• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private Bypass

I know that Amir Khan from Walsall Manor does private operations, not at the Manor though its somewhere nr Lichfield I think because Fiona was telling me that she was his scrub nurse at the private hospital.

I tried googling but couldn't find any details. It might be worth having a look at him because not only is his success rate is very high but he is one of the few surgeons that has a reasonably good experienced aftercare team and he's nearer to you. I'd check him out.

You guys are the best. I gave my husband the quotes for the op and he didn't scream or pass out which is improvement. He asked me to wait a few weeks just to make sure his contract is extended at work and if so we can book it up. Yay!

Just thought I'd chip in with a word about my surgeon Mr Ameet Patel (so charming, good looking and totally caring) who might be a good compromise. He works privately from either the Princess Grace (private hosp) in London or (for a lot less money) in King's College (i.e. NHS) where you stay in the Guthrie ward which is what they call their International/Private wing. It's not as plush as totally private, but you do get your own room, and all the perks of seeing Mr P privately, no hoops to jump through, and operation arranged to suit your convenience.

He has an excellent reputation and is renowned for his skill as a surgeon. Plus he possibly saved my life as I went in for a bypass and he did an endoscopy under anesthetic before staring the procedure, whereupon he discovered I had severe stomach ulcers, which I had had no symptoms of. If they had not been discovered and had ruptured I could have bled to death! Anyway, the bypass isn't good for people prone to ulcers, so the operation was stopped, and I returned a few weeks later to have the Sleeve Gastrectomy op.

Because the operation was cancelled the first time I was only in one night, but not only did neither Mr P or the anesthetist charge me, but he persuaded King's to charge me less. The great advantage of it all is that he is a very big cheese at King's and has access to all their facilities e.g. Intensive Care, C.T. scans etc should they be needed, which no private hospital has.

Anyway, he's worth a look - londonwls.co.uk

Just thought I'd chip in with a word about my surgeon Mr Ameet Patel (so charming, good looking and totally caring) who might be a good compromise. He works privately from either the Princess Grace (private hosp) in London or (for a lot less money) in King's College (i.e. NHS) where you stay in the Guthrie ward which is what they call their International/Private wing. It's not as plush as totally private, but you do get your own room, and all the perks of seeing Mr P privately, no hoops to jump through, and operation arranged to suit your convenience.

He has an excellent reputation and is renowned for his skill as a surgeon. Plus he possibly saved my life as I went in for a bypass and he did an endoscopy under anesthetic before staring the procedure, whereupon he discovered I had severe stomach ulcers, which I had had no symptoms of. If they had not been discovered and had ruptured I could have bled to death! Anyway, the bypass isn't good for people prone to ulcers, so the operation was stopped, and I returned a few weeks later to have the Sleeve Gastrectomy op.

Because the operation was cancelled the first time I was only in one night, but not only did neither Mr P or the anesthetist charge me, but he persuaded King's to charge me less. The great advantage of it all is that he is a very big cheese at King's and has access to all their facilities e.g. Intensive Care, C.T. scans etc should they be needed, which no private hospital has.

Anyway, he's worth a look - londonwls.co.uk

I know I gelled straight away with him at the group meeting...

Thank you Flibber for instilling even more confidence in him than I already had.

(((hugs)))

I would hang in with the NHS FL... You'd be 10k better off!

Both surgeons at Heartlands do private work at the well known spire as you maybe aware.

It's all the same opps so I think that dr was talking out of his bum!!

Once we get past this 5-10% (i've been told it's been moved to 10%) weight loss nonsence we will be ok as both the surgeons are pleasant.

As I mentioned before lots of procedures have been placed at Heartlands now for wls, it's just our luck that we are 2 of those being put through this.

I certainly wouldn't take out a loan at this time with the way the jobs are, but if you can afford to do that then it's your choice.

It's only taken you a month to lose 5%? I've not even got close to mine as I can't exercise because of my knees so it's coming off really slowly. It might only take you another month?

Sorry for going on... Wish you luck in which way you decide to go with this. x

I guess I cannot get past Heartlands 95% failure rate with obesity surgery. That is huge to me. Plus, they keep moving the goal posts. If I lose the 10% from last Thursday's weight (not the original weight at Heartlands) then I will not qualify under NICE guidelines. I verified three times that they want the 10% from Thursday's weight and not last months.

The doctor I saw told me that surgery before next summer wouldn't happen. Plus when he gave me someother stats from Heartlands, my husband wasn't pleased. And the people there are incredibly rude. The woman was talking openly about me, in front of me, about my complaint. It should have been confidential but obviously wasn't.

I met too many people who have been fighting with Heartlands for the last year and still keep getting the goal posts moved. If it were as easy a losing the weight, then I wouldn't be complaining.

I guess I cannot get past Heartlands 95% failure rate with obesity surgery. That is huge to me. Plus, they keep moving the goal posts. If I lose the 10% from last Thursday's weight (not the original weight at Heartlands) then I will not qualify under NICE guidelines. I verified three times that they want the 10% from Thursday's weight and not last months.

