• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-Op Peeps

We've had some sad news on here, lately.

Would those peeps who have already had their ops please share the thoughts and feelings they had leading up to their surgery - including as you went down to theatre.

Whilst I know it's really what I want, I'd be lying if I denied having a few wobbles (no pun intended!) when I read about those people who experience problems (or worse).

I'd just like to know that my feelings are similar to those of everyone else.

Hope you can help :sigh:

tinkywinky

SOOO HAPPY to be a loser!
once i had made the decision for gastric band i was excited but also was worried about not waking up from anesthetic. wasnt worried at all about bleeding, infection or anything else.
i felt nervous and a bit tearful when saying goodnight to my daughter the night before op as i wouldnt see her until after op. When at hospital felt fine. said goodbye to husband (who was more worried than me ay this point) and walked to theatre. i did feel tearful down in theatre but I think that was due to having to wait for someone else to come in rather than just getting put to sleep.
After op had some pain and wind pain for a few days, however that was relieved by meds. I have no regrets whatsoever about my wls. Good luck to everyone who are due to have theirs.

Janeywanttoloosealot

We've had some sad news on here, lately.

Would those peeps who have already had their ops please share the thoughts and feelings they had leading up to their surgery - including as you went down to theatre.

Whilst I know it's really what I want, I'd be lying if I denied having a few wobbles (no pun intended!) when I read about those people who experience problems (or worse).

I'd just like to know that my feelings are similar to those of everyone else.

Hope you can help :sigh:

In my case i had more fear of the operation being cancelled than fear of the operation itself. My quality of life before the op was pretty much non existant so for me the fear of not havin g the op outwheighed the fear of having it. Can i just say that my thoughts and wishes go to the families of these two people. janey :D:D:D

looking forward

Having been overweight all my adult life, tried all diets . I just could not loose the weight. I researched WLS, I went for a consultation with THG and having spoken to the nurse who explained my BMI was dangerously high there was no going back.

I traveled to Birmingham ( from Dublin ). I had a very positive experience in the hospital. I can honestly say I was not nervous at all.I recovered very well.

The way I see it , if I hadn't had the surgery and given myself a chance for a better life. I could have major health issues before long.

I am very happy I had surgery, and have no regrets at all.

I'm sure you will make the right decision.Its one only you can make.

Good luck.

hopelesscase

At 11 i was rushed to theater with a burst appendix and the onset of septacimia. i was so poorly i didnt have chance to be scared, At 18 i had a tooth transplant and was relieved to be having a full set of top teeth instead of a gap where one of my teeth hadnt come through. At 25 after being unwell for 12 months i had my gallbladder removed i was just relieved to be going to theater to put an end to my suffering i have since had several other minor ops all requiring GA. I think because of my first experiance when i was 11 going to theater in so much pain and feeling so ill but then waking up feeling so much better having a GA has never bothered me. I had an op on my shoulder in the july prior to me having my bypass in the november and ended up staying in hospital for 2 nights because i had it done under a block as opposed to a GA and the block hadnt worn off. On the day of my Bypass i woke my son as i set off to the hospital said see you later. By the time i got to the hospital i was just excited to be there and hoping they had a bed for me.

Mynewlife

:eek:Hiya,

I have had a few surgeries over my life, gallbladder removed, and hysterectomy, but the most important one, and the scariest one was having my band fitted. I thought, I have finally made this decision to improve my life and my mental wellbeing (used to beat myself up on a daily basis about how fat I was). When I was getting ready to walk down to the theatre, I had a cry, I thought what happens if I die (obviously I wouldnt know about it, but you still think about it anyway). THe thought crossed my mind that I didnt want to go. I also had the two voices in my head. One saying "why are you putting yourself through this, you could die", and the other one, just said, Keep walking, you will be out the other side, dont be so stupid.

