• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op pancreatitis

Jrichard

Hi all,

Just been discharged from hospital for acute pancreatitis.

Has anyone else has post op pancreatitis?

I've been told that as a result of having a bypass up to 30% of patients can get cholecystitis, I didn't realise that this could lead to pancreatitis!

Did anyone else find that the diagnosis was slightly harder to come by?

I've read that the enzymes that are raised in pancreatitis, amylase and lipase, tend to be lower in bypass patients due to the rewiring. Presumably this means that a normal reading is actually a raised reading in a bypasser hense the difficult diagnosis.

I look forward to your thoughts, experiences and knowledge.

Julie. Xx

im sorry, ive not heard of it at all!!

i do hope your on the road to recovery though xx

I just had to have my gallbladder out last week, because of that. I was 7 weeks post-op bypass. The doctor said this happens because we drop weight so quickly, causing gallstones and bile to build-up. It can cause pancreatitis, an hepatitis. I must say I almost immediately felt better when the took it out.

i don't really know anything about either, i was told may end up with gall bladder out and possibly spleen but no idea about the pancreatis xx what are the symptoms and i wonder if DS patients get it ?

following my WLS I went to A&E due to terrible pain - CT scan show a 10cm serous cystadenoma (cyst) on my pancreas - not related to the GBP op - causes me pain and tbh Im terrified of the operation to remove it. one surgeon said remove it another said just monitor it regularly im very confused too! I dont like the idea of it getting any bigger.

You poor thing i hope you feel better soon... keep us up to date with how your getting on. To be honest it scares me all the stuff you seem to read about what happens after bypass, i sometimes feel like ive walked into the operation blind and not well enough informed from my team! x

I don't see why they don't just remove the gall bladder at the same time as the bypass surgery.

It would save a lot of pain and needless hospital admissions.

Julie

Hello
can you tell me what your symptoms are ive been sent home from work this evening as i have pain shooting up my the center of my chest it went into my jaw and backs of my ears.. it also felt like it was hurting my kidneys also. . Ive had two attacks first one was after eating a handful of almonds.. it passed i thought it may have been indigestions, then the second attack happened when i was chewing a sugar free sweet. I still have the pain almost a heavy feeling in my chest. x

Last edited:
Hi rainbow,

My pain was just below the breast bone and along under the ribs. I did have pain in my back also due to dehydration. The pain for me was very severe and was made worse upon eating. I also felt very nauseous. Leaning forward or curled up in a ball eased the discomfort a bit.

My advice is if things are bearable see your GP in the morning. If things are very painful and you feel very unwell then go to a/e or your local out of hours emergency service.

Good luck

Julie xx

Thanks Julie the pain etc seems to last about 30 mins during both attacks it's eased now its a dull ache.. Yes it goes under my rib cage.. I've tested my urine & I'm not dehydrated .. I'll make an emergency appointment at the doctors tmrw x

Thank you..the pains in my back as well I did a urine test & it's not showing an infection in my urine .. However I'm freezing etc maybe I have an infection or the start of an ulcer in my pouch?? I'll keep you posted. Xc

I don't see why they don't just remove the gall bladder at the same time as the bypass surgery. It would save a lot of pain and needless hospital admissions. Julie

Some surgeons do.

In my time I spent researching bypass v sleeve, I found that gall bladder and pancreas problems are one of the many RNY complications .... and because of this *known* fact (well, surgeons know about it!) some surgeons DO choose to remove the gall bladder at the same time as the bypass.

Unfortunately this fact is not widely advertised, as if it was and RNY-ers were more informed before their surgery you could actually discuss it with your surgeon pre-op and see if your surgeon would consider doing it at the time of the op.

Hmmmmm.

There's quite a lot of things like that which they don't tell us / don't choose to offer pre-op and just let things happen on a "let's just hope for the best and see what happens" basis ..... and then only deal with the complications afterwards! :(

Hello im just back from the doctors and she gave me an ECG and blood pressure again i have been prescribed and anti spasmodic for my gallbladder incase its a stone i have also been refered to the cardiology clinic to rule out any heart problems and i am getting an ultrasound on my stomach gallbladder and surounding area.
thanks for your advice fingers crossed that doesnt happen again OUCH! im so scared to eat xx

Back