• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op liquids - Lap Band

Bullyfun

Evening all, I had op thursday struggling to get liquids in, my booklet says 200mls of fluid at a time but anyone tell me how often?
I dont seem to have enough hours in the day, having one with multivits & calcium first thing, coffee mid morning, fortified milk for lunch (or 200 mls slimfast) coffee mid afternoon, 200 mls soup for dinner, then water in sips till bedtime.
Does this sound right as i seem to be spending all my time sipping or thinking about sipping.....
one good thing im not hungry at all, just need to check im doing this right.... :confused:

Hi there,

Your fluid intake should be about 1.5 to 2 litres a day. So 10 drinks of 200 mls.

Fluids are very important, so keep them coming :)

basically sip as much as you can paul i know its difficult with the swelling but try your best, keep a bottle of water by your side at all times then you wont forget x (imagine its beer lol ;) )

Thanks both I shall sip sip sip
the thing is Liz i dont have swelling, have not taken any pain relief since saturday when I could take deep breaths without it being sore, had a wander round town on saturday and went out for an hour saturday night, really cant explain I dont actually feel as though anything has been done, other than the odd feeling when I forget and take a gulp of liquid and it gurgles down through the gap, other than that all is seemingly back to normal ???
very strange....

Thanks both I shall sip sip sip
the thing is Liz i dont have swelling, have not taken any pain relief since saturday when I could take deep breaths without it being sore, had a wander round town on saturday and went out for an hour saturday night, really cant explain I dont actually feel as though anything has been done, other than the odd feeling when I forget and take a gulp of liquid and it gurgles down through the gap, other than that all is seemingly back to normal ???
very strange....

sounds good to me paul, banders recover rather quickly and get back to normal routines in no time, glad your feeling well, gurgling is normal similar to water going down a plughole lol x

sounds good to me paul, banders recover rather quickly and get back to normal routines in no time, glad your feeling well, gurgling is normal similar to water going down a plughole lol x

spot on just the way i need to explain to the good lady how it feels/sounds

so now what do i just keep drinking and wait for a fill? lol

spot on just the way i need to explain to the good lady how it feels/sounds

so now what do i just keep drinking and wait for a fill? lol

when your insides have settled paul your hunger will return, your band will most likley be empty have they gave u an appointment for your 1st fill ? this is usually 6 weeks from op date

No date for a fill just told i'd get a letter, but were all used to waiting for those so i'll just sit and wait :)
hope the hunger stays off for the 4 weeks liquid stage bring on the mush,,,,

No date for a fill just told i'd get a letter, but were all used to waiting for those so i'll just sit and wait :)
hope the hunger stays off for the 4 weeks liquid stage bring on the mush,,,,

:eek: 4 weeks liquids your surgeon is harsh hun !

just following the booklet I was Given, never saw the surgeon other than the 5 mins in the theatre on day of op.... 4 weeks liquid, 2 weeks mush, then not so mush then solids i guess.....

all surgeons have diff rules u follow what they tell u and u will be ok xxx

That's Heartlands Hospital rules for you!
I'm so pleased you are feeling the way you are though.. I have the same surgeon... I have met him for 10 minutes but had never came across anyone that has been banded by him... I thought he was a really nice man and could have kissed him when he said I could be banded..lol.. x

That's Heartlands Hospital rules for you!
I'm so pleased you are feeling the way you are though.. I have the same surgeon... I have met him for 10 minutes but had never came across anyone that has been banded by him... I thought he was a really nice man and could have kissed him when he said I could be banded..lol.. x

Thanks as I said im really surprised how well I felt as quickly as I did, obviously knows his stuff....
I would have happily gone back to work today if I had to, spent yesterday gently keeping myself busy boredom creeping in now not used to doing anything, intend on cookng a nice cake later after the ironing, what a lucky other half I have lol...

Glad your feeling good Paul - i was the same following my op, up and running within a couple of days as though i'd had nothing done, and other than a couple of plasters on my stomach there wouldn't have been any clue they'd actually been in!

Do try and get water in, though i confess i'm probably the worst person in the world for drinking water, my water intake tends to be from tea and coffee these days (and of course beer ;-)

I didnt / dont really count my drinks intake my dietician said if your wee is dark you need to drink more lol !!!
I had 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks pureed and 2 weeks toddler food, I am only half way through week 3 but have to admit my food is more like a big toddler's food now !! (oops)
I didnt get any paperwork or literature so just went off teh bospa website, I have my fill next tuesday ta 4 weeks 1 day so i dont know how on earth i was expected to get to normal food before a fill.
I am hoping the 5ml that they plan will curb my hunger and get me on track, I am sure I was told that i already had 3ml put in during the op but will find out for sure next week.
stick with it I am sure it will get better.
x

4 weeks after banding is very early to be having a fill, especially if you have some already in there.

6 weeks is the norm, as it takes this long for stomach to heal fully.

I dont know why I havnt asked for a fill I was told 4 - 6 weeks by the surgeon then after i had the op, one of his team told the nurse to make me an appointment after 4 week for 5ml.
Its mad that all the hospitals work soo differently x

mmm trying to drink drink drink, was a bit concerned that i have stuck at 19 stone for the last 4 days, i know dont weigh daily but when I was on the milk diet it was falling off now I have been the same weight for 4 days, i'm guessing due to lack of fluids and food my body has gone into starvation mode and protecting the fat :( :( :(

Bully sounds like you are same as I'd be. I struggle to drink drink drink. I tend to wait till I'm thirsty then down the whole glass of squash. I'm going to have to change some of my habits before my op.

I'm glad you're feeling so well that is good. I have to say the booklet I was given from Heartlands has been great, really informative. It's all set out step by step so you know just where you are at.
Despite me not having a date yet I do feel looked after by the hospital in comparison to Cov Uni Hosp. They even gave me number which if you call...... they pick up!!!!
Amazing
Keep up with the sipping xxx

mmm trying to drink drink drink, was a bit concerned that i have stuck at 19 stone for the last 4 days, i know dont weigh daily but when I was on the milk diet it was falling off now I have been the same weight for 4 days, i'm guessing due to lack of fluids and food my body has gone into starvation mode and protecting the fat :( :( :(

hi paul its normal for weight loss to stall as you say the body has now gone into starvation mode and also u wil have a lot of fluid retention from internal swelling. Dont worry this is very normal xxx

Back