• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op lsd fail!

mizkirsty

Ive failed ive eaten 2 biscuits! I'm so scared they won't go ahead with my op on thur!

I've lost 9lbs so far!

What do you think? Will they cancel my op?
Xx

Firstly calm down hunni, don't go making matters any worse......go to bed get a good nights sleep and start afresh in the morning .... be sure to give your providers a ring in the morning and let them know whats happened and see what they say, but don't go blowing it anymore tonight, and certainly don't dwell on it x x x x push it to the back of your mind stress will only send you in to a tail spin ............. huge hugs x x x x x

The LSD is very difficult and I am sure that many cheat on it. I did a little, but all you need to do is get back on the proverbial horse and stick to the LSD strictly these last few days. I am sure everything will be okay if you have not been constantly cheating.

Good luck for Thursday.

The LSD is very difficult and I am sure that many cheat on it. I did a little, but all you need to do is get back on the proverbial horse and stick to the LSD strictly these last few days. I am sure everything will be okay if you have not been constantly cheating. Good luck for Thursday.

No I haven't constantly cheated. Just that slip!

It's so stupid and I regret it but I'm so worried they'll say my liver is too big! :( lol

Xx

Firstly calm down hunni, don't go making matters any worse......go to bed get a good nights sleep and start afresh in the morning .... be sure to give your providers a ring in the morning and let them know whats happened and see what they say, but don't go blowing it anymore tonight, and certainly don't dwell on it x x x x push it to the back of your mind stress will only send you in to a tail spin ............. huge hugs x x x x x

I've been 100% for the 24hrs following the biscuits. I'm on nights so up overnight!

X

Not to worry my dear.... 2 biscuits won't make your liver any different than it will be on the day of surgery... Tomorrow is a new day.... Try not to make that mistake again..Stay on track as of now and all the best with ŷour op....x

No, they won't cancel....deep breath. Think about it logically, the bypass/ most wls ops, are actually like a few elective surgery like gastrectomy or an Ivor Lewis (both done for CA) none of these ops have a 'pre-diet) even if these patients are over weight, but they are known as high risk procedures.

So to ensure 'we' are as safe as possible.....we need to ensure we do everything we can, it also shows we can 'do' this...(as in post op diet etc).......so don't beat yourself up, mine was a 9lb loss to, but it's more to do with glycogen then lbs lost (even though I to was gutted!)......get back on it and breath.......xxxx

we all have had slip ups on the LSD no ever said it was easy but at least you didn't think ,blow this im having a curry/chips whatever floats your boat! so well done for only having 2 biscuits! just dust yourself off and start over again and remind yourself you have already got rid of 9lbs so again well done you

Thanks everyone.

That's really helped. Ops tomorrow. Off to bed (I work nights! So when I wake up it'll be night before surgery!!!

:O

Xx

we all have had slip ups on the LSD no ever said it was easy but at least you didn't think ,blow this im having a curry/chips whatever floats your boat! so well done for only having 2 biscuits! just dust yourself off and start over again and remind yourself you have already got rid of 9lbs so again well done you

Erm , that's just not true at all.

I didn't slip up on my pre op diet and it isn't the norm or to be expected. I didn't lose any weight either but thats besides the point.

Surgeons can and do refuse to do ops if the liver is too large to move.

Its always best to stick 100% to the plan you are given, no one wants six scars and no band/bypass/sleeve :eek:

mizkirsty, phone your provider to put your mind at rest, no point in worrying unduly x

No we didn't all do so at all. And what Mazza says above with regards to ops being cancelled does happen. It isn't the norm, and it's not to be expected.

Mizkirsty, It's not easy, but there's also the thought that if you're not able to stick to these guidelines how will you be with the guidelines post op?

Are you in the right place? Is this the right time? Worth thinking about and getting whatever support you need before taking the next step or making sure you have it for after. It's not an easy journey.

I would third that.

Like many of the most successful post ops I know, cheating on my preop was something I did not dare to do and in my experience those who do cheat need to do some real soul searching as to whether they need some more support/changes in their environment to help them be successful in losing and maintaining the weightloss.

I do agree you should try not to worry and ring your team in the morning, but I don't think the 'I cheated too, so you'll be fine' brand of advice is realistic or helpful.

Unlike other surgeries on overweight people, if the liver is too large these operations cannot be performed and the surgeon will refuse to operate as it is too dangerous. A large liver also puts at risk of additional bleeding.

Ok maybe I used the word "all" instead of "some" but I have read on here of people saying about hic ups while on the lsd and asking for support and its been given so I dont think im wrong in saying that for those who have been successful in sticking to the lsd well done for those who have slipped remeber why your putting yourself though sometime like the surgery in the first place and that not sticking to it can lead to the op been cancelled I personally have not read of that happening yet it doesnt mean that it has not im just not aware of that
I have read of op been cancelled due to things like illness emergencies at the hospital or people getting worried
regards

Over the years we have had members who have been opened up and closed up again with no op. That's why I feel that I am in a position to say it can happen.

Occasionally members don't follow their pre op diet and then ask for reassurance that all will be ok. Being supportive is one thing but saying everything will be ok is not something us mere mortals are qualified to say.

It's hard sticking to the pre op diet but after the op, there are stages which are just as strict and also MUST be followed as medical advice dictates.

This kind of thread always results in this type of discussion and I appreciate you are trying to be kind but its important to remember none of us are medical experts. WLS is a last resort for most of us and ONLY a member from a bariatric team can say no harm done.

Perhaps I shouldn't have written fail - I have followed it. Except the one slip - I've not been cheating everyday and I certainly didn't binge. I don't pretend to be perfect and I'm sure I will slip again in the future.

And even chatting with my wl team they've said noones expected to be perfect that's unrealistic.

I don't personally understand the preop diet working in a hospital - we do laprascopic surgeries daily which do not require a preop diet or shrinkage of the liver. And I've read that some places don't even require it.

But I understand it's a requirement from my surgeon. But as I said I don't understand it. So having stuck to it otherwise will I have undone all those other days with two biscuits was more my question!

I am in the right headspace as usually a small slip leads to a big binge. I've resisted multiple other foods and refrained from cheating again. I slipped, I feel awfully guilty but I've done it and I can't undo it. :(

But Thankyou all for your comments! I appreciate any kind of response so Thankyou xxx

And although it's 800-1000 cals a day I've had less than 800 everyday! X

Ok, so you are on a 800-1,000 calorie a day pre op diet. You didn't mention that in your original post but you did mention failing and worrying the op wouldn't go ahead.

The purpose of the liver shrink diet is to shrink your liver, as it will need to be handled during the operation. This might not be the case for all lap ops but it is for bariatric ones.

Larger people tend to have larger livers, the diet should deplete the liver of glycogen to shrink it making it easier to move and less prone to being damaged.

Diets do vary but the main ethos is less carbs. 800-1,000 calories is pretty standard, for a band anyway but usually its a meal replacement, to stop slip ups.

As I said in my first reply, we can't tell you that it the slip up will have undone anything but lets hope everything is ok.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Yes sorry I don't think I worded it properly. I think I was mid panic.

Well I'm out of theatre and all was ok :) xx

Back