• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS

I am prescribed the vaniqua cream and spironolactone... nothing works!
I am bothered more by the hair than I am the weight, but I realise the two go hand in hand.

the ONLY woman?? Are you kidding?!!

I have loads more facial hair than my husband, that must be so hot :sigh:

I said the only woman "I know" lol.............i used to have more then my oh.......made me wonder who should be wearing the trousers:D.....am so glad I have the ipl laser treatment.........it feels very odd not having to shave any more after doing it for so many years.;)

isnt it awful that we all suffer but when its happening you think you are the only one x

i was refered to a dermatologist at the hospital but they wrote back to my gp and told her there was no point in seeing me as nothing could be done for pcos and beardies. surely some kind of hormone pill would help?

The hair also bothers me much more than the weight as it makes me feel uglier and so unfemanine. I worry that someone will knock on the door early before i have time to pluck !!! I remember having my first baby and having to stay overnight I didnt take tweezers or a razor i was so embarassed, so with babies 2 and 3 they were packed in my bag before babygro's lol xxx

my beard and tash is bad but the worst bit for me is my mutton chops, god it's aweful, isn't is such a cruel thing. not only do u feel bad because yr putting on weight at a rate, your (in my case) infertile and have more facial hair that wolverine. it's no wonder we feel bad enough to stuff our faces!

Hi
hope you dont mind me asking how much is lazer treatment and after a bypass does the hair growth carry on ?

The quote I got was £400 but I think you can get it cheaper, but that was 4-5 sessions, didn't mention it could poss be done in 1!

I am constantly being told that all the symptoms of PCOS are reduced by weightloss, so I hope hair is included in that, and I am reading more evidence that bypass is better for pcos than banding (which is awkward as I have booked banding).

I am just hoping to try it, and hopefully lose weight. If the weightloss works and I am still hairy I will have the lazer.

Rx

Hi
hope you dont mind me asking how much is lazer treatment and after a bypass does the hair growth carry on ?

Spironolactone is supposed to help, and any anti-androgen pill.

Just something to block the testosterone we have in excess.

There is an interesting article here: Anti-androgen drugs | Life and style | BMJ Group

Also there is a contraceptive pill with anti-androgens in but I can't have it cos of my high BMI :-(

Rx
interesting, thanks for the link. something to think about

the laser treatment is not cheap 120 a session, you only have a session every ten weeks as the hair growth grows in stages and takes ten weeks for new hair to reach the surface. I tried all different kind of birth control pills as well and the only thing they did for me was regulate my totm , did nothing to help woth pcos, just heavier and more prolonged bleeding , so my doc took me off them and vaniqua cream did nothing for me either using it 2 times a day for 3 years, as I have sed before this ipl laser was only thing that got rid of facial hair...........nothing even comes close tbh x x

The quote I got was £400 but I think you can get it cheaper, but that was 4-5 sessions, didn't mention it could poss be done in 1!

I am constantly being told that all the symptoms of PCOS are reduced by weightloss, so I hope hair is included in that, and I am reading more evidence that bypass is better for pcos than banding (which is awkward as I have booked banding).

I am just hoping to try it, and hopefully lose weight. If the weightloss works and I am still hairy I will have the lazer.

Rx

As I mentioned before it varies from person to person, what may take me in one session may take someone else 5 sessions...I know of 3 ppl that have had pcos for prolonged periods and had banding done and have lost weight really well..........

hi
hope you dont mind me joining in i'm on cambridge and although losing weight adapting diet etc etc in the past has helped with my insulin resistance and breaking the carb cycle it didn't really help with the hair in fact i think it made it worse
still no androgen blockers!
but looked better less chin to be hairy at least
i think metformin / spironolactone / cyprotone acetate
there is also a cream called vaniqua thats ment to be good - if not laser i guess

must say thought pcos seems to be less of a problem if your at a healthy bmi
sorry for the waffle hope it's some use
a endocrinologist is the person to see i think

would help if i could type faster !

metformin did nothing for my hair, helped me stay awake a bit longer after eating tho!

hi
hope you dont mind me joining in i'm on cambridge and although losing weight adapting diet etc etc in the past has helped with my insulin resistance and breaking the carb cycle it didn't really help with the hair in fact i think it made it worse
still no androgen blockers!
but looked better less chin to be hairy at least
i think metformin / spironolactone / cyprotone acetate
there is also a cream called vaniqua thats ment to be good - if not laser i guess

must say thought pcos seems to be less of a problem if your at a healthy bmi
sorry for the waffle hope it's some use
a endocrinologist is the person to see i think

I been under my endcrinologist since the beginning of the year, and tbh I am no closer to them trying to control my pcos at all. He was the one who referred me to other hosp for wls (banding or bypass I been told) so I shall see in due course (first appointment 24th Aug) for weight loss clinic. I tried vaniqua , metformin, birth control pills etc....and Nothing will help with facial hair only laser treatment, even if your pcos clears up 100 percent the cycle for the hair has already begun and will continue to grow for the rest of your life unless it is treated, once the hair grows thats it , as it is as natural bodies procedure........Not for us ladies I know , but its the only way I can explain it ! hope this makes sense....

All the best - MeJulie xx;)

my god i have plucked my chin and lip ,shaved my tummy and said nothing to anybody my pcos stopped my periods and i had fertility treament to sort it which worked amazingly but the periods dissapeared again ,but i was happy at that as i dont turn into godzilla every month anymore and dont have horrendous cramp and heavy periods that never seem to stop but hearing other people talk about it reminds me of the horrible plucking and shaving that i hide from my oh constantly if my pcos follows its pattern when i lose a good amount of weight my periods will return with a vengence and the wonderful mood swings along with them omg!!! xxheather

Back