I have never regretted the surgery, I thought about dieing, thought about the death rate, and asked myself, will I be one of the statistics. But here I am, I wasnt one of the statistics, I am happier, healthier, and have probably increased my life expectancy a good few years. To me it was worth the risk.
MNL
:happy036:

salski

Hi - My bypass was the first op I had, and stupidly as it all came about soooo quick (within 3-4 months) I really didnt stop to think about the life threat with the surgery. I made a will the night before I went - ie a piece of paper with who was guna look after my hubby to be and my doggy on it! haha.
I never really considered the death part of things...even when I got to hospital in the morning and I had to say good bye to my partner....I just said I would see him in a few hours and that was that...even walking down to theatre I was sooo excited! Its odd what we all think and feel...but for me I was just so excited! haha...Im random!

thinkbethin

The 1st op date for my band was 20th april and I was nervous. The op got cancelled on the day and then was re-scheduled for the 18th of may. This time I was'nt nervous,scared or anything apart from excited and inpatient just wanting to get it over and done with. I think we have all in the time waiting for our ops, wondered if we're doing the right thing so I guess its a natural feeling of anxiety that we have.

phatgirl

I was very excited and nervous that I would get a serious complication but I never really feared death. Not really in my heart of hearts. I was pretty calm on the morning and just was excited to really be finally doing it after 18 months of waiting and preparing. Hubby had to leave shortly after I arrived at the hospital so I was alone while I waited which was ok, I was sooo calm! By the time I was called to surgery I had a bit of nervous energy so I practically skipped to theater and jumped up on the table. I honestly felt lucky and was happy to be there. My last thoughts before going under were that I hoped they gave me extra anesthetic since I woke up too soon during my only other surgery (tonsilectomy at age 14) and I hoped that they would be able to control my post-op pain since I was almost completely pain-med resistant (I could take handfulls of tramadol and still function as well as feel pain). Both fears worked out to be unwarranted since I had very little pain post-op which was well managed and I remember nothing of my surgery thank god!

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Hi, I thought about it all and had the nervous feelings after I got my date but was very calm when the week/day arrived I just knew this was what needed to happen. I was on my own before the op and was fine in the run up to the actual thing on the day just a little tense.

Hope it will all go well for you when the time comes.

M

Mixman

There were times when I used to cry on my own in the time coming up to the operation. It wasn't me that I was upset about, it was the thought of my girlfriend and the children being left without me. They had already lost 1 dad/stepdad due to him having an accident nearly 6 years ago, and here I was putting my self forward for a potential life threatening operation. I was upset at times because I was feeling very very selfish and had feelings I had let people down because I had allowed myself to gain so much weight.

But then the times I wasn't in a 'down' mood, all I could think about was the future. How happy we would all be when I was a 'normal' weight (God that sounds so wrong but unfortunately, it's life) and I could go riding the bikes with them, play football with them without the fear of getting rediculed, go swimming etc etc

These thoughts soon took over as I got closer and closer and I got the thumbs up from everybody telling me I had made the right decision!! Did I want to put myself at risk having this operation at a fairly young age (38) and lead a better life or do I want to continue to become more and more of a recluse, not wanting to be seen out etc etc and die young from a heart attack or other weight related 'diseases'?

No, I wanted to live the life I should have been living. Less than 1% chance of something going wrong was a risk I was more than willing to take for a more than 99% chance of having a better, more active enjoyable life!

I was excited the week or so before the operation, I wanted it done! The only time I wobbled was waving bye to mum when I went down to theatre!

Sorry if I sound blunt or very 'black and white' but I find it hard putting things down in type!

Last edited:

Sambucca

Fab post Mixman

LizzieBee

Loving being a loser!
I went through very similar thoughts to Mixman. My children lost their brother 2 years ago and there were times when I was consumed by feelings of guilt and selfishness. They were right behind me urging me on and did not for a moment let me know they were worried or that they had any reservations about the surgery. I also felt the shame at having allowed myself to risk my own health by gaining so much weight.
Two days before the surgery I did feel afraid but you have to look at what the benefits will be and weigh those against the risks. As Mixman says 99-1 for success are good odds.
I was rather giddy and excited saying goodbye to my best friend and one of my daughters before going down to theatre - but reality hit whilst I was sitting waiting outside theatre. When I lay on the gurney and my arm was laid on a board for the venflon to be inserted, the thought of 'Oh God, is this an op table or I am lying here waiting for a lethal injection?' I pushed those thoughts away with visions of healthy me and the huge possibilities that lay ahead. Just over one week on and the weight loss is already apparent! Pain is a minimum and I feel good.
To have worries is normal, I think to approach the surgery without thinking through all the possible outcomes would be naive.
Lots of luck to you and I hope your waiting passes quickly.
Lx :hug99:

markelsie

Hi.....Reading over the previous messages it's plain and simple we ALL had varying reasons/worries that's what makes us all unique.
For me once I had my done my research on the surgery and the impact and my little voices inside my head said "go for it" that was that.Due to probably like a lot of people who felt this op was there "Last Chance Saloon"...
Lucky or unlucky I have had 5 other non-weight op's from Back surgery - gallbladder so the actual op brought no worries for me and simply walked in and met the team and said "DO IT"....My journey began 8 days ago and already my emotions and thinking are at a new positive level..........So what ever YOUR concerned about I'm sure it's the right thing to do and "normal"...
Regards

