• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pls help I'm confused

Big joe

Hi there all . I'm new here.firstly I applied to have gastric bypass but just got turned down by Sandwell pct,bmi is about 47.I have been on all types of diets,tablets,etc. Was wondering do I have a chance if I go back and see my doc? back in 2010 I was accepted,but due to my personal problems had to come of waiting list. But now told criteria has changed. Pls can anyone help.give me advice . Thanks. Regards Joe :confused:

Last edited:
hi joe and welcome to the site,dont wanna make u feel any worse then u do but with pcts its basically a postcode lottery of who gets accepted and who doesnt,your doctor cant really change that as its still the pct who decides on funding,i wouldnt give in tho! id appeal and ask to see the requirement list for yourself xx good luck xx

thankyou,and you also! dont ever give up xx

i was turned down twice jo xx but i appealed and finally here i am :) don't give up and do you have co morbidities diabetes etc sleep apnoea ? is your weight much different now to then have you been losing it and is why you don't fit the new criteria ? all these things your doctor can put in the appeal letter x good luck keep us informed x take care

this is what i dont understand my bmi in 46 and i have no morbidities at all,ive been bugging my doctor for years and he always refused to refer me as i CAN loose weight on my own i just cant keep it off,i demanded to be refered they cant refuse you and i got accepted,i would keep bugging them xx

I dont really have anything to add, Tracey and Angie have said it all, but good luck :) I hope you get there!

Hi angie

Hi angie. Thanks for advice.
Well I have put on more weight since 2st,I think they said the new nice guidelines have changed since.I have to see my gp regarding slleep apnea,as do have some symptoms for sleep apnea will have to do test or something I guess?

Will keep u posted. Thank very much

Best of luck to you too.

Regards Joe x

Decide which hospital you want the surgery at and then, phone/write or email there bariatric department to find out what their criteria is for weight loss surgery. You need to know this and make sure you fall into one of the categories they require. Keep on hassling them till you get the information.
Good luck and dont give up
Kim

some sleep studies can be done at home they wire you up and then you take the machine back to them and they can diagnose it easily enough, you may be shocked how often you do actually stop breathing :( every string to your bow Joe x

how comes i didnt have to do ANY tests?Xx

i don't know maybe they didn't think you were high risk or something xx i didn't have psychological tests but already had diabetes and sleep apnoea before i was ever put forward :) if they've given you funding without i wouldn't ask for them :)

Hi there all . I'm new here.firstly I applied to have gastric bypass but just got turned down by Sandwell pct,bmi is about 47.I have been on all types of diets,tablets,etc. Was wondering do I have a chance if I go back and see my doc? back in 2010 I was accepted,but due to my personal problems had to come of waiting list. But now told criteria has changed. Pls can anyone help.give me advice . Thanks. Regards Joe :confused:

Hi Joe Sandwells criteria has only just changed to BMI 50
Where in Sandwell are you?

there you go joe that sounds positive :) and i honestly don't know that much only what i have been through myself x but there are loads of people on here who can advise and i know walsall is a very popular area for meetings etc :)

hey honey welcome to the site! i got accepted straight away but that was because my brother in laws mum works at the doctors so she gave me a copy of requirements... ask your doctor for a copy or have a look to see if you can find one for your area online but mmake sure its an official one if your unsure just ask your doc huni :):):) take care xxxx

Back