• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op on thurs - so nervous!!!

wildthing

Hi All

well got to get to dolan Park by tomorrow afternoon for bloods ready for op on Thurs, reality sinking in now so nervous!!!
ps - How lond after op is it before you can have 1) A Bath 2) Horizontal activity ;-0 3) Alcohol!!!

good luck you will be fine! Are you having band or bypass?

answers to ur Q's 1) i would have showers until ur wounds have healed, and make sure you have water proof dressings.
2) when the pain subsides, and ur comfortable, dont think theres a set rule, just go easy!
3) they say after a yr with bypass, not sure on band. But lager too gassy, and alcohol has lots of calories, which will slow down ur weight loss.

Yes good luck for Thursday - you will be just fine and then you will have the beginning of the 'new you'!!! It's not often people get the chance to start afresh but we are all lucky because we get to start again and at the end of it feel proud at our achievement - take care and hugs with fairy dust to keep you safe x

God luck Wildthing - hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery x

Hi All

well got to get to dolan Park by tomorrow afternoon for bloods ready for op on Thurs, reality sinking in now so nervous!!!
ps - How lond after op is it before you can have 1) A Bath 2) Horizontal activity ;-0 3) Alcohol!!!

Hi,

Nerves come as standard! It will be over before you know it. I was a quivering wreck right up until I fell asleep on the table, but before I knew it - it was all over!

I had open bypass and my answers to your questions are:

1) A Bath
I didn't bathe until week 3 after op, though did shower! I came home without a dressing and was told to keep soap/shower gel off the wound and just run clean water over it then pat dry with a clean towel. This I did until the scar had scabbed over and healed.

2) Horizontal activity ;-0
Down to the individual I Think! As with late pregnancy, improvision may be required ;)

3) Alcohol
My hospital says no alcohol for a year, but I know some people do not adhere to this. Alcohol is sugar converted and some people dump. Fizzy/gassy drinks are also not advised for obvious reasons.

All the very best!

I agree 100% with FedUp & Red. Here were my personal experiences:

1. Bath - I had keyhole bypass and my dressings came off at 2 weeks. I had a bath a few days later (showered with my dressings on before that). Remember that getting in is easy but getting out may take assistance if you are weak/sore.

2. Horizontal activity :), about a week post-op for me and just kept it gental. You just have to 'feel' up to it.

3. Alcohol - all people are advised differently. I personally waited until about 10 weeks (X-Mas & New Years) for a small taste. Probably would have waited longer if it hadn't been the holidays. I still haven't had more than a glass and don't plan to for a bit more time. As the other ladies said, alcohol is full of useless calories, can dehydrate you very quickly and probably should be avoided until you are all healed and back on normal food (thus doctors saying 6 months-a year just to be safe).

HTH,
Nic:D

Best of luck Wildthing! It is a nerve wracking time but exciting too!

Good luck...me too... I go in tomorrow afternoon and have my open bypass on thursday...thinking of everyone!
I will be in York Hospital.....

Good luck Wildthing & Juni for thursday...x

Yikes, thank you all for your kind words, just think this time next week I well be a 'bander' and on the road to recovery, fingers crossed, will log on and let you all know how it went. Thanks again guys

Won't wish you luck as you won't need any luck, I will wish you a speedy recovery though and hope you don't have to suffer by going to long without any <<wink>> <<wink>>

Good luck...me too... I go in tomorrow afternoon and have my open bypass on thursday...thinking of everyone!
I will be in York Hospital.....
With be thinking of you too Juni - sure everything will go great for you hugs with fairy dust to keep you safe. Look forward to hearing you become a new you x

Good luck!!!

On the bath front... some tips they have given me are not to have a deep bath until a month past the op, but in the meantime I canhave shallow baths avoiding the wound getting in the water. They also suggested cling film around the tummy (frankly I just felt a bit kinky) or waterproof dressings from Boots.

Will be thinking of you Thursday. Don't worry about wobbling, think it's mandatory.

yoyo

good luck

Good luck with your op - speedy recovery xx

hi all

well got to get to dolan park by tomorrow afternoon for bloods ready for op on thurs, reality sinking in now so nervous!!!
Ps - how lond after op is it before you can have 1) a bath 2) horizontal activity ;-0 3) alcohol!!!

wont repeat the answers to your questions but will say good luck tomorrow :)

Back