• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Gastric Sleeve Food Question!

rosysdream

Hi all

I'm now 3 weeks post op, and I've been following the post-op diet to a tee and I'm now currently on the Soft Texture phase. I'm finding it great and my stomach is fine with it, but there are a couple of things that I want to try, but I'm not sure if I should have them yet.

Soft bread & soft chips - would they be alright to have in this phase, or is there anything like those that I can have? I really miss bread haha.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm coming to the end of week three and can't stand anything more than yoghurt (in thickness) but if there is anything I've noticed...it's how much it varies from person to person. Bread is likely to be a challenge as it expands in the stomach. So if you want to try it out you need to start with really small amounts. I imagine soft chips would be a better option. Either way you need to keep it to small amounts. Staying on a low carb diet will help you get the most out of your sleeve :D . Congrats with your weight loss so far!!! xXx

P.S- Lots of people I've chatted to have enjoyed stewed fruits, mashed potato and stuff like slightly mashed baked beans at this stage :)

Hi all

I'm now 3 weeks post op, and I've been following the post-op diet to a tee and I'm now currently on the Soft Texture phase. I'm finding it great and my stomach is fine with it, but there are a couple of things that I want to try, but I'm not sure if I should have them yet.

Soft bread & soft chips - would they be alright to have in this phase, or is there anything like those that I can have? I really miss bread haha.

Hey, I would personally avoid both of those foods until you are on normal food, however bread will still be a potential problem if after you are on normal. I haven't eaten bread for 9 months (i am 7 months post sleeve) but everyone is different.

Try things like shepherds pie and mash and beans. Try to keep your meals as nutricious as possible

Good luck on your new journey :) x

They are both foods that typically stick so you may really, really struggle with them and find yourself feeling quite ill. Focus on protein rather than empty carbs. Bread I'm ok with now but I'm 16mths out and only recently started eating it again without the need to toast it.

Im just starting at this stage and tried a little mashed egg for first time today as that was on the hospital list.
It was so filling after a couple of teaspoons... I had that mid afternoon and ive been trying to sip fluids since but I just feel sooooo bloated...

Ive read that long term soft bread is a no no and would be better to have toasted bread or crackers... but my info from hospital says not to try until 8 weeks...

I tried toast at about 10 weeks ago, only because I was on holiday and don't like milk abroad. I don't eat bread even now at & months out, it takes up valuable space for protein. I have had it when eating a hamburger but after two bites I'm done.

I tried toast at about 10 weeks ago, only because I was on holiday and don't like milk abroad. I don't eat bread even now at & months out, it takes up valuable space for protein. I have had it when eating a hamburger but after two bites I'm done.

When did you have your surgery?? Its good to hear how other people manage....

Hi all

Hey rosy, I am three weeks post-sleeve too. Im virtually on 'normal' foods now. Usually have some wheetabix or yoghurt for breakkie, soup and a dutch rusk for lunch. For dinner this week its either been baked cod, seabass or chicken with an asparagus tip, tenderstem broccoli and some puy lentils.

Still trying not to wolf it down......the problems start when I eat too quickly. Im fine if I eat slow and chew lots and lots!!!

Even made myself a wee cocktail last night (did nurse this for two hours, but it was pleasant, especially when my friday nights were prosecco and cocktail-filled messes!!!)

I was told that if I wanted to have bread, that it wasn't to be fresh. I was out for lunch with a friend last week and absent mindedly took a bite of bread......it hurt! I have had one chip (rock n' roll!!!) chewed it well, it was fine.

Really enjoying the different textures and flavours at the moment, though it does worry me that my tummy is fine at the stage I am at.....ive read a lot of stories on here about people 6 months in that are still being sick when eating.

Let me know how you get on,

Indy

Back