Mark

hopelesscase

There were times when I used to cry on my own in the time coming up to the operation. It wasn't me that I was upset about, it was the thought of my girlfriend and the children being left without me. They had already lost 1 dad/stepdad due to him having an accident nearly 6 years ago, and here I was putting my self forward for a potential life threatening operation. I was upset at times because I was feeling very very selfish and had feelings I had let people down because I had allowed myself to gain so much weight.

But then the times I wasn't in a 'down' mood, all I could think about was the future. How happy we would all be when I was a 'normal' weight (God that sounds so wrong but unfortunately, it's life) and I could go riding the bikes with them, play football with them without the fear of getting rediculed, go swimming etc etc

These thoughts soon took over as I got closer and closer and I got the thumbs up from everybody telling me I had made the right decision!! Did I want to put myself at risk having this operation at a fairly young age (38) and lead a better life or do I want to continue to become more and more of a recluse, not wanting to be seen out etc etc and die young from a heart attack or other weight related 'diseases'?

No, I wanted to live the life I should have been living. Less than 1% chance of something going wrong was a risk I was more than willing to take for a more than 99% chance of having a better, more active enjoyable life!

I was excited the week or so before the operation, I wanted it done! The only time I wobbled was waving bye to mum when I went down to theatre!

Sorry if I sound blunt or very 'black and white' but I find it hard putting things down in type!

nothing blunt there max its very much from the heart
hc

Great post Mixman,
I think you make a really good point - there is less than a 1% chance of things going wrong - that means 99% chance of things going right.
I just hope that when my time comes I can be as rational with my thinking as I am now.

Thanks to you and to everyone for sharing their thoughts. It's really good to know that the fears I have are similar to those of everyone else.

Thank goodness for minis xxxxxxxxxx

ladybird_gal

Just added a post in a thread on 'wibbles'. I went through all your emotions WW. I've had a few ops over the years, and seem to worry more each time. Nevertheless, it has all been worth it. Everyone deals with the knowledge of 'problems' occurring during and after surgery in their own way. The medical staff point everything out before we sign our consent. They asked me up until the last minute if I was sure. But the staff were lovely. I feel lucky to have been wheeled on my bed to Theatre, when I know lots of people walk. I received good care after the surgery, and have had answers to questions on the phone in the months since I came home.
Yes I am so glad I had it done. x x

marky v

sounds exactly the same way i feel right now, i have worries, the GA does worry me a tad, i'd be lying if i said it didn't, you hear so much about 'larger' people having complications with GA's, but as Mixman says, the benefits of surgery far outway the risks, my only other worry is the risk of infection, ie MRSA, i'm having open surgery, not keyhole, my surgeon's prefered method, but luckily for me, i'm having it done in a clean(er) maybe, privet hospital, The Spire in Leeds, so feel a tad better about that, 2 minor worries, but in the back of mind all the same

wannaloose18stone

From The Black Country
In short I was terrified, I was prepaired not to come out the other side, I left my house in order just incase.
I'm nearly at my 12 months post op stage now though :)

tesmaralda

I had more worries and stress through the have I got funding or not and the pre ops. But once I had got to the stage of a date all those worries left me. I had 1 when I was locking the front door and pulling off the drive the I had to go to ward 11, that this could be the last time I lock the door or see my lovely drive. The 2nd was when my 10 year old daughter gave me a hug at the end of visiting time on the day before, She had tears in her eyes and I thought OMG she is thinking what I'm thinking I might never see her again and the last one was on the day of my op when I got down to theatre and was waiting to go into the anti room. What if my gall bladder removal went wrong, what if they don't do it cause my livers to fatty. Then Mr khan came out and said don't worry it's keyhole you'll be fine, put his arm round me and give me a big hug. The gas man's right hand man put me so much at ease that I soon forgot everything and in the 9 and half weeks since my op I have only ever had 1 day where I have thought omg what have I done this is a mistake, and that was 3 days after my op. It is so worth it