• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-oppers - what foods make you 'dump'

gillabean

Really living now!
What a lovely word is 'dump'!!! Anyway, I was wondering, after the op, after the liquid period and the mush period, will I be able to eat grapes? If sugar brings on the dumping sensation, what about natural sugars such as those in fruit? What other foods have made you dump?

Fruit is good - stay off oranges and pineapple and grapefruit for the first couple of months as they may be too acidic.

Also stay away from chocolate, sweets, cake, biscuits, icecream apart from minimilks, fizzy drinks, squashes unless they have no added sugar. All this will make you ill!

You will find that your tastebuds have probably gone haywire anyway so food will not taste as it should - it comes back, promise.

I have a friend who had a bypass in June and her main problem is with carbohydrates - anything remotely carb and she dumps for England - the hospital is trying to sort her out. Its rare so dont worry about it!

Alot of the time its trial and error Ime afraid. As what makes 1 person dump, another person could eat the same and they wouldnt dump. Some bypassers can eat anything with out the dumping syndrome like myself, but another bypasser could be extremely sensitive to the sugar and be realy poorly. Therefore it realy is trial & error.

It is defo trial and error I havent dumped on any food yet and I have had biscuits and sweets

I dont dump and i'm 15 months post bypass, nothing has ever made me dump ! i can and do eat anything i want.

I dont believe you should avoid foods, you need to know what makes you dump and what doesn't, dumping is unpleasant, but you need to know what causes it and what you can safely eat / avoid etc !
If you dont you'll always be wondering, and you cant live that way.

Just my opinion though.

As has been said everyone is different and different things affect different people in different ways. For the 1st 4 months I was highly sensitive to sugar and would dump on anything that was above my surgeons recommendation of 5g per 100g. Now at 24 weeks post op I am less sensitive and have had some alcohol, chocolate and the odd biscuit. Don't get me wrong its not something I am in the habit of doing but now and again in small quanities its ok.

I was told by my surgical team that having a bypass would mean that no food is off limits and that having something as a treat once in a while was fine.

I eat grapes all the time and I am fine :) however I dump when I eat something too fast or it is heavily laden in sugar but like everyone else has said, what makes me dump might not make you dump! Best of luck xxxxx

I eat grapes all the time and I am fine :) however I dump when I eat something too fast or it is heavily laden in non naturally occuring sugar but like everyone else has said, what makes me dump might not make you dump! Best of luck xxxxx

Nearly 12 months on i have never dumped but saying that i havent had anything that should make me dump. i stick to the no more than 5g of fat or sugar per 100g and have never felt that i am missing out on anything. My tastes have changed sooo much and the thought of anything sweet or fatty just doesnt do it for me. I eat all fruits without any problems.
HTH
carole

I still dump quite easily, but I know my limits well and stick within them. One that causes me problems is refined carbs, as the body converts them straight to sugar, so I dump approx 30-60 minutes after eating them instead of 10-15 minutes with straight sugar. So things like pizza, white bread, pastry etc.

Banana's, fruit juice and pastry. All three of these have made me dump. In fact I have to read the labels on everything and be very careful or I will suffer and I tend to stay well clear of anything that might set me off.

Some people are a lot more sensitive than others I'm told.

im loving this thread lol

i only had mine 7 days ago and i havnt yet dumped but this is great im quite scarerd p dumping

I haven't dumped on anything really other than eggs which I tried 5 weeks post op and haven't tried since! Twice was enough thank you very much! I eat more or less what I want but in much smaller quantities. I even manage spicy foods too which is great for me.

Back