• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT funding in other hospitals

Hi

Back on topic

You apply to your local PCT for funding, but can within reason choose which hospital you want your surgery at. In my area there are no hospitals doing wls and I was referred to two different hospital both in other pct areas for my surgery, I ended up having it done at st Richards in west Sussex and I live in Kent. So your pct will fund other hospitals for wls.

Paul

Same for me, infact my Dr said there were no local Hospitals that would take some one of my size.

So I was given a choice of a few Hospitals, mainly in London.

I chose Guy's as it is right next to London Bridge Station.

Ended up at Guy's sister Hospital and then outsourced to the Princess Grace.

Hi
A thought I was told today that made me really think was think.
It actually costs the nhs a lot more to keep people with co_morbidities alive and well than to pay for WLS.
So it is in everyones best interest to grant funding.

If everything goes to plan with wls the NHS will save a small fortune in the long run, unfortunately they don't all look in the long run but many do.

Paul

The problem is, because joe public doesn't believe the surgery is acceptable, the nhs can carry on like this. Doesn't matter how many times it is made clear that this is more financially effective than diet pills, weight management, operations on comorbidities etc.

Yvessa said:
The problem is, because joe public doesn't believe the surgery is acceptable, the nhs can carry on like this. Doesn't matter how many times it is made clear that this is more financially effective than diet pills, weight management, operations on comorbidities etc.

True. Joe public things 'eat salad and get on a treadmill fatty' then we will cost the NHS nothing. Problem solved :D

(I wish lol)

Yeah I tried that. And damaged my knees further doing it. Thankfully I went to see my doctor about it and he told me to stop. But Joe public never thinks about that.

I was told by my doctor that he would apply for me but I would most likely be turned down as my BMI was 42 and I have no health problems at all, I got the funding and my op is in 3 weeks so its always worth trying

Sally
Did you have any comorbidities, and how long from referral to op?
I'm considering going private, cant afford the £10k in this country, so considering going abroad for £4k. I seem to be able to do more research on the surgeons abroad than here! x

I have no comorbidities , I tried a year of weight management classes and dieting with no weight loss so went to doctor around November last year my op is 16th may but I hear Surrey where I live is one of the easiest to get funding

Welldone you.

Our pct is rubbish on all counts in leics, but are happy to recommend a private surgeon who charges £10k!! Bit out if my reach!!

X

Cumbria pct turned me down to start with said no suffient weight loss programs so i appealed, i sent them copies of lighter life, weight watchers slimming world etc talked about bad knees bad back due to weight and they finally agreed but they did write to me and say that the pct would not fund plastic surgery as it was not in there interest to do this so if i wanted it i would have to go private!!

The hospitals here work on a catchment area bit like the schools so if you applied to a hospital outside the area you wouldnt get funding!!

Hope your friend manages to get sorted xx

Back