• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

plastic surgery.

TessG

I was just wondering if everyone who has weight loss surgery ends up having to have reconstructive surgery? Is this something that affects more 'mature' people or mainly women/men? Is there anything you can do to minimise the chance of having to have this done?

I haven't had my surgery yet and was wondering if i should start saving up for reconstructive stuff now!

Each person is different. some suffer from alot of lose skin, others not so much. it can be costly to have the plastic surgery, and not every NHS trust will allow it through them.
Exercise most definitely helps with shrinking the skin as I have found.

I've heard that there are a lot of factors that affect whether or not you will be affected by loose skin; age, time you've spent in the sun, smoker or not, genetics!
While I lose weight I intend to save for surgery in case I do have loose skin. If I don't have it, it'll be a bonus and I'll spend the cash on clothes!
x

I don't think it's just people who have had WLS who have a potential loose skin problem. Anyone who has become very seriously overweight then loses it (by whatever means) could be affected by loose skin. It's the price we pay for getting so overweight I guess. As long as we can overcome the weight issue with the help of surgery if we are fortunate enough to have it and lose the excess fat, and win some quality of life and longevity back, that's the main thing in my opinion. I expect some PCTs fund the odd TT if you have a huge apron after with medical difficulties etc and have proven you can keep the weight off for a significant period..(you'll have to check with your PCT I imagine)
If you exercise it will improve the look of your body by the muscle tone holding everything together better but it can't really eliminate any chance of loose skin at all. Some people are more prone than others regardless of age..sometimes it's genetics.

IT also depends on how much weight you have to loose. If you are like me and have alot of weight to loose you will have no chance of exscaping loose skin. Janey:D

Back