• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op liquid diet stage

karenlouisemee

i am recently post op and currently on liquid i am unsure of how mush liquid i should be taking at once of like slimfast, fortified milk. i know i can sip fluids all day but not sure of like meal times and how long i should be sipping them for. any help would be greatly appreciated. x:confused:

Hi Karen. I don't think I ever got any advice on this, but I was only on liquids for a few days. I don't honestly think it matters, provided you don't gulp your liquid down.
I generally use a teacup (the old fashioned kind with a saucer) just because my pouch won't tolerate greater volumes than that, even now. So maybe about 150-200 mls at a time is about right?
But I think it's just about sipping love.
I hope that's of help. Perhaps someone who did the liquid diet for longer may be of more help to you?
Grace xxx

I agree with Grace, I dont think there any specific amount per meal so to speak. Just sip sip sip, I could only manage so much before I was bloated and a bit sickly to be honest. Good Luck hun XX

I had my op the day after Jacqui. I wasn't given a set amount, just told to heed my pouch. As Jacqui said you can feel when it is full as it feels bloated. The real secret is to sip and not gulp. I think Grace's idea of a tea cup is a good one. I used one of my small cereal bowls and ate using a child's spoon or tea spoon to slow me down, as I have a tendency to gulp. Don't forget, you'll always be able to eat more of fluids as they slip through the pouch easier. I think that I read somewhere that meals shouldn't last longer than 30 mins, but I'm not sure.

Rebirthxx

Reactions: Bev
I had my op the day after Jacqui. I wasn't given a set amount, just told to heed my pouch. As Jacqui said you can feel when it is full as it feels bloated. The real secret is to sip and not gulp. I think Grace's idea of a tea cup is a good one. I used one of my small cereal bowls and ate using a child's spoon or tea spoon to slow me down, as I have a tendency to gulp. Don't forget, you'll always be able to eat more of fluids as they slip through the pouch easier. I think that I read somewhere that meals shouldn't last longer than 30 mins, but I'm not sure.

Rebirthxx

Pearline I'm sure you're right about the 30 minutes. But I'm not sure it matters with liquids? Certainly as you and Dotty say, I know when Polly Pouch has had enough because I just get SO uncomfortable.
Sometimes all my teacups are in the dishwasher and I have a mug: I forget what I'm drinking from, but then 2/3 down, Polly reminds me!

Thanks everyone who has posted i really do appreciate all the advice that is given to me. x

Pre Op - 14lbs lost.
Week 1- 7lbs lost
Week 2- 9lbs lost
Week 3-
Week 4-
Week 5-
week 6-

Last edited:
I'm thinking of you constantly Karen... good to hear from Beth too today...

Do hope you are keeping comfortable precious, it sounds like you are doing so well....

Keep in touch..... love and hugs xxx

Hi bev im doing great all pain has just about gone. the worst part for me is injecting myself as i have a fear of needles but im slowly overcoming this. keeping all snug and warm but long for a little walk outside but its to slippy. hope ur well Bev. xx

Reactions: Bev
Can't remember where I saw it and I am only pre-op so maybe someone can point us in the right direction but... I saw something about drinking out of childrens sippy cups, I assume to slow you down so that you learn to listen to your body rather than being given an exact quanitity.
Good luck on your journey.
You already look lovely in your photo i'm sure you will be stunning when you have finished all this!

Karen i never got told how much to drink. But i do know because we're not initially drinking as much as we would pre op it's a case of have a drink to hand constantly. For the first few weeks there's no way you'll manage a full mug of hot drink, so if you don't want to waste your milky coffee then make half a cup at a time when you want it...

As for the sippy cup thats for those that gulp it and get wind, luckily if you do gulp your drink you'll only do it once as it hurts like heck...

Just keep sipping and you'll be fine xx

Hi everyone,

Im on the liquid stage for 2 weeks now, blugh !! I was advise to the do the following, slimfast for breakfast and slimfast for lunch and soup for dinner so you are getting your nutrients - 250ml for each liquid. In between "meals" have maybe a smoothie, probiotic drink, coffee/tea. She said if you get into a routine of having 3 main liquids (for your nutrients) a day and 3 drinks in between. I had my slimfast today through a sippy cup and straight away I got shoulder pain, so I think I took in to much air :((

I am on the liquid stage now, first full day at home, and I certainly find it hard to drink even 200mls! It just took me 2 hrs to down half a slimfast!! I had taken my pills before that, which seemed to fill me up already. LOL.
I see the diet sheet as a guideline, I am going to focus on protein and listen to my body to let me know when my new pouch is full or something doesn't agree with me. Something I've never done before :)

Good Luck Blueeyes...I found the liquid stage a bit boring but its got to be done to allow your little pouchy to recover :D XX

Slimfast is mentioned specifically on my diet sheet... but I'm bored of it already. The liquid diet is VERY boring indeed.
Every hospital is different I guess. I was given apple juice and water on day one in hospital, and on top of that on day two, they gave me yoghurt and even hot chocolate! All went down a treat.

best wishes with the liquid diet Blue eyes.
Grace xxx

Grace said:
best wishes with the liquid diet Blue eyes.
Grace xxx

Thanks love!

karenlouisemee said:
Hi bev im doing great all pain has just about gone. the worst part for me is injecting myself as i have a fear of needles but im slowly overcoming this. keeping all snug and warm but long for a little walk outside but its to slippy. hope ur well Bev. xx

Hi hunny, I am on the liquid phase of my op too. I had surgery last Sunday. My dietician told me that 3 glasses of slimfast or low fat milkshake is good to help with healing. Then aim or a child's size bowl of broth. I am glad the pain has gone now and I am feeling human again. I can't inject myself my sister is doing it. Good luck with the liquids xx

Back