• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Phat Photo Food Journal with Recipes

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Nic
Thank you soo much for sharing your tried and tested recipes with us, I am writing my shopping list now, just waiting for the banana berry recipe to get the ingredients for that too. Good luck with your day of baking :)

Xx

sukay

Trying to focus on future
......well maybe my dark chocolate brownie bites, what do you think Carole(my official taste-tester) , oh no now I will have you all drooling...

oooo!! chocolate brownie bites - HOW do you stop at eating just one???

sound gorgeous - can't believe they are good for me?

wannabeslimagain

saying goodbye to my fat
Tomorrow, promise hun. Let me know how those oaties worked out. :)

hi nic, well the oat protien bars were a massive hit. I adore them and my hubby ate 2 and my son looked and said i dont like things like that but later on curiosity got the better of him and he tried one and was amazed, he totaly loved them, so they are a hug hit in our house. I had to improvise a little though as I had no vanilla protien powder. I had some natural flavour complan so i used that and a splash of vanilla extract and it seems to have worked a treat as they are delicious. Thanks for sharing your recepies with us and giving us a chance to eat great tasing food that are good for us instead of boring foods all the time. (well it was boring in my case and very limited) :D:eat::happy036:

Neen

WLS Moderator
Thanks very much for the recipes Nic, I am looking forward to trying the Quiche as I haven't had much luck eating eggs so far (get stuck a lot), Thanks again x

phatgirl

Bananaberry High Protein Bar (by demand, lol)

65g Ground Almonds
35g Oatmeal
30g Spelt Flour
20g Chopped Nuts
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp Cold Butter
2 tbsp Cottage Cheese w/pineapple
2 tbsp Peanut butter
1 Egg, beaten
1 Banana, mashed
50-60g Blueberries, frozen
*1 tbsp Agave Nectar Syrup, optional
*2 tsp Brown Sugar Splenda, optional topping

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees or Gas Mark 4.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine beaten egg, peanut butter, agave syrup (if you like sweet, I do), mashed banana, and cottage cheese. Stir in blueberries. Put to the side.

Now you will add the very cold butter to the dry mixture, a secret of making light bake goods btw, cut the butter into small chunks. Using your fingertips, rub the butter and dry ingredients together until the mixture has the consistency of very coarse crumbs, I find this step very tactile and I love doing it! Now tip the wet mixture into dry mixture gently so not to squish the blueberries.

Spread mixture into a baking dish lined with parchment. Gently smooth with a fork, sprinkle the brown sugar splenda if desired and press in the surface with a fork. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then chill in the fridge for at least an hour, they are best served cold I think.

Makes 8 bars.

Hints:
Make sure your banana is very ripe, the skin peel should be black for optimum sweetness. You can add protein powder to this by reducing the almonds by a 1/3. I don't think this one needs it as it is very high in protein already. The babies taste great the next day and will freeze very well.

Attachments

• BananaberryIngredients.jpg
    BananaberryIngredients.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 142
  • BBDryIngredients.jpg
    BBDryIngredients.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 142
  • BBWetIngredients.jpg
    BBWetIngredients.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 125
  • BBCrumbs.jpg
    BBCrumbs.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 217
  • BBToOven.jpg
    BBToOven.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

phatgirl

Optional Fruit & Nut Glaze:

2-3 tbsp of no-sugar fruit jam (I used strawberry)
2 tbsp of chopped nuts
1 tsp of butter or margerine
1/2 tsp vanilla

Pop the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 30-40 seconds, stir and spread over cooled bars. If you aren't feeling like the fruit topping you can make a nut topping with agave syrup, nuts, butter & vanilla.

Attachments

• NutGlaze.jpg
    NutGlaze.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 107
  • BananaberryNutGlazePan.jpg
    BananaberryNutGlazePan.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 194
  • BananaberryBarsGlazed.jpg
    BananaberryBarsGlazed.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 114
  • BBOutofOven.jpg
    BBOutofOven.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

sukay

Trying to focus on future
Hi Nic

Thanks so much for this :) How many servings in the bananaberry bars please?

How to do you restrict yourself lol!!!

phatgirl

I have just amended the recipe to show that it makes 8 bars. As for restricting myself, you have to learn moderation and these treats are no exception to that because they are not calorie or fat free! I limit myself to one per day, they are very filling, I will eat one and have a small yogurt and that is a meal for me!

