• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please may I ask.. open to all

am aware that we're advised to take multivitamins because of stomach being shrunk via whichever operation.. is there any other reason than this?

may sound an odd question but am asking in all seriousness as I've forgotten once or twice this past 2 weeks and wanted to make sure there wouldnt be any ill effects so to speak because of having mised a couple..

thanks to anyone who replies

am aware that we're advised to take multivitamins because of stomach being shrunk via whichever operation.. is there any other reason than this?

may sound an odd question but am asking in all seriousness as I've forgotten once or twice this past 2 weeks and wanted to make sure there wouldnt be any ill effects so to speak because of having mised a couple..

basically, cos of the bypass, we're given a mal-absorbtion problem, and also cos of the small pouch we can't get so much food in, the multivitamens etc are take as a supplement to add to what you take in via food, so if you miss the odd couple i doubt it'll make alot of difference, but you should take em on a regular basis, just to keep it all topped up ;)

Hi there

As a bander you should get all the nutrients from your food. Its bypassers that need the vitamins daily.

I am almost 10 months out and have never taken them.

If your diet contains all the food groups you will be okay without.

:)

i have always took a 1 a day multi vitamin as i feel it cant do any harm xxx

It is advisable to take a multi-vitamin for anyone on a restricted diet, including banders. However it is by no means required and as Caz said if your diet is healthy you would be fine without it. Taking vits just ensures that you are getting all that you need nutritionally.

Nic:D

Sorry, just got to dispel that myth that taking vitamins of any sort will stop your hair falling out - there is nothing you can take in/rub on as the "damage" was already done at the time of your op. I've already been there once, and it grew back curly after previously being only slightly wavy! Now I've had another op, about the time you had yours, I know to expect it to start again any time now. But it's not that bad, and it does grow back! For anyone who wants to read the science.......

Telogen Effluvium (WLS Hair Loss)

At any given time, about 85% to 90% of the hairs on the average person's head are actively growing (the anagen phase) and the others are resting (the telogen phase). Typically, a hair is in the anagen phase for two to four years, then enters the telogen phase, rests for about two to four months, and then falls out and is replaced by a new, growing hair. The average person naturally loses about 100 hairs a day.
In a person with telogen effluvium, some body change or shock pushes more hairs into the telogen phase. Typically in this condition, about 30% of the hairs stop growing and go into the resting phase before falling out. So if you have telogen effluvium, you may lose an average of 300 hairs a day instead of 100.
Telogen effluvium can be triggered by a number of different events, including:
• Surgery
• Major physical trauma
• Major psychological stress
• Extreme weight loss
• Extreme change in diet
• Iron deficiency
• A new medication

Because hairs that enter the telogen phase rest in place for two to four months before falling out, you may not notice any hair loss until two to four months after the event that caused the problem. Telogen effluvium rarely lasts longer than six months, although some cases last longer.
Although losing a great number of hairs within a short time can be frightening, the condition is usually temporary. Each hair that is pushed prematurely into the telogen phase is replaced by a new, growing hair, so there is no danger of complete baldness. Because hair on the scalp grows slowly, your hair may feel or look thinner than usual for a time, but fullness will return as the new hairs grow in.
Typically, hair loss begins two to four months after the event that triggered the problem, and lasts approximately six months. New hairs begin growing immediately after the hair falls out, but significant growth may not be noticed for several months.

Nothing can be done to prevent most of the types of physical shock that can start telogen effluvium. Some cases may be caused by a poor diet, and these might be prevented by eating a balanced diet that provides enough protein, iron and other nutrients.

No treatment for active telogen effluvium has been proven effective.

Many times, however, the cause is a specific event in the past, and you can expect that the hair will grow back. In cases where hair growth has not returned to a satisfactory level, your doctor may prescribe minoxidil (Rogaine), a lotion applied to the scalp that stimulates hair growth in some people.

The outlook for telogen effluvium is very good. Most cases run their course within six to nine months, and the hair usually grows back. In some cases, the disorder may last longer. In other cases, not all hairs grow back.

Back