• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things to have at home ready for post op?

top_kat

Hi everyone,

8 days to go OMG lol

Im just looking for some help from the experienced banders. I am due to have my surgery next thursday, and am just getting prepared so that I have everything at home that I need afterwards with not being able to drive etc.

Am just wondering, are there any things in particular that you recommend that I should have waiting? I've bought some dulcolase as my milk diet has given me some problems the past couple of days, but am just wondering whether I should be prepared with any extra pain relief or anything else.

Have got some soups, hope to get chance to make some this weekend for the freezer, but anything else that you had post surgery which was a godsend? Foodwise, med wise? general wise?

Any help/info gratefully received :)

TIA, Kat x

I was sent home with infacol for the wind pain - thankfully never needed it so I don't know if it works or not, Lactulose (stool softener) - not needed it yet either, effervesent paracetamol/codeine - not used as I hallucinate on codeine, and forceval vitamins.

As to food, I lived on soups and high protein milk, (4tbsp of marvel milk powder mixed with 1 pint of skimmed milk - 1.5 pints consumed daily), mainly but my diet menu also allowed me 200mls of fruit/vegetable juice twice a day for the first 7 days.

Now I'm on mushy foods - Soups with mashed potato are my favourite at the moment with porridge in the morning.

Have you got a post op diet sheet yet? if you have that should list everything your provider reccomends you to have. Post op dietry advice does vary so I can only tell you what I had on the liquid stage, for 2 weeks post op other than soups:

Smoothies - innocent ones in a carton are an ideal size
Ready made slim fast
No added sugar squash
Plenty of milk for tea, coffee and milk shakes

I was given dissolvable pain killers to take home but was fine without them. I did however take some of my daughters 6+ calpol and nurofen - I was worried about taking tablets!

Good luck xx

Hi Tia, I had slimfasts, more soups than Heinz! cup a soups, fruit flavoured teas, various squashes - NAS - of course! Some smoothies, and smooth Mullerlights. I also got Adcal chewable calcium tablets and chewable multi vitamins. To be honest I wasn't very hungry for the first week and didn't have as much as I probably should, however my appetite has improved on mushy stage and although I only have 1.5ml in a 14ml band, I don't want to eat anywhere near what I used to. Hope this helps, Liz xx

Thanks everyone. I've bought some soups today and I've even made a nice big pot of my own which Im freezing, and I have a stock of yoghurts.

I have my post op booklet which breaks down the things foodwise, was thinking more in terms of things for wind and pain lol

:)

Towards the end of the two weeks when I was nearing mushy stage, I had Danone mini deserts (not healthy :rolleyes:) and fromage frais. Purely because they were smooth, kid size/teeny portions and gave me some much needed energy. I was so sick of liquids at end of my two weeks I got my husband to drive me to a McDonald's to get a mcflurry .... And I NEVER go there normally. It didn't send me of track tho :D

Mint tea and peppermint cordial to hep relieve any wind pain ...

Back