• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Orlistat

Sarahmaria

Just a question to all wls peeps - did any of you ever try orlistat? Its the only weight loss method that I havent properly tried (took one pill once then gave up - go me). Anyone have success with it? At the end of the day iv 100lb to lose and think wls is my only option but just want to make sure iv explored all avenues.

Thanks guys,

SM

Xx

Yep, I had orlistat - although many years ago when it was first out. Maybe 1999 ish. Did nothing for me at all. I also had Reductil (think it's now been withdrawn), but had dreadful leg swelling on them.

I am on Orlistat at the moment, not sure if it is helping me to lose weight, but it certainly lets you know when you have had too much fat in your diet. Be aware, it can be very embarassing if you do, by this I mean accidents from the rear end (tmi).

It encouraged me to eat rubbish as I was thinking oh great I can eat more and these will pull the fat out!! You spend a lot of time on the loo!!!

I was on it for a few months about 15 years ago. They warned what could happen if I cheated so that kept me on track but like nicola1723 said, orange greasy poo! It still came out of me despite being good. I think I was going to the gym too at that time and lost 2 or 3 stones but it wasn't really a long term solution.

I was administered it at my first hospital appointment! And it caused me to have an accident in Morrison's passed wind hAd to run to loo throw my knickers away there was fatty orange poo all over me ! I suppose its to help you control what you eat .i lost five pounds on it!

I was prescribed it and lost nothing over six months, I also had orange poo it's the fats from your body. Not nice it also made me feel queasiness all the time.

I lost over 1 stone on it...it was prescribed and it was awful...
You have to make sure you have spare underwear and clothing with you when out.
AND be careful not to pass wind...as you follow through..lol
Horrible horrible stuff :)

I was on it for 3 months before Christmas.

Its NASTY!!!! Its supposed to stop the body from absorbing so much fat from your foods, but it seemed to stop my body from absorbing ANY fat. The slightest bit of fat and I'd be running for the loo. No end of times I'd come out of the loo, turn round and go straight back in. I ended up only being able to eat vegetables. Literally.

And I didn't even lose any weight. Not a beano :(
Though you could very easily lose your dignity. As the others have pointed out.......

NASTY, NASTY, NASTY !!!!!!!!!!!

(NB. I'm not sure of the significance of this, it may have just been one particular part of the country, or even just one particular surgeon or something, but during my research of WLS recently I read that Orlistat should be tried as an option before resulting to surgery. Im afraid I cant remember where I read it, I just remember thinking "yep, tried it, so they can't refuse me surgery on those grounds" ........... just may be something you might like to look into in case it affects you being accepted for surgery).

Last edited:
What you read is correct, you have had to try everything that is available to loose weight, some places are more strict than others, it's just to prove that it's not a whim having surgery mine was prescribed so the Gp knew I'd tried it without success.

Good point Mouse - Mine was prescribed by the GP too, so they can confirm I tried it without success.

Had it a few times but really felt awful on it. I stuck to the rules, I'm not sure it made any difference in terms of weight loss, I had similar results on other diets. I just could never keep it off and always regained more than when I ruddy started hence ending up in a position of needing the sleeve.

Thanks guys! Lot of useful comments here. Yeah i dont think its worth going down the orlistat road really.

Thanks guys! Lot of useful comments here. Yeah i dont think its worth going down the orlistat road

Except it seems to be a common requirement to have tried it before being considered for surgery. I'm not being funny, but did you read through page 1 of this thread properly? ........

.........during my research of WLS recently I read that Orlistat should be tried as an option before resulting to surgery. Im afraid I cant remember where I read it, I just remember thinking "yep, tried it, so they can't refuse me surgery on those grounds" ........... just may be something you might like to look into in case it affects you being accepted for surgery.

And Mouse confirmed this:

What you read is correct, you have had to try everything that is available to loose weight, some places are more strict than others, it's just to prove that it's not a whim having surgery mine was prescribed so the Gp knew I'd tried it without success

And I read on here only today of someone having just been put on it for 3 months, so it does seem to be a road that needs to be gone down prior to being accepted for WLS.

I didn't get on with it at all, and I didn't even lose any weight, but I'm glad now that I've already done my 3 Orlistat months as its one less stumbling block between me & surgery!!

Except it seems to be a common requirement to have tried it before being considered for surgery. I'm not being funny, but did you read through page 1 of this thread properly? ........

And Mouse confirmed this:

And I read on here only today of someone having just been put on it for 3 months, so it does seem to be a road that needs to be gone down prior to being accepted for WLS.

I didn't get on with it at all, and I didn't even lose any weight, but I'm glad now that I've already done my 3 Orlistat months as its one less stumbling block between me & surgery!!

Thanks Bumpkin but im going privately so it wont matter if i do it or not.

Back