I would go to the walk in centre or hospital's walk in centre which is 24h. I ended up going in the middle of the night so there is no queue :p could you go at a stupid hour like that? It would give the bored doc or nurse on call something to do :) X

Lucretia - congrats on your op :) hope you have a speedy recovery. That pain in your shoulder sounds like trapped wind pain and it's very common. Try hot water bottle, liquid paracetamol and something like Windeze or Rennie deflatine. peppermint tea or cordial or oil (a couple of drops in a glass of water) would help too. What helps most is passing wind :p and be mobile, take walks, go up and down the stairs and get someone to pat your back!

The tastiest drink I had shortly after post op was weightwatchers hot choc :) it would help with your protein intake if you make it with hot milk. I still have it daily because i cant find another way to consume milk and it's only 40 calories! X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yay congratulations! Welcome to the losers bench :)
I felt exactly like you, it's all very normal. Pain eases everyday, try pottering around every few hours and gently swing your arms. I also used a hot water bottle to ease pain.
Get well soon, you'll be surprised how well you feel this time next week xxx

I cannot understand why your practice nurse does not take staples out mine does just made an appointment and took her the scissors the hospital gave me and she did it no problem she was very nice
Good luck and congratulations
Mark

She's crap! Nice person but crap!!! The first time I went to see her over my weight, I was 17st and started crying asking for her help. She stood on the scales after me and said look I'm 1 stone heavier than you, what you whining about, just lose weight if you are unhappy!!!
Never had any trust in her since. She didn't take my knee stitches out either, they were normal ones too. Don't know if she thinks its beneath her or if she isn't allowed to do it, but just doesn't! Only ever seen her do asthma reviews and flu jabs!

She must be allowed to do it surely? I'm only a student nurse and I'm allowed to take them out! Lol

Your incisions look so neat hon, mine are a mess! Can't really tell if it's skin or glue anymore... I'll try to attach a photo, these are the two large ones. The 3 small ones are much better and flat, almost healed. they all itch now though, sooo annoying, I want to scratch and pull the glue off but resisting the urge...

I'm good otherwise :) hope you are all doing well xxx

Attachments

• image-3103504644.jpg
    image-3103504644.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 36
The itching drives you mad doesn't it? I've just put plasters back on and god I want to claw them off already!
How's your mushies going today? I've been good, ate 2 eggs with mayo for breakfast and just had lentil soup. I can't seem to get anywhere near the protein amount needed.
Going to do a big shop tomorrow, once clips out (can't put seatbelt on in car at moment) feel like being stabbed by tiny daggers lol, do you have any tips for getting more protein hon? Xxx

I'm the same at the moment, really struggling with the protein intake. Supposed to have protein the size of my palm per meal (meaning 3 times a day!) but that's waaay to big and I'd be lucky if I finished that up in one day combined...

Adding skimmed milk powder to whatever I can, making at least one drink with all milk once a day (ie hot choc or coffee) and nibbling protein bars is all I can do, still not enough. I bought some protein bars but I don't think I'm ready for those yet, they are quite chewy... I take a nibble every now and then and chew for 10 minutes lol

Fish was a disaster, I pureed chicken last night (mild low fat chicken and mushroom curry) it went down well. Low fat corned beef is great, I had that once, really enjoyed it and bought some more. Also bought fish fingers, maybe they wont be as bad as the actual fish. And fishcakes but that's full of potato, I don't know...

I'm having cottage cheese every now and then, the low fat one with chives is quite tasty and goes well with everything. Also having a dollop of fat free yogurt with whatever I eat.

I'll have to give in to the protein shakes in the end it seems. I find those vile though... Hated the protein water also...

Good luck with the staple removals tomorrow. It'll be worth the wait, they look so neat and nicely healed :) better than my messy ones and I had an extra week of healing! xxx

I've had protein shakes, but think they are so high in cals, might mix with water as been using yogurt and milk. Where did you get the protein bars? I saw some on my protein. com, they sell beef jerky too but it looks so damn difficult too eat lol!

I'm just in the middle of downloading "now 90s dance" to do a bit of dancing around the house later when my dad picks up my son to go the match. :) done no exercise today yet, got to get my wobbly backside moving soon!!! :)

I just grabbed a couple of maximuscle diet bars from boots, choc&orange flavour. They were £2 each so I'm sure you can find them cheaper online! X

I found lavender lotion was very good to help my scares get better when i had band in and out used it and started on this time my mother in law got it think from boots

Last edited:
Tobi, those scars will practically disappear. I can hardly see mine and I didn't use anything on them. Wait till they are fully healed before putting any ointments or oils on though, otherwise you may irritate the wounds and they take longer to improve x

Thanks Michelle :) I didn't put anything on them so far, don't want to irritate anything and I don't even touch them without putting anti bacterial hand gel first, I'm paranoid about getting an infection!

Did you get glued too? How long do they actually take to fall off? They were absolutely fine then started to itch (i resisted the urge to claw my skin off) and I feel they are lightly pulling the skin around. Itching is a good sign of healing though so I'm not really worried, just curious... and itchy! xxx

Mine were glued. Took about three weeks for most of the glue to flake off ... And the scars were red and bumpy for a couple of month but then they just seemed to level out and go very faint. I had five, but now I cannot even see the three small ones and the two larger ones (smaller as I have lost weight ... Less than a cm) I can only see a very faint silvery/flesh coloured thin line. Blink and you would miss them :D

Back