• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why is trapped wind sooooooooo painful

moe

:wave_cry:eek:k here is the story so far of moe going for her gastric band, i went in on thurs 21st aug at dolan park in bromsgrove. i was told to check in by 7 am and eventually got to my room at 8 am i was told to shower and put the lovely sexy gown on, i then gave some blood which was a pretty painless experience, i was then left to my own devices in a comfortable room which backed onto an animal sanctuary with the noisest cockeral.

i was then informed that i was 4th on the list and could expect to go down at 1.00pm, so i read a couple of mags didnt feel very nervous and then a nurse came to get me at 12.00pm i was a little shocked as that was an hour early, i mentioned that i was worried about the general anesthetic as i had never had one before, but she just said they are great you will have a good sleep, i was then taken into theatre and they chatted and made me feel quite at ease and that is the last i can honestly remember.

i woke up in my room with a nurse offering me a very welcome drink through a straw, i can honestly say i was in no pain what so ever, i did sleep most of the day and then tried to move around in the evening to try and move this wind that becomes trapped.

they give you a peppermint tea to drink again to help with the trapped wind i did manage to drink this but was sick i was very worried about being sick because of my stitches, but they are still there and i felt instantly better for being sick.

i had a good nights sleep and woke in the morning in a bit of discomfort not from the operation but from this blessed wind.

be under no illusions they want you out as quick as you can, they woke me at 5.30 am and i was in the departure lounge for 6.30 am ready for discharge.

everyone was in the same boat we all looked like death warmed up and we all had trapped wind, i never new burrping could be so painful and yet such a relief.

i have just been at home a day i slept quite well and feel a lot better today i can feel the wind moving in the right or wrong direction.

if anyone has any questions about my experience so far i will do my honest best to answer them

all the best for all you anxious banders it really isnt as bad as you think

moe

Moe, get yourself some gripe water (available from the baby section of supermarkets) - it works an absolute treat for the trapped wind!!
Glad your op went well and great to hear another positive story x

hi moe its emma green from wales i was in hospital with you in bromgrove
glad to hear you are a little better
im suffering still

hi emma

the wind is so painful it takes my breath away, that has slowed down my mobility, i am desperate for a shower im sure i would feel better.

really nervous that i wont be fit and ready for school now, what have you been drinking i have had a slimfast for breakfast and half a can of soup for lunch, but im not sure whether im full or not, i get hunger pangs from about 11 untill 12 and i have just had my soup, god i hope this thing is in the right place!

good to hear from you do keep in contact its only been two days so maybe i am too impatient but i thought i would have felt a bit better today .

Moe, it took me till about day four to really feel like myself again - give it time and listen to your body and rest up while you can. Don,t push it with eating right now, just have a little soup or whatever, I found smoothies worked well for me but keep sip sip sipping at the water, tea or whatever - you need to make sure you take lots of fluid on board and then you wont feel hungry. Go get that gripe water, or windeze or anything really and that will help you feel much better more quickly too x

thanks ali cat sent hubby to tescos so far has come back with lemon tea instead of peppermint so he is now on a return journey, did you redress your wounds or did you leave them on for the month, i am a dreadful fiddler and now they wont stick back down so i am going to bathe them in hibi scrub and germolene and re dress them, that will be ok wont it?

moe

a month???? are you mad??? I would have gone bonkers if I had to have them on for that long!! I had my dressings changed the morning after the op at the hospital and think I lasted five days at home before I took them off!! My stitches and clips all came out on day 10. You should be fine, but do keep re-cover them for now as they won't yet be healed enough to manage without the dressings.

keep the hibiscub and germolene away they can break down new skin tissue and do more harm than good.Your wounds are sterile at the moment so you need to keep yr scars dry dont put anything on them other than a dry sterile dressing. You can go to yr local health centre and get the nurse to re-dress them may be best to phone for an appointment first.
Hope that helps
HC

thanks guys i never new that about germelene, still having trouble with trapped wind have been taking gripe water going to try and walk about a bit more today see it that will shift it thanks for all the advise i have lost 9lbs so far i think mostly gas

moe

hi moe
iam feeling xactly like you today. VERY down + thought i would be feeling bit better 2day both wind + scars hurting... I thought the same about the position of the band as i dont no if im hungry or full or just in pain.. very confussed at the mo. i have drunk peppermin tea, water, squash, cappuccino + slimfast. have you heard from hospital yet? i havent
take care

remember you've just had surgery, you are not going to be feeling fantastic and dancing around 3 days post-op! It takes time to recover, and you will go through a whole host of physical and mental feelings.

Give it time, drink plenty and try to move about regularly.

Hi Moe & Emma sorry to hear your not feeling great it does get better I got gripe water as Allie said and it does ease the trapped wind. Just do what you feel comfortable with and dont push yourselves too much and Im sure in a couple of days you will be feeling much better.
Take care and the people on here are so nice it does make you feel that you are not alone and with everyone been at different stages there is always someone to help out with advice on what your feeling. xx

THANX 4the support just makes me feel better hearing it. iv jst woke up i have spent most of the day resting in bed as i have had hardly any rest since op.. hoping i will feel better after this

shoulder pain post op

:confused:hi

thanks for all the kind messages for emma and myself, i do feel a bit better today but get tired very easily even though i am doing absoluteley nothing, wind is still the most uncomfortable thing i now have a pain in my shoulder (why would it be there) i do remember reading alog that some one else had this and it was still trapped wind, so i am still drinking the gripe water and peppermint tea i stink of deep heat and i have a heat pad on .

on the other hand i dont have any pain from my scars just a pulling sensation when i try to sleep on my side which makes me feel funny in the tummy, if anyone has any other suggestions for a painful shoulder i would be interested to hear from you

thanks moe

Hi Moe, the shoulder pain is an absolute bugger isn't it!! it is all from the gas they use in the op to gain access, and it will get better each day - I used to find it was worse at night. Keep up the gripe water, windeze or whatever you find is working for you. Livvy swore by heat pads to help her out but really all you can do is stick with it and wait for it to disperse - like you I found this far worse than anything from the scars, which didn't hurt at all! Just take it one day at a time hun and you will feel amazing in no time x

HC I had no wind pain whatsoever :) It doesn't affect everyone. I was the same, worried about excess pain etc but I was lucky!

Back