• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS

I have PCOS and I had a bypass in October. I have lost 9 stone in 9 months and many of my symptoms have lessened or gone away but I still have the worrisome lip hair and the occasional wild chin hair that comes in black and thick (all my other body hair is light and fine so it is weird). I have a very regular cycle now but it is still a heavy flow, PMT, cramps and migraines. I am planning on testing out my fertility soon so I will let you all know how it goes!:eek:

Nic:D

Oh wow good luck with that!

And your weight loss in AMAZING.

I have PCOS and I had a bypass in October. I have lost 9 stone in 9 months and many of my symptoms have lessened or gone away but I still have the worrisome lip hair and the occasional wild chin hair that comes in black and thick (all my other body hair is light and fine so it is weird). I have a very regular cycle now but it is still a heavy flow, PMT, cramps and migraines. I am planning on testing out my fertility soon so I will let you all know how it goes!:eek:

Nic:D

I have PCOS and tried metformin and vansqua or whatever its called ha sorry.. It made me spotty as hell!!
I have to shave my face every day its horrible. Plus shave my tummy, arms, legs etc.. I'm like a yeti!! Hardly any periods, no children and unlikely due to the state of my body. It just doesnt work like a womans body should :cry:
I want WLS to help me get rid of this weight and hopefully help with these awful syptoms x

I had a laparoscopy in 1999 as we were having trouble concieving. They said I had pcos, but then I concieved naturally 4 times, 3 of which were healthy pregnancies.
each time I got pregnant I was on a no carb diet !!!! very strange but this is suppost to help with pcos.
Helen
x

I too am a hairy, spotty, infertile PCOSer! So depressing :(
Bypass booked for this friday!!!

i so know that carbs are my enemy, but love them more than anything. will be trying to leave them out of post op diet (as much as poss)

my pcos was diagnosed after i was scanned, it was quite obvious the size and amount of cysts i had on my ovarys. blood tests confirmed it and confirmed i had insulin resistancy, i was told i had 2 years and i would then be a diabetic, erm well that was near 10 years ago and full diabetes hasnt hit yet
i did manage to concieve on my first month on clomid, docs are convinced its not the clomid that helped as said it normally takes several months
i have to shave my chin, top lip, arms, legs and stomach daily to try and keep it at bay, will have to get saving for the laser surgery

I am so with you on the carbs thing.. When I did a strict no carbs diet I lost loads, approx a pound per day!

Fainted a few times too, but that's probably cos I am vegetarian so practically live on carbs, cut them out and there isn't much I can have so I was just starving myself! I got so sick of plain ol scrambled egg. Now if someone offers me scrambled egg I feel nauseus!

But like you I know that post op I will have to cut them out for the op to work, so I am going to try and cut them down from tomorrow... tonight I am having beans on toast for tea, cos it's my favourite :)

Rx

hello e1

with regards to the carb things, I saw a dietician about 3 weeks ago who told me that I need to up my carb intake,she knows I have pcos and have done for many a year , so I am little confuddled by all this , why would someone in the profession tell me to do the opposite????

Thanks for reading - all the best - MeJulie x x

I believe it to be well known that people with Pcos should have lower carbs, but that doesn't mean your dietician is wrong, we are all individuals and they are technically experts. I would say read up a bit on the reasons behind high protein or low GI diets in pcos, and give her a call, there may well be a good reason for it.

Here is something I have copied and pasted, but I thought it was quite informative.

Let us know how you get on.

Rx

Because carbohydrates are often linked to high insulin levels, women with PCOS are typically recommended to follow a low glycemic index diet. Foods in this type of diet do not cause a quick rise and fall in blood sugar levels and therefore help to prevent elevated insulin levels. Since carbohydrates are the main culprit behind rising insulin levels, many women may be tempted to cut out carbs from their diet or follow a low carb diet, such as the Atkins diet. This is not necessary, though, and may not even be healthy as these diet sometimes contain too much saturated fat, which has been linked to heart disease.
There is nothing wrong with having carbohydrates in your diet so long as they are the right kind of carbs. Instead of choosing starchy, processed carbs, which contribute to high insulin levels causing your blood sugar to remain low while you crave more carbs, opt for whole grain carbohydrates. Because they have more fibre in them, they take longer for your body to turn into sugar and therefore have a low gylcemic index.
Carbs: How Much is Too Much?

It is difficult to say precisely what is the right proportion of carbohydrates for women with PCOS as each woman is different and has their own dietary needs. Some experts, however, suggest that women that are overweight and affected by PCOS try reducing their daily carbohydrates intake to 40% of their diet. If no changes are noticed, then try reducing your daily carb intake a little more until you detect an improvement. If you become aware of any of the following changes, then it is likely that you have found the right balance of carbohydrates for you:
  • You have more energy
  • You have fewer cravings
  • You notice some weight loss
  • Your insulin levels are lower
  • Your periods become more regular
However, you may not need to reduce your carbohydrate intake too much. A study at the University of Alabama in the United States found that women with PCOS that consumed a diet comprised of 43% carbohydrates had reduced insulin levels and less insulin response to carbs.
Your carbohydrate intake is not the only thing to be concerned about when it comes to losing weight, though. You will also need to be careful of the amount of calories you consume. Consuming too many calories will result in weight gain, regardless of whether the calories come from a fat, carbohydrate or protein source. Additionally, try to eat your carbs with protein or fat and avoid consuming all of your carbs at one time, which can lead to a spike in your insulin levels rather than gradually rising over the course of the day.

very useful hun thanks. my best weight loss came from high protein/low carb diet. lost about 4 stone in as many months but returned to old habbits and regained. during this time i also had more energy and conceived.

I shall be calling my dietician as seems u all been told different to what i have been told and this seems to be aiding my weight loss.......no loss in 10 weeks now .....................and I am on low fat diet , as waiting for gall bladder op.......

well this is not what i been told but what was glaringly obvious to me through trying different things. low/low cal did nothing for me. low carb/high protien worked

Back