• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op depression??

Raynebubble

Hi i think i am suffering with post op depression as i can be ok one minute... and at he drop of a hat i can burst into tears.

Im 7 weeks post op and hear a few people at this stage feel the same... i dont really want to go down the route of anti depressents unless i have to...

but just wondered if this post op depression wears off or is it something we have to deal with forever..?

i know it a difficult question but one i thought i should ask

xx

Aw Rayne, I can't help you as I,m still pre-op. But I hope somebody on here can give you some experienced encouragement . Good luck and I hope you are very soon feeling better xx

Hi rayne
I think you just gotta hang in there and as you get smaller and confidence gets bigger the happy hormones will deffo kick in. Its just a guess cos im only 5 weeks and you havent had the best 7 weeks of it have you.
Keep your chin up and i hope this passes
Kim

Hi Rayne, hopefully someone with more experience will come along shortly and assist, but my penny's worth is this; it is not surprising that depression can set in - you are facing a whole new way of life, and that involves questioning your decision (maybe) its impact on your life (not just the really positive things) your relationships etc.
Your body is still coming to terms with what has happened to it and maybe you might want to consider some St John's Wort (not if you are on the pill though!!) to lift your mood. No shame in taking anti-depressants if you need them though x

I'm post op a week today, and I felt really sad and tearful this morning.

Everything passes, you are going to be fine x I hope you feel less emotional soon, take care.

I'm wondering if it's real depression or just a bad case of the "OMG what have I done to myself?"s? which most of us have had, I know I have. But once your body adjusts and you start feeling better, hopefully the mood will lift.

thanks Ruthie.. i dont think its proper deppression. ive had a lot happen since having the op ie water infection, sickness bug, no support from my hospital.. ie i can never get through to them, and they just say come down in the morning.. which i cant do as the hospital is 62 miles away! I have felt rather isolated from everyone else who seem to have lots of local support. My doctors say they cant answer any of questions as im the only person from there surgery who as ever had WLS.. and to top it i used to suffer panic attacks when i was younger... and they have started again.... so i think this is all linked... so im putting it down to post op depression. Also the day i had my op a very good friend was having an operation in another hospital and didnt make it..and i think i still havnt grieved xx

oh god i sound like i right moaner...i dont mean to be... i think i need a nice man who can give me a nice big hug xx

oh honey, you really have been through it, and grieving your friend has to come to a head :( bless you, hope you feel better soon xxx

i think cos from wed to sat i wasnt feeling too good, ie sickness. although not sick, nausea and then anti sickness tabs which made me drowsy... im prob a bit low cos of all that.. oh well tmro is another day xx
Thankyou for your support i really do appreciate it x

Hiya rayne I think the mojority of people go through it I certainly no I did but much earlier then you as you no I was feeling down Preety much my first 2/3 weeks but now I'm
Seeing such great results it don't half put a smile on your face
Your feel better soon I promise and in the mean time we are all here for you

Sweetie you have had so much to deal with in a short space of time its no wonder you feel low . A uti & a bereavement would floor anyone but ontop of an op , well id be surprised if you wernt low .
Take some time out for yourself , a little pampering etc & I hope you feel more positive soon xx

Hiya Rayne,
I think you should be proud of how you have dealt with everything. You have been through so much but have been a constant support to many others. I agree that this is probably a normal reaction to everything you have been through.
In the mean time I am here if you need to talk to someone and I am sure there will be many others.
Keep your chin up and think to the bright future that lays ahead of you xxx

awww Rayne ur doing fab!, you've been thru so much in such a short space of time I think ur heads probablys just catching up with everything wots gone on with ur body with ur op and illnesses, and to lose a friend thats hard for anyone without trying to deal with as much as you, stay positive u will get there and be proud of everything ur achieving xx

I think if you're really worried, there's a form online that is called a PHQ9? Health professionals use it to guage the depth of depression - maybe score yourself according to that? If it is really high I would take it to go see your GP.

Oh Rayne, you have been through a rough time. You have done brilliantly despite it all. You wouldn't be normal if you didn't feel depressed some of the time. Give it a little time and if it's no better see your GP. You may need something to 'pick you up'. XxxxX

Thankyou, everyone has been very supportive and i would like to think that i have been to others. it is nice know knowing that i can come here and there is always somebody with some kind words which really do get me through the day. im seeing the doctor tmro and i think before i go into the depression thing i will see if he has any ideas how to combat my anxiety and panic attacks... i thin once i can relax the depression will lift. xx
thankyou again you lovely lovely people xxx

Im not sure it happens to everyone hun xxx its prob not me... im prob just being stupid lol xx

I had no idea you'd been bereaved of a friend; that's a dreadful thing to have to cope with. Poor you!

I'm not a man (and you're not borrowing mine LOL) but if I was where you are I'd give you as manly a hug as I could manage lol!

Back