• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diets for WLS, what is yours and how was it really?

milky diet

wow well done to you, did u lose the 95lb in the month or have u done another diet, i get weight wednesday and cannot wait, i have had no headaches just board of milk, today is day 9 and i find i am missing the chewing sensation, alsoa little bunged up if u catch my meaning,thanks:rolleyes:

wow well done to you, did u lose the 95lb in the month or have u done another diet, i get weight wednesday and cannot wait, i have had no headaches just board of milk, today is day 9 and i find i am missing the chewing sensation, alsoa little bunged up if u catch my meaning,thanks:rolleyes:
bet you'vost loads i lost 10lb in 6 days so u must be sure for a good loss look forward to hearing how you have done

hiya will let you know wed evening, cannot wait, i wondered how long i should keep this up, also i am worried about starting on food again.. is this normal X+

I didn't have to follow any pre-op diet but I think I am in the minority. Guess I was lucky as it does seem to be the norm apparently

I did not have to follow any pre op diet ,but not after a lot of confusion:(,

Was told by coordinator(who i may say is the only thing that let the company down!!) to do milk and yogurt and then in the same breath 1000cals.

Following day by coordinates to do 1000calls, but 5 Min's later by surgeon not to bother just not to gain weight as my bmi is not as high as some others and i dont have diabetes.

5 Min's later to be told i should be worried and should stick to 1000calls (by same coordinator who lets company down).

Ended up with me just being healthy and losing a few pounds and worrying allot but in the end no problems everything went well for the op just after that was the problem lol.

Going in for gastric bypass next week with Mr. Ammori so I am on the low cal, low carb diet much like the one that Shel posted but I have fruit & veg as desired and only allowed 1/3 pint of semi skim milk. I am on day 8 and still hungry most of the time. I think my meds may be making my sugar too low (diabetes) so I feel kinda tired, week & fuzzy headed. I do have a couple of tips I want to share that break the bordom.

1) take a single serving of low fat/low sugar plain yougurt and divide it into 2. You can add your 2 tsps of low cal dressing at lunch to it and make a 'dip' of sorts for raw vegg. For dinner, you can add the second serving to your tiny potato or mash it into the potato with some dry herbs. Plain yogurt also is a nice addition to tinned tuna with a tiny bit brown mustard.

2) for a nice lunch, split a small pita or 1/2 a large pita, scape on the tiny bit of butter you are allowed, toast for a couple of minutes then add sliced tomatoes that you have sprinkled with dry italian herbs & black pepper, top it all with 2 oz grated low fat cheese and let it get bubbly in a hot oven for 5 mins - you'll feel like you are dinning out!

I have some more tricks if anyone is interested, let me know.

good luck with the pre op diet and i hope all goes well with the operation, will think of u and one day it will b me thanks for everything xxx

Going in for gastric bypass next week with Mr. Ammori so I am on the low cal, low carb diet much like the one that Shel posted but I have fruit & veg as desired and only allowed 1/3 pint of semi skim milk. I am on day 8 and still hungry most of the time. I think my meds may be making my sugar too low (diabetes) so I feel kinda tired, week & fuzzy headed. I do have a couple of tips I want to share that break the bordom.

1) take a single serving of low fat/low sugar plain yougurt and divide it into 2. You can add your 2 tsps of low cal dressing at lunch to it and make a 'dip' of sorts for raw vegg. For dinner, you can add the second serving to your tiny potato or mash it into the potato with some dry herbs. Plain yogurt also is a nice addition to tinned tuna with a tiny bit brown mustard.

2) for a nice lunch, split a small pita or 1/2 a large pita, scape on the tiny bit of butter you are allowed, toast for a couple of minutes then add sliced tomatoes that you have sprinkled with dry italian herbs & black pepper, top it all with 2 oz grated low fat cheese and let it get bubbly in a hot oven for 5 mins - you'll feel like you are dinning out!

I have some more tricks if anyone is interested, let me know.

Thanks for these tips I hope to be doing the same pre op as you when funding approved and its always helpful to have any tips, keep them coming....good luck for your op and look after Mr Ammori I dont want him warn out and needing a holiday before he gets to me...lol...xx

This was mine, for 3 weeks....

Food
4 ALLOWED
7 AVOID
Biscuits & cakes
Plain Meringues (without cream)
All other biscuits and cakes
Bread & cereals
Fat free crispbreads e.g. "No-No"
All breads and cereals
Sweets, confectionery & nuts
Boiled sweets, fruit gums, fruit pastilles, mints, ice lollies, Marshmellows
All other sweets, chocolate, and nuts
Dairy products
Skimmed milk or dried skimmed milk (make up with water), fat free yoghurt & fromage frais,virtually fat free cottage cheese
All other dairy foods.
Eggs
Egg whites only
Eggs
Meat
All meat
Drinks
tea, coffee, fruit squash, fruit juice, water,
Fish
All fish

Food
4 ALLOWED
7 AVOID
Fruit
All varieties (fresh, frozen,
tinned or
dried)
Avocado, figs
Pasta
Rice Noodles
All pasta & Rice
Preserves & Spreads
Sugar, jam, honey, marmalade, golden syrup, treacle, marmite
All other preserves and spreads e.g. lemon curd, peanut butter, nut butters, chocolate nut spread
Puddings
Jelly, sorbet, tapioca (made with skimmed milk powder)
All other puddings, custard etc
Sauces & Soups
Tomato ketchup, vinegar.
All other soups and sauces
Vegetables
All vegetables
Including: plain boiled potatoes, jacket potatoes (no fat added)
All pulses, olives
Alcoholic Beverages
All alcoholic beverages

I lost 10lbs on this.

