• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Privately funded - inital consultation

ali28

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site but have been a member on minimins for a while. I'm now at the point where due to numerous health conditions weight loss surgery seems the only real option in order to lose approx 10 stone and lead a healthier life.

I'm going to see the bariatric nurse at Spire Fylde Coast, Blackpool, and was just wondering what to expect really. My appointment is at 2 tomorrow afternoon.

What were your experiences? How long til you had an appointment with the consultant, and then the surgery? Did you change your mind about surgery altogether?

Anything on what to expect would be useful ?

Ali x

Welcome, Ali!

I'm sorry I can't offer any helpful information but hope someone else can.

Just wanted to say hi, good luck for tomorrow and be sure to let us all know how you got on xxx

Hi,
I had my consultation through Skype with the surgeon - and paid for this.

They'll talk to you about your eating habits and discuss the options available to you, or best suits your needs.
I asked for a sleeve operation and the surgeon deemed this suitable.

My meeting with the nurse was not that detailed really. Useful to meet her though.

I had my operation at a date suitable for me. I also had my operation at a Spire hospital and was happy with the card I received.
No regrets for me.
Good luck.

Hello Ali28
just popped up to say hi and hoped all went well with your meeting

I had a free taster session back in March thinking I would have band. Was only a 15 min consultation, but came out thinking Sleeve is what I would get. It was a thursday evening and I was adamant it was for me.

However on the Friday morning decided, nope I don't need to spend all that money, I can do it alone. I can do food replacement shakes (again) and succeed.

Well, come June I had put on an extra stone and regret my indecisiveness. I made an immediate appointment for 2 days later for a proper appointment and went away convinced that it was the right decision.

The surgeon said that appointments were fully booked until Aug, however he has managed to squeeze me in on July 23rd.

So yes, to answer your question I did initially decide no, but then became a yes. My only regret is that I didin't do this back in March.

However, only you will know what is right for you.

Good luck

Thank you for your replies, always good to hear about other peoples experiences.

My consultation with the nurse went really well I'm happy to say. I had my dad with me for support and was glad he was there. The nurse took all my details and went through my eating habits, it's surprising how it's not something you really think about in too much detail and then quite suddenly it's all out in the open, so to speak, and I realised wow! My diet truly is rubbish!

We talked through the different diets I've tried in the past, and problems I've had in maintaining weight loss in the past due to lack of exercise and not knowing when I'm full. My mobility is limited by rheumatoid arthritis unfortunately, I used to go to the gym but found I was in agony with a flare for a few days after, by which time I've eaten everything in the cupboards because there's bugger all else to do when you can't really do anything.

Ultimately the nurse suggested either a sleeve or bypass, but with the risks associated with bypass, and the long term medication I don't think its for me, so I'm 100% certain a sleeve is the way to go.

Have spent the last few days weighing up the pros and cons, doing research on the surgeon and talking to my partner about it (he works away through the week hence my dad coming with me).

I've contacted the hospital to set up a meeting with the surgeon, Mr Decadt, and go to see him in 2 weeks!

How soon after the surgeon consultation have people had their op?

Thanks in advance, and thank you again for replying to my initial post :) x

Yaaassssss!

I'm so chuffed for you. Sounds like it went great. And lovely that you had your dad with you.

I think I'm in denial about my diet and am not looking forward to having to face it head-on but as you say, only good things can come out of it in the end.

It's great that having had the information you have an option you are happy with.

Fingers crossed that op day will be here before you know it :) xxx

Thank you for your replies, always good to hear about other peoples experiences. My consultation with the nurse went really well I'm happy to say. I had my dad with me for support and was glad he was there. The nurse took all my details and went through my eating habits, it's surprising how it's not something you really think about in too much detail and then quite suddenly it's all out in the open, so to speak, and I realised wow! My diet truly is rubbish! We talked through the different diets I've tried in the past, and problems I've had in maintaining weight loss in the past due to lack of exercise and not knowing when I'm full. My mobility is limited by rheumatoid arthritis unfortunately, I used to go to the gym but found I was in agony with a flare for a few days after, by which time I've eaten everything in the cupboards because there's bugger all else to do when you can't really do anything. Ultimately the nurse suggested either a sleeve or bypass, but with the risks associated with bypass, and the long term medication I don't think its for me, so I'm 100% certain a sleeve is the way to go. Have spent the last few days weighing up the pros and cons, doing research on the surgeon and talking to my partner about it (he works away through the week hence my dad coming with me). I've contacted the hospital to set up a meeting with the surgeon, Mr Decadt, and go to see him in 2 weeks! How soon after the surgeon consultation have people had their op? Thanks in advance, and thank you again for replying to my initial post :) x

When I had my consultation with my surgeon we settled on a date there and then, he had his diary with him. I was going on holiday so wanted to do the pre op diet when I came back.
Depending on his availability you could have your op as soon as 2 weeks after the consultation!!

Good luck and all the best xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yaaassssss! I'm so chuffed for you. Sounds like it went great. And lovely that you had your dad with you. I think I'm in denial about my diet and am not looking forward to having to face it head-on but as you say, only good things can come out of it in the end. It's great that having had the information you have an option you are happy with. Fingers crossed that op day will be here before you know it :) xxx

Aw thank you :) I know what you mean about denial, for too long that's where I've been but somehow I seem to have found a bit of determination to get this knocked on the head. I CAN do it!

Fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed! Xx

When I had my consultation with my surgeon we settled on a date there and then, he had his diary with him. I was going on holiday so wanted to do the pre op diet when I came back. Depending on his availability you could have your op as soon as 2 weeks after the consultation!! Good luck and all the best xx Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh that's excellent! Hopefully my consultant will be able to pencil me in during the appointment :) how did you find the pre op diet? Was it 2 weeks? Most seem to be from what I've read online xx

Mine is 2 weeks although been trying to start it early. It's getting better though. Day 1 only did brekkie, day 2 did brekkie and lunch and afternoon snack, today hopefully the whole thing as tomorrow is the actual day I MUST start. I guess I am lucky as mine involves proper meals just tiny tiny ones :(

Good way of easing yourself in to it, even though it'll feel very dramatic I bet.

Good news today, weighed myself and am already 2.6lbs down from my consultation with the nurse :-D x

Woo hoo

I found pre op diet quite easy, I had the food one, lots of omelettes and salad etc. Spire Cheshire only did the food one

Had my appointment with Mr Decadt today and surgery is booked for Monday 17 August - only 4 weeks away! I've got the dietician ringing me on Thursday to discuss the liver reduction diet, then wait for confirmation of the big day :-D will have to get a diary set up to start tracking everything soon! Xx

Had my appointment with Mr Decadt today and surgery is booked for Monday 17 August - only 4 weeks away! I've got the dietician ringing me on Thursday to discuss the liver reduction diet, then wait for confirmation of the big day :-D will have to get a diary set up to start tracking everything soon! Xx

Fantastic news good luck xx

Good luck Ali, how exciting.
I'm hopefully having a gastric sleeve on August 21st so not long after you. Will be good to share tips x

Thank you everyone! So happy!

Good luck Ali, how exciting. I'm hopefully having a gastric sleeve on August 21st so not long after you. Will be good to share tips x

Ooh awesome, where are you having yours done? Yeh it'll be good to share tips and how we're getting on. Can't wait!

Back