Nic:D

phatgirl

Day 2 Dinner:

Seared Spicy Tuna Steaks & Sauteed Veg

Tuna Steaks, fresh
Veg (can use any combo you like, fresh, frozen)
1/2 bag of frozen baby carrots
Diced onion & peppers (couple handfuls)
Portabello mushroom, 1 large one diced
Seseame oil

Tuna Marinade:
3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 tsps Ground Ginger
3 tbsp Seaseme Oil
5 twists Chilli Pepper & Garlic Flakes
3-4 tsp Sweetner (I used agave syrup)
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
*3 tbsp white wine (reserve this for making a sauce of the marinade after cooking the tuna)

Mix togther marinade, pour over the tuna steaks and cover, let marinade at room temp for 30 minutes.

While the tuna marinades, make the sautee veg. I used some of the diced onions & peppers from my lunch plus some frozen baby carrots and a potobello mushroom I had in the fridge. Bring a non-stick pan to medium high heat, add frozen & diced veg and some seaseme oil (you can add some hot chilli pepper oil if you like it hot). Stir constantly for about 7-8 minutes, remove from heat and cover.

Bring a non-stick pan to medium heat and drizzle with oil. Remove tuna steaks from marinade, reserving excess marinade to make a sauce. Place the tuna in the pan turning quickly to avoid sticking. Cook tuna for 3-4 mins or until steak is browned on both sides. Remove from pan to serving plate, let it rest while you make the sauce.

Add the leftover marinade and white wine to the pan, should bubble and froth as it de-glazes the pan. Should only take a minute or two to form a loose sauce. Pour directly over the tuna. Add your veg to the plate. For carb eaters (Mr. PG is a carb whore!) you can add some noodles or some rice, hubby had both, lol.

Hubby's hand is on the finshed photo to show the size of my portion, I can eat a nice size portion of tuna in one go as it is soft.

Attachments

• TunaMarinade.jpg
    TunaMarinade.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4869.jpg
    IMG_4869.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 100
  • peppers.jpg
    peppers.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 108
  • SearedTunaSauteVeg.jpg
    SearedTunaSauteVeg.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

phatgirl

Can I ask how much peanut butter and cottage cheese please?

Ooops, I have had to post this recipe twice as I got the whole thing typed in and my computer shut down and I lost it all! Guess when I re-typed it I missed out the cottage cheese & PB. It is fixed now though:eek:.

wannabeslimagain

saying goodbye to my fat
thank you Nic I will be trying these out tomorrow. You have turned me into a new woman in the kitchen I can no longer wait to get in there and cook where before I just didn't want to bother as it was boring. THANK YOU xxx

Last edited:

phatgirl

Day 2 Snacks & Fluids:

4 Large milky coffees, (4x400ml) I make them with 3-4 teaspoons of powdered milk which is about 5-7g of protein per coffee giving me 20 bonus grams of protein!

.75L of water, did not get enough water today to offset my coffee drinking, must do better!

1 clementine

1 Bananaberry High Protein Bar

Attachments

• clementine.jpg
    clementine.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4960.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 102

Glenville

Hi Nic, these recipes look great and I will try some of them this weekend. Have you ever used coconut oil? I was wondering if I could replace the olive oil in some of the recipes with it as it is supposed to increase metabolism, which can only help lose some fat.
Thanks sweetie,
John xx

phatgirl

I want to take a moment to talk about leftovers. They are a bypasser's best friend. Sometimes what seems like a tiny amount of something can be fashioned into a breakfast or lunch very easily. I love to cook but some days there just isn't time or I don't feel the inspiration. So, I always have leftovers in my fridge or freezer. Most dinner leftovers can be made into a quiche or a tortilla pizza which disguises their 'leftoverness' but an easier way to use leftovers is to add things to make them feel different.

Day 3 lunch: Leftover Quiche, no frills just leftover!

Day 3 Dinner:
Salad Night (I have a patent pending on this, lol!)

Italian 3-Bean Salad (leftover) + a tin of tuna mixed in
Green Salad (romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, plum tomato, portobello mushroom)
Tropical fruit salad (pineapple, red & yellow papaya here is the product I used and I added a diced small apple + a pinch of coconut)

The photo of my lunch quiche is missing a bite as I forgot to snap it until I had already had some so imagine at least another fork full. I have posted pictures below of my dinner but I was unable to eat the entire portion I served myself! I left a couple of spoonfuls of fruit, and some green salad behind as the bean salad and tuna was very filling.

Attachments

• LeftoverQuiche.jpg
    LeftoverQuiche.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 139
  • SaladNight.jpg
    SaladNight.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 148

phatgirl

Day 3 Snacks & Fluids:

My usual 4 cups milky coffee
1 cup of Fruit tea (400 mls)
1L of water
1 Atkins daybreak bar, was craving something chewy & chocolate. I got them from Boots for £5.25 for 5 bars and keep them for snack emergencies! Also replaces nicely the candy bar at the cinema.

Attachments

• AtkinsDaybreakBar.jpg
    AtkinsDaybreakBar.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 135