My pre-op diet is 3 pints semi-skimmed milk and 2 low fat healthy eating yoghurts ie mullerlights with approx >60kc/100gms

also any other none sugar/low cal drink i want including tea, coffee, diluted fruit juice, squash

now in day 4 of it, not feeling hungry, about evening time i do start to feel tired and a bit hungry which is when i have my 2nd yoghurt of the day, helps me then to sleep

Thought i would share this with you all

Day nine of my milk diet, and now got no energy, weight has not come off for the last 3 days, and a foul taste constantly in my mouth.

Called the dietitian, who checked and the foul taste is from all the milk i am drinking, not everyone gets this but i seem to have.

The lack of energy is where my body has now gone into 'starvation mode' and if i were to continue on this diet for a few more weeks i would again start losing weight

I have read everyones different pre-op diets...if i can get my surgery and i have to do the pre-op diet...i really dont know what to choose. I am guessing that the doctor will give me some sort of plan?

Yep most docs have a specific one they like, also you can ask your dietician if you have any special needs.:):)

most surgeons have a prefered method, and usually say that one but they do take into acount diety requiements ie diabeties ect so its worth discussing at your pre-op appointment

I cant physically drink anthing made from powder i.e. slimfast would this go against me or would i "have to" drink it ?
Thanks
Helen

I'm on the liquid pre op diet. I'm allowed 4 weight watcher soups per day 4 low cal no sugar yogurts a day 1 pint of milk a day. But I can substitute a herbalife shake for 2 soups or 2 yogurts in a day as I only have dairy milk in tea. The shake is with rice milk-lactose intolerant. I have done this before. it's horrible. I have never been so hungry in my life. It's so strange how some surgeons actually allow real food while others make you stick to milk. I think the idea mainly is 1,000 calories per day. I wish I was allowed toast. :sigh:
Oh forgot to say, I need to take 2 multivitamins a day and I've found a great thing. They are hartley's low calorie jellies. Less than 10 calories per pot and no gelatine so suitable for veggis. 3 flavours, my favourite is blackcurrant and blueberry.

Last edited:
I'm on the liquid pre op diet. I'm allowed 4 weight watcher soups per day 4 low cal no sugar yogurts a day 1 pint of milk a day. But I can substitute a herbalife shake for 2 soups or 2 yogurts in a day as I only have dairy milk in tea. The shake is with rice milk-lactose intolerant. I have done this before. it's horrible. I have never been so hungry in my life. It's so strange how some surgeons actually allow real food while others make you stick to milk. I think the idea mainly is 1,000 calories per day. I wish I was allowed toast. :sigh:
Oh forgot to say, I need to take 2 multivitamins a day and I've found a great thing. They are hartley's low calorie jellies. Less than 10 calories per pot and no gelatine so suitable for veggis. 3 flavours, my favourite is blackcurrant and blueberry.
Hi D D lol hows the pre op diet going?? I can you are also a London based gal so where you having your op done nhs or private I am under the whittington waiting to see surgeon now i have had all my assessments.....long drawn out thing isnt it lol Jude

This is my pre-op diet from The Weight Loss Surgery Group...Im having a band - and Im only on day 2 lol

All patients who are about to undergo WLS must follow a strict Low calorie diet for at least 7 days before their procedure (you may chose to start earlier 10-14 days) We recommend a liquid pre-operative diet based on shakes and soups from the Slimfast range. you can also consume fruit and most vegetables.

By using the Slimfast meal replacements it mean that we can really control your calorie intake before surgery it also removes decision anxiety on your part.

by following a low calorie liquid diet you will
  • reduce the size of your liver which will make you surgeons task easier
  • be prepared (physically and psychologically) for the fluids only stage of the post -op nutritional plan (remember for 2-3 weeks after surgery you will be having fluids only)
  • you may even loose a few pounds before you have surgery - a great way to start your weight loss journey.
7 day pre-operative diet

Breakfast - 1 Slimfast ready to drink shake or smoothie

Lunch - 1 Slimfast ready to drink shake or smoothie

Dinner Slimfast soup ((these don't seem to be being produced anymore so I am making my own clear soup chicken and veg))

snacks 1 additional Slimfast shake/smoothie/soup

You should also consume 3-5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day these can be with any meal or as snacks

A portion ?
  • 1 piece of fruit apple pear banana
  • 2 plums
  • 2 Clementine's
  • 80g dried mixed fruit
  • 80g dried weight vegetables (NOT POTATOES)
  • cereal bowl of green salad
Drinking
you can drink as much water and low cal fluids (less than 3 cals serving) as you like including tea and coffee (with a splash of skimmed milk) before and after surgery you should aim to drink 1.5-2litres of water / fluid a day.
After surgery we strongly recommend you avoid fizzy drinks for at least the first 3 months after surgery these can cause pain and discomfort from trapped wind. You should wean yourself off fizzy drinks during the pre-op stage.

Vitamin and mineral supplements

during the pre-op stage it would be a good idea to get into the habit of taking a multivitamin&mineral supplement. you should ensure your supplement of choice contains B-vitamins, Iron, Calcium and zinc.

hope this helps:D

My pre op diet:
3 pints of skimmed milk
2 yoghurts
one stock cube
Alternatively, 2 pints, 2 yoghurts and 1 slimfast

Couldn't believe it when i saw it. However, it hasn't been that difficult with support of friends and family.
On my 8th day only 3 days to go. Yippee

I'm on day 7 of 11 of my pre-op diet. I'm having the Slimfast shakes, fruit and veg.
Day 2 i dropped 6lbs overnight....since then NOTHING!! A little depressing! Especially as i'm really hungry, with ocassional dizzy spells, i thought the weight would be falling off me! :(
I'm due for my period on the day of the banding (fabulous timing!)...I'm craving sugar!
I'm soooo excited about getting banded. :)

Back