• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT funding in other hospitals

HiddenBeauty

Lil Miss Kitty
I have a friend who is thinking about getting the bypass and she said that her PCT might not fund her and I remember something on here about you being able to apply to other hospitals but she said that she can only apply at her one hospital.

Advice would be great guys.

Unfortunately, except for (I think) Charing Cross, which does its own funding, you will have to get pct funding first. Then you can choose which hospital.

So she will have to get it from her local pct? her docs think that they will turn her down because they are hardly doing ops these days.

Unfortunately that's also what I heard from my GP about my PCT. All she can do is try :/ And appeal appeal appeal.

Will let her know hon - thanks

Had a look at your blog by the way - loved it. I find I am having slightly more mush in my soups then you - hospitals are bizzare creatures.

Well I'm trying to make them a liquid as I can, and I'm allowed one mushy meal a day now :)

Hi Kitty how have you been finding the liquid diet.

Mine allows blended soups and my tummy has been fine with slightly thicker soups. So I am following their book. Little Yve has not complained so suspect that it is liquid enough. Only lentil and bean soup are a no no until next stage.

Hi

Back on topic

You apply to your local PCT for funding, but can within reason choose which hospital you want your surgery at. In my area there are no hospitals doing wls and I was referred to two different hospital both in other pct areas for my surgery, I ended up having it done at st Richards in west Sussex and I live in Kent. So your pct will fund other hospitals for wls.

Paul

I've told her to keep trying.

Her bmi is over 50 and she has ME and other problems yet her docs think she won't get funding because she's under 30.

I think "now" is the wrong time for people to be trying. There is a lot of upheaval in the NHS and the new "reform" and I think a lot of people are gonna be denied for a good year or so.

Agreed. Also think that this government does not support the nhs and the money is just not there.

According to Professor Winston on the Wright Stuff yesterday, the NHS is a lot better off than the public is lead to believe. And the ops dont cost the NHS what the PCT's have to pay. The NHS decides based on private sector prices.

His expertise is fertility. But according to him an £11000 run of IVF really costs £3000. So if the hospitals starting charging PCT's what it actually costs to do ops, maybe there would be less of a financial funding problem.

#just thinking out loud lol

Does she live in an area thats near a border....pct's cover such an area, tell her to find out where hers covers...see if the border of it to another pct is nearby, if so, change GP surgery to a catchment of the other pct and try there....

Or cheekily - register for a gp surgery at a friends/relatives address in a different pct district

What harm can it do just to apply, ok so she might get turned down, but you never know untill you try and if she did get turned down she could always appeal, I was turned down for funding but that decission was reversed when my GP appealed on my behalf.

What can see loose by applying. Especially as we have now just started a new financial year and the PCT Will have all of this years funding allowances to spend on your behalf.

Paul

What harm can it do just to apply, ok so she might get turned down, but you never know untill you try and if she did get turned down she could always appeal, I was turned down for funding but that decission was reversed when my GP appealed on my behalf.

What can see loose by applying. Especially as we have now just started a new financial year and the PCT Will have all of this years funding allowances to spend on your behalf.

Paul

s'pretty much what i keep saying to her :)

Back