• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op band help please

Darin ... My shock days had 2000 calories ... And look how much I have lost with the band ... With restriction, balanced eating and exercise, you are going to do great i am sure x

I've got my first fill date 11th December. What does it feel like after a fill? Is it like after the surgery?
Other news. Popped a slice of ham in my mouth today chewed and swallowed. When I say chewed it was a pre band chew ouch. I bet that won't slip my mind often.

Went for a run/jog 500cals. I put weight on after my last run but I know that won't be happening today I can feel it. Also my body fat is down from 33% to 28%.
I hope that means that the cholesterol is in a normal range now too. Will see my GP next week & let her know about the band too.

Wow you guys are on normal food after just 2-3 weeks? I was supposed to do 4 weeks liquids and could only manage 3 weeks. So now I'm on 2 weeks of puree food, to be followed by 2 weeks of mashable food. That's before I can even look at a cracker or a proper piece of meat.
Why are things so different? My team said I have to take care of the stitches of stomach flesh around the band to keep it in place. Did you have those?
I'm 4 weeks post op, have been walking every day since I got home and have taken up swimming twice a week. Weight stopped changing for a bit but it's on the move again now I'm working out more.
I have a 6 week check up Dec 10th which is a little group meet and no sign of a fill yet. I am still struggling to get anything more solid than runny mashed potato down without pain, so I'm fine with my restriction!

I don't know why it's so different. I was told 2 weeks liquid diet, yoghurt, shakes custard. Then 2 weeks soft diet, anything that didn't need cutting so cottage pie type stuff, fish etc. Then spoke to nurse who said because I was hungry & had no problem eating I could test things out with caution but avoid things like steak. I think it's individual really. It sounds like you're not ready to move on to anything more substantial yet so just follow the after care advice from your provider.

Darin, you found out the hard way unfortunately with the ham :( ... But I bet most of us have been there at some point. Difficult to change the habits of a lifetime :sigh: anyway, in answer to your question, when you ask about how it feels after a fill, in comparison to post op, it really depends how you felt post op to be honest. for me, after a band fill I have felt maybe a little more satisfied, for a little longer (until the fat around my tummy shrank and the band felt less tight again). However, I have never felt really really tight, to the extent I can only eat a few mouthfuls and feel full. I have relied on the band as back up, but counted calories too. So I am pretty good at estimating the right amount I should be eating to lose weight, and the band just stops me if I decide to go far too far off track. I am going for a teeny fill on Friday as I would like to stop the calorie counting ... And maybe feel what other people feel when they hit there sweet spot. Lets see if I stick with that decision or revert back to what I am doing now though LOL. All I can say is that even with calorie counting, I would not have been able to achieve what I have without my little silicone friend. I l:heartpump::heartpump: my band

Had my 1/4 mil fill. Eventually hubby hid the scales last night ... So no ability to weigh in. Not "properly" counted calories over the past few days, but have still recorded the type of food I have eaten and sort of guesstimated in my mind...gonna let loose tomorrow totally...:) or :eek:

How are you doing?

I'm ok. Had a call from the dietician & it's on to normal food this weekend. She said try anything & you can drink with food. Having my first fill on 12/12 & 2nd fill on 7/01. I put 5lb back on since eating but working on that now I can eat more substantial food. I've made a big pan of chunky soup. :)

Last edited:
Flutterby, had tge 1/4ml made a difference? My appetite is as insatiable as ever what did you do in the early days before restriction?

Thanks for the advice. Feeling a little better today. The wind is so irritating though. I will be flapping around like a windmill today. I've had some slim fast for breakfast today made up 125mls with 1 scoop & it seems sufficient.

hi

i had same windy pain bloating
lucky only last about 10 days
good luck

xxxx

I cannot say how much difference it's made at the moment. My appetite fluctuates massively over a monthly cycle so a few more weeks and I reckon I could answer honestly your question darrin.

I cannot say how much difference it's made at the moment. My appetite fluctuates massively over a monthly cycle so a few more weeks and I reckon I could answer honestly your question darrin.

Do you find your band feels really tight during your period? I have had to go back a stage to fluids as anything thicker is hard to get down xx

Yep it does get tighter, I can still eat, but at that time, its like I have the perfect level of restriction. It's the rest of the time I feel I can eat lots and lots,

Back