• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op help, what am i missing?

beepbeepcat

I feel I am not going as well as I should be and stalling!? I burn between 2000/3000 cals and eat between 350-550 cals, I drink minimum of two pints of water, one Nutribullet of spinach, celery, blueberries and water, one large soluble tablet vitamin, two coffees along with extra water in my soup. I eat one runny yogurt for breakfast, Nutribullet for snack, soup for lunch, Few nuts or couple of Ryvita thins with slim slither of cheese and then about 250ml with of evening meal for example vegetables and a tablespoon of mince in gravy. I'm always constipated and feel I'm missing something....comments welcome

Are you just post op? If not, you really need to concentrate on eating protein. Especially if you've had a bypass.

People often do hit a stall at about 6 weeks out after a dramatic loss at first so dont worry, realistically you will lose a few pounds a week once you level off. Just keep at the fluids and following the rules. Constipation is pretty common also...dont be disheartened its a long journey but you will get there. Just think protein! Believe me it does work..chin up x

Thanks for your comments I think that yes some of my days I'm below target of protein and will keep an eye on it. I'm 8 weeks post op next week so I should know by now but I feel its a huge learning curve after so many years I carbs, fat and sugar. Just gone and got some chicken from my local farm shop to boost my protein intake.

Stalls happen all the time in those first six to nine months. I had my bypass in July 13, and lost nothing from end November through to Feb 2014 ... I thought I was at the end of my journey, but then another three stone came off in as many months. We are so conditioned to dieting and failing that we cannot help but get anxious we are doing something wrong - just trust your bypass, and the advice/experience of those who got to target. It will just happen - the science of it really can't do anything but. xxx

Stalls happen all the time in those first six to nine months. I had my bypass in July 13, and lost nothing from end November through to Feb 2014 ... I thought I was at the end of my journey, but then another three stone came off in as many months. We are so conditioned to dieting and failing that we cannot help but get anxious we are doing something wrong - just trust your bypass, and the advice/experience of those who got to target. It will just happen - the science of it really can't do anything but. xxx

That's so reassuring to know x

I have just looked through my diary to see how my losses compare to yours...there really isn't much difference, I had a lot of 2lbs losses, a random 9lbs loss and a 2lbs unexpected gain. I am now just over 9 months post surgery and have lost 7st 3lbs since then. Follow your rules and it will work, make sure you get your protein and fluids.

You are absolutely right it is a huge learning curve...I still find some foods a struggle and then I find something that I expect to cause a problem doesn't.
The other night I was able to eat a crocodile burger in a bun (very slowly), last night I struggled with a small chicken breast and 1 small stuffed mushroom :rolleyes:

It is not all about the scales...sometimes our body needs time to catch up. Don't beat yourself up you are doing fine.

Lynn x

Thanks ladies, I'm getting the discharge paperwork out and rereading along with increase water, protein and starting exercise....fingers crossed for a larger loss and feeling of doing better.

Read and reread my discharge information sheets. Need to reduce my veg intake to lunch time and evening meal 1-2 teaspoons only, increase protein, increase water by 1pt. I'm going to book my first blood tests in tomorrow, pick up my referral to the gym and ask about a soluble fibre tablet to help with constipation. I have my 8 week follow up with consultant Wednesday so going yo write any concerns and questions down to check.
Oh on the refurral to the gym point, did you know that in most areas of the country your dr can write a letter entitling you to massively discounted rates at the gym for rehabilitation and help with fitness.

Indeed Beep. In my PCT it is called Active Lifestyle - is free for a limited number of sessions. I requested it some years ago before my bypass but did not find it challenging enough as I had quite a significant gym and fitness history so ended-up kind of writing my own programme and training the trainer so to speak. It is ideal and a great opportunity to boost the commitment of getting in shape along the way, with the aim of up-ing the challenge in due course. A minimum of three sessions a week is a good starting point, and any more than that will be awesome. I love your determination and fitness focus Beep, and cannot say too,strongly how vital activity is - it doesn't have to be the gym as there is something out there for everyone. I increased my training from three to five a week well over a year ago (Insanity x 3 and Circuits x 2), and have just started Boxfit. Keep going Beep, onwards and downwards.So proud of you xxx

Beep you sound like you are really focused and have a good plan for going forward. I know for me activity is a huge factor in wether I lose weight. Find things that are fun x

I've noticed some really brilliant things.
* I'm taking larger strides when walking without thinking about it
* knee pain has gone to a twinge now and then rather than constant ache and pain when moving
* bath water now goes around me in the bath
* drinking more water (was only drinking cola or coffee)
* feeling more assertive/confident

Back