Hi FL

What on earth did he mean by 95% failure? This, as we all know is just not true....that's like saying that 95% of bypassers (or others) remain obese...We only have to look on Mini's to see this is not true...My surgeons registrar said that WLS does not work for between 5 and 10% of patients...(I was surprised at that) but what your doctor is saying is the complete reverse to that.

You did start to work with your patient liaison officers...can you not tell them that you feel you are being messed about with?

I hope you get this sorted out, but I can understand that at least going private will put you on your journey far quicker.

(((hugs)))

So sorry you have been messed about FL, hope you manage to get the op done privately and be on your way to a slimmer you. Good luck.

Hi there,

I have been reading your posts and felt sorry for you and the way you have ben treated.

I had my op done on the nhs and to be honest i had no problems at all. I had my op done within 8 weeks of first being referred by my GP and i had the wonderful Mr Amorri at The Alexandra in Cheadle (nhs op but at the private hospital, as others have said, more like a hotel than a hospital).

I did not have the option of paying privately for mine but if i was to suggest anything then it would be to make sure you read up enough info about each surgeon in the area (depending on how far you are willing to travel) and the hospital and aftercare process too.

As i say i was extremely lucky with the nhs and in my area it seems it is one of the easiest to get a referral and then a date for the op as i know a couple of other people who have gone for the same op since mine and it has taken less than 4 months from referral to op.

I really hope you get something sorted sooner rather than later....and as for the comment about 95% of patients failing.....that is so not true....as Mr Amorri told me.....out of approx 1000 gasrtic ops he had done just prior to mine in Jan this year only one of those failed and that was due to the patient not taking on board the advice of the dieticians and taking it slowly with liquids and foods after the op.

Hope ive not babble too much but given you some help hopefully.

Best of luck xxx

The doctor said that Heartlands patients have a 95% failure rate and those are ones that gain the weight back within a few years. This failure rate is one of the reasons all of these new hurdles are in place. Who knows what is true there anymore. The story changes with each visit.

I just don't see how I can trust them when they don't seem to have a clue. The rudeness is appalling. I am just really angry right now. I keep getting pushed from pillar to post.

The doctor said that Heartlands patients have a 95% failure rate and those are ones that gain the weight back within a few years. This failure rate is one of the reasons all of these new hurdles are in place. Who knows what is true there anymore. The story changes with each visit.

I just don't see how I can trust them when they don't seem to have a clue. The rudeness is appalling. I am just really angry right now. I keep getting pushed from pillar to post.

I really do feel for you....They should not be allowed to get away with it.

At least you won't have to face them again if you go private...stay on the list though!

(((hugs)))

Hiya
Just thought I'd let you know that I'm another Mr Amori fan! I went privately with Surgicare . I had a free consultation with Mr Amori on 13th December and had my op on the 27th Dec on a saturday morning and was home sunday afternoon. It cost about £10k but was worth every penny! I haven't had any pain/problems/discomfort at all and the aftercare from Surgicare has been fab - it's definitely worth checking everything that is included in the private package as aftercare is really important . Some companies are cheaper but then they leave you high and dry or they charge for everything afterwards. (I don't work for them!!)
Good luck with your journey - you won't regret it!!
xx

It's taken 3 weeks from deciding to go for it, to operation date, 5 Sept. Mr Ammori in Manchester. He also operates in Birmingham. I'm going through Healthier weight, they seem very good. £60 for a consult, refundable if you go ahead, £1k to confirm appointment, £9.5 k balance payable before the op. They even arranged the previous nights stay in hospital free, so I wouldn't be racing across country at the crack of dawn or having to stay in a hotel for the first night.

Hope this helps.

ive just read your thread and im so sorry youve been treated so bad. it would have put me off that place compleatly and i wouldnt want to go there for love or money. im having mine at salford royal on the NHS with the amazing mr ammori its taken about a year from first seeing my GP but it will soon be over. they have got another surgon in to ease his workload and i could probably had it done now but ive got so much confidence in mr ammori that i think it will be worth the wate . is there not another hospital you could be refared to as i thought you could chose now. best of luck in watever you decide to do .............kath x

That sounds appalling - and from everything I have read (and I have read a LOT - haven't we all:rolleyes:) it isn't actually TRUE!

OK, we all know that WLS isn't the magic bullet and a lot (ie most) people don't lose 100% of their excess weight without real determination but, on a pure economics basis, if the failure rate was that high then THE NHS JUST WOULDN'T FUND IT AT ALL!!!!!!!!! (Look at all the stories there are in the papers about NICE refusing to fund new but expensive "wonder cures" for cancer and other life destroying illnesses because the limited success rate does not justify the cost. They have to be hard not emotional and they would not justify the NHS funding expensive surgery if only 1 in 20 benefitted.)

Good luck (and hopefully not to far in the future you will be able to flaunt your new body at this rude Dr - it would almost be worth having saggy skin if you could wobble your bingo wings under his nose :D)

TillyBob

Thank you all. I am still complaining to the hospital as regardless, even without taking my case into account, they have to fix their broken system. And no one has a right to treat patients like second class citizens.

Back